Help! Cat keeps attacking me

Meg142!

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My year old male cat, who is nutered, has all of a sudden started attacking me. It has slowly progressed and has gotten worse and worse over the past few months.

He started out with biting ankles as I walked by, which evolved into him stalking me around waiting for the chance to pounce. When I started to notice him stalking, I would offer a toy, either a wand ,a laser light, ball, mouse, ect. However, he would get bored within a minute or two and wait until I started walking again to attack.

Then today was probably the worst he has ever been. He came up to sit next to me on the couch and all of a sudden out of the corner of my eye I see him launch himself, claws out, at my face. I put my arm up to block him and he just latched on and I had to grab him by the scruff and pull him off my arm. He left several bleeding scratches and bite marks on me.

Another thing I have noticed is that he will get frisky with anyone who has been sitting down for more than a few minutes. We spray him with a bottle because if we try to get up or remove him he attacks us again.

I honestly have no idea what his problem is. I play with him for a good 30 minutes twice a day (if he doesn't get bored with his dozens of toys and go back to attacking me instead) and nothing is helping.

Is it just because he's still a kitten? Or maybe a dominance thing? He is a very confident cat so I don't think this is something he is doing because he's stressed. Nothing has changed in the house recently so I'm at a loss.

I have several other toys on their way and hopefully something in there will keep him interested. I was contemplating maybe a second cat? But I don't own my house and it was tough just to get the one I have now allowed in. Plus, if this is a dominance thing, is be worried about bringing another cat in and having even more issues.

Please help! I miss the sweet kitten I use to have!

I'm just tired of walking around my house in fear, just waiting for him to jump on me out of no where.

crystal dawn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I understand, and I've felt the same way. It took me a few weeks for me to teach my cats that attacking me means things they don't like happen. Being sprayed didn't work for a few, so we had to use other methods that I don't remember at the moment. Jackson Galaxy may have a video on some things you can do to train him out of attacking you.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
M Meg142! : So sorry this is happening to you. How scary. 🤗

Something must have triggered this behaviour, as I don't think it's because he's still young.

Did *anything* change in the household around the time he first started to get aggressive?
Any new people? New schedules? New laundry detergent? Anything?

Also, is he an only pet? If not, does he get along ok with his "siblings"?

How is his behaviour otherwise? Eating ok? Litter box usage normal? It's possible he's not feeling well, so a vet visit might not be a bad idea. Or at least call your vet and tell them what's going on, and get their opinion/advice.

About the scratches and bites, please keep a close eye on any that break the skin, as they could become infected. Here's a TCS article with more info: Ouch! More Than You Ever Wanted To Know About Cat Bites – Cat Articles

Plus a couple articles on aggression:
Cat Aggression Toward People | TheCatSite
Why Do Cats Attack? | TheCatSite

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Meg142!

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
M Meg142! : So sorry this is happening to you. How scary. 🤗

Something must have triggered this behaviour, as I don't think it's because he's still young.

Did *anything* change in the household around the time he first started to get aggressive?
Any new people? New schedules? New laundry detergent? Anything?

Also, is he an only pet? If not, does he get along ok with his "siblings"?

How is his behaviour otherwise? Eating ok? Litter box usage normal? It's possible he's not feeling well, so a vet visit might not be a bad idea. Or at least call your vet and tell them what's going on, and get their opinion/advice.

About the scratches and bites, please keep a close eye on any that break the skin, as they could become infected. Here's a TCS article with more info: Ouch! More Than You Ever Wanted To Know About Cat Bites – Cat Articles

Plus a couple articles on aggression:
Cat Aggression Toward People | TheCatSite
Why Do Cats Attack? | TheCatSite
It actually started just after we had him fixed. About a week after being nutered he started with attacking ankles when we walked past and started to get worse from there. At first I thought that maybe it was because he was in pain/ wasn't feeling good from the sedative but he just never stopped even after he was fully healed.
He has one dog sibling and they get along great together. My cat tries to initiate play but my dog is a little older and usually ignores him. Perhaps he's getting frustrated and then when I come home from work takes it out in me?

Thanks for the resources! He got me again pretty good this morning. Same thing as what happened last night. He was sitting nicely and then just out of nowhere started biting me.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
How strange that it started after neutering. I'm not sure if there'd be a connection to that, or just a coincidence. If you haven't already, I would mention it to your vet, as it might be something they'd heard of before.

amarshall0919

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have been through a very similar situation, but our stories are a little different so I’m not sure how much help I’ll be.

We have a one year old female cat named Smoothie. She was just recently spayed last week. The reason we had to get her spayed is because she had a radical and bizarre behavior change. One day out of the blue in July, she viciously attacked our 4 year old male cat, Midnight. This was not because of redirected aggression because all curtains were closed, and no tv was on. Nothing worse was happening in the moment besides I had just finished the dishes. Both cats are very healthy and have no health problems, so she did not attack him because of sickness or pain. She just randomly turned on him. She then attacked him again later that night. In the process of breaking them up, my husband and I got tore up.

We thought maybe it was a fluke, and separated them for awhile before trying the reintroduction process. When we tried to reintroduce them, all heck broke loose once more and it’s a very good thing we had her in the crate and Midnight in his harness or they would’ve fought again. The sounds that came out of her were ungodly. She wanted to tear him to pieces.

