Help! Cat On Seventh Day Of Heat!

DanzMez

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Speaking of trying acupuncture to in heat cats, would that effect her in heat cycle as well? Because mine has reached her 7th day and she’s still yowling and calling for a male cat like crazy! And i dont really know the signs when the female cat’s cycle comes to an end.. i’m so desperate at the moment because of her loud yowling all the time.. i tried all methods with her but nothing really works :( does anyone know the signs when a cat is coming over with her cycle? I need any information at the moment to ease my brain and make me sleep already :’) its been 7 non sleeping days for me..and i pre-booked already for spaying her on the 18th..and none of the clinics in my area accepts spaying a cat while she’s in heat.. :(

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Speaking of trying acupuncture to in heat cats, would that effect her in heat cycle as well? Because mine has reached her 7th day and she’s still yowling and calling for a male cat like crazy! And i dont really know the signs when the female cat’s cycle comes to an end.. i’m so desperate at the moment because of her loud yowling all the time.. i tried all methods with her but nothing really works :( does anyone know the signs when a cat is coming over with her cycle? I need any information at the moment to ease my brain and make me sleep already :’) its been 7 non sleeping days for me..and i pre-booked already for spaying her on the 18th..and none of the clinics in my area accepts spaying a cat while she’s in heat.. :(
Hello and welcome!! No. They won't spay a cat while she is in heat. Hang in there and KEEP HER IN THE HOUSE!! Cats are masters of escape to begin with but one who is REALLY determined to get out will find a way even if they have to go through a window screen to do it. Hopefully someone with experience in cats/acupuncture will chime in.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

DanzMez

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you so much for your reply and for your help as well. I noticed the date after posting the comment earlier.. guess the yowling drugged my brain for days haha! Actually i live in an apartment in the 31st floor lol and gladly we dont have any male cats neighbouring us. However, My baby cat will never give up calling for her prince charming lol. Oh, and i also tried using de-stressing remedies, but none worked on her as well, and i also read about giving the injections and stuff to probably stop or sooth her cycle.. but i heard it might cause her few side effects because of these injections, and i could never do anything to harm my baby :( so i’m still hoping that her cycle ends today, though she’s still screaming as if its still her first day in her estrus period, i dont know if thats normal or its just a sign that her cycle will go on for 14 days in total... oh boy, i got stoned only by imagining that

DanzMez

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
DanzMez DanzMez - Megestrol Acetate (i.e. "OvaBan") will break the heat cycle and allow her to be spayed. Your veterinarian should be able to supply it directly.
I dont really know what that is, but i hope it solves my problem, i’ll contact my veteranian now and ask him if we could do this to my little one.. Thats very helpful information, thank you so much! <3

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
Let us know how you go. I once had a cat that was meant to be spayed but wasn't, and I was nowhere near a vet for about four days. I really do commiserate..:alright:

DanzMez

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Let us know how you go. I once had a cat that was meant to be spayed but wasn't, and I was nowhere near a vet for about four days. I really do commiserate..:alright:
I’m sure you went through a lot dealing with your kitty :’).
Well, i did contact him, and he told me it’s too late now for giving her pills or injections, cause for the pills, it needs 2 days for the process to work. And he told me that the normal heat cycle would last for 10 days, so basically i’m left with 3 days now.. and his last advice was to be patient for 3 days.... :D i can't be happier hearing this :’)

saleri

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hello and welcome!! No. They won't spay a cat while she is in heat. Hang in there and KEEP HER IN THE HOUSE!! Cats are masters of escape to begin with but one who is REALLY determined to get out will find a way even if they have to go through a window screen to do it. Hopefully someone with experience in cats/acupuncture will chime in.
Why is that? The vet that I take my kittens to spays while a kitten is in heat, cost a few extra dollars, but they do it.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The blood vessels are more engorged when a cat is in heat, so there's more blood and the operation is more complicated. Most vets will still do an in-heat spay, some charge extra, but some vets prefer not to do it at all which can get really complicated once she's cycling in and out of heat :/.

