Help cat pushes water dish around

tweetykiss

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I give her water at least twice a day but she keeps pushing it around and spills the water. I am worried about her health. Should I take her to vet?

rad65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is perfectly normal behavior for cats. Does she not drink any of it, and is that why you're worried? Both my cats love pushing over cups and water bowls, so I had to start using heavy bowls to weigh them down. I'm not sure what a vet could do for a cat that is simply playing with her water bowl. Try putting her bowl inside a roast pan so the water doesn't get everywhere and so the bowl can't move around as much. You could also try heavier bowls that she won't be able to move.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A nice heavy stoneware bowl should take care of that.

Are you only giving her water twice a day? She should ALWAYS have water available. It's not healthy for her to have her water limited.

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh
I have two water loving cats!! This is normal behavior. My Perla dips her paw in the water and licks the water off of her paw. I have very heavy crock water bowls. Those stay put and the cats cannot push them or tip them over.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tweetykiss

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks for your replies and your help. I will buy a much heavier bowl so she cannot push it around.

my4llma

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by tweetykiss

I will buy a much heavier bowl so she cannot push it around.
That's what we did with both the food, and the water dishes. You can get heavier dishes at Petco, that's where we got ours.

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have two who push the fountain around before they drink. Some cats like to see the water move - if you can afford it an electric fountain is the answer, where the water flows and they love that. Otherwise havy bowls or put the bowl in a pastic tray so the water does not spill onto the floor.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We have a cat at the shelter who plays in her water bowl until it's empty and everything else is soaked! It might be boredom in her case, but she's still pretty silly.

On the other hand, she's a wonderful little cat with a unique face. I would have no fear in warning anyone who adopted her to be ready for a a "water cat."

apnelson

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Rodney does that too, but I think it's because he prefers moving water. When I got one of the fountain water dishes, he didn't really push it around, but when I used any other one (including one of the water dishes with the big reservoir at the back) he would always flip them over.

The one I have is a small Drinkwell, and I think it was around $40