HELP! Cat peeing everywhere!

gravekandi

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Ziggy has been peeing in my room in random places and occasionally in other areas of the basement. She just turned 3 and had her first UTI a month ago that was treated with antibiotics. I took her back in for a follow-up last week and they checked her pee and she was given a clean bill of health. I haven't changed her litter or introduced anything new that I can think of into the home. Her eating and drinking habits haven't changed. I'm at a complete loss with her recent behavior :( please help

boellp

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
my cat has a similar issue but are the areas where Ziggy pees personal belongings? I know my cat is having a issue with that right now. has anything major changed that could distress her??

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gravekandi

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The only thing I can think of is that the last couple of months I've been spending a night or two at my boyfriends place. But I've been doing that for 4 ish months now and I always leave her clean water in both her water fountains and bowl, food to munch on and a clean litter box. Plus my brothers always home. She has mostly been peeing on my bed and on any pants that I leave on the ground. Last night she peed on her own blanket and just an hour ago she tried to pee on my vanity.

Last edited:

boellp

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
yea that sounds more like my cat, its like a targeted pee, my cat does that now and its annoying, she uses her litter box and doesn't pee on the floor but let my clothes be out and they she just pees. from what others have been telling me about this is that its either a UTI but since you just got her taken care of for that make its just a behavioral phase where she wants more attention.

gravekandi

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You think it's all due to wanting more attention? :( Gonna have to try to figure out how to make more time for her.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
What are you using to clean up where she has gone?  You need a good enzyme cleaner to remove the scent to her noses' satisfaction.  If she can smell it; it may attract her back.

She could be avoiding the box because of remembered pain.  Some people find adding some Cat Attract litter to the box helpful.  

gravekandi

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm using the nature's miracle sprays to clean the areas. She poops in her litter box but I'll try out the cat attract litter. I'm planning on after work tomorrow or tonight to get her a new litter box so I'll pick some of that while I'm at it.

catlover73

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

What are you using to clean up where she has gone?  You need a good enzyme cleaner to remove the scent to her noses' satisfaction.  If she can smell it; it may attract her back.

She could be avoiding the box because of remembered pain.  Some people find adding some Cat Attract litter to the box helpful.  
I agree about the possible remembered pain. My vet suggested I get a brand new litter box and put it near where Sonny had his accident.  Hubby did not want a litter box in his man cave.  I put the extra litter box in my master bathroom since Sonny also hangs out on the bed a lot. He used that litter box for about a week before he started going back to his old box in the basement. The reason the vet told me to set up a new litter box was to break any possible association between the pain from the UTI and his litter box. 

Does Ziggy hang out with your brother at all while you are gone?  If your brother is willing to spend time with Ziggy and she is comfortable with him then perhaps you could try having your brother play with her and feed sometimes while you are home.  It may help to try to get her to be more comfortable around your brother so she does not feel lonely when you are away overnight. I wonder if you are dealing with some form of separation anxiety from Ziggy.

I am going to see if I can find an article on this issue.

http://www.thecatsite.com/a/separation-anxiety-in-cats

Maybe take a look at this article and ask your brother how Ziggy is acting when you are gone.

gravekandi

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
She's extremely needy when I leave apparently :( but I did go buy her a new litter box and i put it in my bedroom l. I also bought the cat attract litter and so far that has been working.

Last edited:

ceedee54

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Is there anything going on in the neighborhood? My cat started peeing when the cable company was working on our street. They were noisy and I think she was either upset or just trying to tell me something was wrong. She quit but she started again when the neighbor got a dog (a yappy one). So I leave a mat out with a pee pad under it. Toss it in the wash if she uses it.