DanzMez

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The blood vessels are more engorged when a cat is in heat, so there's more blood and the operation is more complicated. Most vets will still do an in-heat spay, some charge extra, but some vets prefer not to do it at all which can get really complicated once she's cycling in and out of heat :/.
Thats true, in fact i did find one clinic today that does that, but its too expensive!! Like waaaay too expensive than the normal prices for spaying in heat cats. I guess because they are the only clinic that accepts doing the surgery for in heat female cats in my area, so they’re dealing with this matter as a good business that supports their own benefits.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a really good husband and wife vet team. :) She does most of the surgery it would seem. We took in a stray a few years ago, and she went in heat the next day or so, right before her spay visit. The vet had us wait 10 days, and rescheduled, but she would go out of heat, then back in the next day. :( the vet went ahead and did the spay, while she was in heat, she said it was much harder, and more delicate. It did cost more. I trust our vet when she said she could do the surgery, maybe not all are experienced at it. It worked fine for our girl, no problems. But i agree it is safer to wait if at all possible. Or find a vet with experience in working on one in heat.

your cat is a very pretty girl! :)

DanzMez

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a really good husband and wife vet team. :) She does most of the surgery it would seem. We took in a stray a few years ago, and she went in heat the next day or so, right before her spay visit. The vet had us wait 10 days, and rescheduled, but she would go out of heat, then back in the next day. :( the vet went ahead and did the spay, while she was in heat, she said it was much harder, and more delicate. It did cost more. I trust our vet when she said she could do the surgery, maybe not all are experienced at it. It worked fine for our girl, no problems. But i agree it is safer to wait if at all possible. Or find a vet with experience in working on one in heat.

your cat is a very pretty girl! :)
Thank you so much <3 she is very pretty indeed, her sweet and loving personality is one of a kind :happycat::happycat:
Omg thats exactly what my vet said, he told me to wait 10 days anyways, if she was still in heat then he’ll do the surgery for an in heat cat, i don't really know if my vet is good to be honest lol. For the other clinic, the price is too expensive and i can't really afford to pay that at the moment :( i hope her cycle ends on the 10th day already.. will let you guys know the updates regarding this matter. Its her 9th day now, wish me good luck! :redheartpump::cheerleader:

Mama to the crew

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Um i currently have three in heat right now so i feel for you truly do. Mine keep draging each other back in will be happy when march gets here

DanzMez

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Um i currently have three in heat right now so i feel for you truly do. Mine keep draging each other back in will be happy when march gets here
Omg! Three cats in heat? I can barely handle 1 at the moment haha! Well, best of luck to you sweetie, i hope the cycle ends in 5 to 6 days :( cause mine is now in her 10th day and she’s still showing the annoying signs of her estrus cycle :’) its driving me insane.. i’m waiting to check her condition tomorrow, if the cycle is still going, i’m defiantly taking her to the vet to stop her cycle and spay her afterwards. :(

DanzMez

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So finally, i managed to drop my cat today at the clinic to get her spayed, the surgery was successful, and they asked me if i want to leave the cat overnight or take her home today evening... what do you guys recommend? I’m not that experienced with spayed cats to be honest, and would like to check your advices of how to deal with a spayed female cat after the surgery :D
Also, the vet mentioned something about “it will take time for the hormones to leave her body after getting spayed right after her heat cycle”.. is this a normal thing? I mean, would she get in heat again? And how long will it take for the hormones to leave her body?

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She might act like she's still in heat at first. It does take a while for the hormone levels to go down.

If you bring her home tonight, she'll still be loopy from the anesthetic, and you would have to keep her from walking off the stairs or doing anything else that's dangerous. If you get her tomorrow morning she should be back to normal. It would probably be easier for you to let her stay overnight, it just depends on if you feel like fussing over her tonight or not :D.

Brian007

Furmate and Famulus
Top Cat
Purraise
It depends on the cat as to how well they recover from spay surgery, as some bounce back immediately as though nothing ever happened and others are woozy and a wee bit delicate & sensitive. If it were me, I'd bring her home at the earliest opportunity and pamper her, but it's up to you if you want to leave her overnight. If you bring her home make a safe room for her where she won't be bothered and can't fall off anything.

As for potential heat symptoms, if she has any, I'd contact your vet because it could be an indicator that some ovarian tissue were left in her body. She's not overly likely to show any further signs of heat though from now on. And, in all likelihood will be purrfectly fine after her surgery (surprisingly not bothered, even) but you may get a shock at how bald she's been shaved and by her scary looking scar.

:grouphug:

DanzMez

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you guys for your amazing advices!
Actually i followed the advice and brought her home right away! Surprisingly, my baby cat was purring the moment she saw me, even when she was still under the anaesthetic effect!

She became extremely affectionate after her surgery, and she is eating, drinking, and sleeping just perfectly normal :D! However, she is in that phase where they start feeling like licking and removing the stitches on their belly, and even with her E-collar on, she can almost reach the area (i don't know how) and try to lick it. She did succeed in removing the plasters on top of her stitches, and now she is trying again to reach the area and lick it, but i stop her immediately before she does that.

Thankfully, no signs for any heat symptoms, i think my cat is doing fine after all!

Thank you all again for your lovely replies!