Another couple weeks go by and she turns on me. She attacks me as I come walking out of the kitchen. This is not a play attack, she is biting and scratching and screaming at me. Both legs are bleeding terribly. My husband had to get her away from me. A little bit later I accidentally fall down the stairs. This freaks her out and she almost attacks me again.

So after dealing with this behavior change for two months, the vets finally told us that getting her spayed should fix the problem because her hormones are extremely out of whack. They said that basically her hormones are severely out of control, and she feels as if everyone is out to get her.

It is possible that your neutered male cat may also be going through the same problem. Even though he was fixed before the problem started, there could be an issue with his hormones. The random attacking sounds very familiar to that of hormone problems.

Cat McCannon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
First, stop spraying your cat with water. This serves only to weaken the bond of trust between you and your cat.

Second, stop walking around your house in fear. Fear shows up in the body language which your cat will respond negatively to. Be confident and stay aware and learn to read your cat's body language so you can head off trouble before it begins. You'll probably still get scratched, but you can lessen the severity and frequency while figuring out how to solve the problem.

Although rare, it's possible the vet didn't get everything when the cat was neutered and is still producing testosterone. A vet can check for this.

Here are a couple of vids that might help-

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
First, stop spraying your cat with water. This serves only to weaken the bond of trust between you and your cat.

Second, stop walking around your house in fear. Fear shows up in the body language which your cat will respond negatively to. Be confident and stay aware and learn to read your cat's body language so you can head off trouble before it begins. You'll probably still get scratched, but you can lessen the severity and frequency while figuring out how to solve the problem.

Although rare, it's possible the vet didn't get everything when the cat was neutered and is still producing testosterone. A vet can check for this.

Here are a couple of vids that might help-

EXCELLENT vids, Cat McCannon Cat McCannon and TYSVM for sharing them. I just looked at both of them and as a lifelong cat lover, I learned from both of them!

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There is one method that I have used successfully because it has worked. It speaks the cat's language. Mama cats, when they are trying to show dominance or they need to discipline a rowdy kitten, grab them by the loose skin on the back of the neck and hold them to the ground until they stop struggling. This is called scruffing and is usually used as a last resort, which I'm sure you are near. The next time he comes towards you and starts to attack, grab him by the loose skin on the back of his neck and hold him to the ground. Hiss or say NO loudly while doing so. He will struggle, so hold on. He most likely will get mad and come at you again, so EVERY time you have him attack you must do this, eventually he will get the point, cats do not like to be held still. This 'attacking' usually happens when kittens are taken too soon from their cat family, they learn how to play nice and learn limits between 6 and 12 weeks old. Taken away before that they don't know how to play nice. Their siblings and mama teach them by paying them back for any hurt they inflict. NEVER pick a cat up this way, they are too heavy when older and it can injure them. Just hold him until he gets still say good boy and let him go. If he comes back at you, scruff him again, and again, until he stops, or put him in a small room like a bathroom for 10 minutes for a time out. Physical punishment like spraying or swatting does not work with cats like dogs, dogs are pack animals and want to please the alpha, cats are too independent. Spraying/swatting just makes them afraid of you and sneaky.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There is one method that I have used successfully because it has worked. It speaks the cat's language. Mama cats, when they are trying to show dominance or they need to discipline a rowdy kitten, grab them by the loose skin on the back of the neck and hold them to the ground until they stop struggling. This is called scruffing and is usually used as a last resort, which I'm sure you are near. The next time he comes towards you and starts to attack, grab him by the loose skin on the back of his neck and hold him to the ground. Hiss or say NO loudly while doing so. He will struggle, so hold on. He most likely will get mad and come at you again, so EVERY time you have him attack you must do this, eventually he will get the point, cats do not like to be held still. This 'attacking' usually happens when kittens are taken too soon from their cat family, they learn how to play nice and learn limits between 6 and 12 weeks old. Taken away before that they don't know how to play nice. Their siblings and mama teach them by paying them back for any hurt they inflict. NEVER pick a cat up this way, they are too heavy when older and it can injure them. Just hold him until he gets still say good boy and let him go. If he comes back at you, scruff him again, and again, until he stops, or put him in a small room like a bathroom for 10 minutes for a time out. Physical punishment like spraying or swatting does not work with cats like dogs, dogs are pack animals and want to please the alpha, cats are too independent. Spraying/swatting just makes them afraid of you and sneaky.
Not wanting to argue, but according to experts and to someone who has lived with cats since birth (me), cats are not sneaky. That is a negative stereotype and a dangerous one. Spraying does make cats distrust the one who does this, for obvious reasons, just as it would if it was done to us. Swatting is abuse. Period.

Leslieh

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My year old male cat, who is nutered, has all of a sudden started attacking me. It has slowly progressed and has gotten worse and worse over the past few months.

He started out with biting ankles as I walked by, which evolved into him stalking me around waiting for the chance to pounce. When I started to notice him stalking, I would offer a toy, either a wand ,a laser light, ball, mouse, ect. However, he would get bored within a minute or two and wait until I started walking again to attack.

Then today was probably the worst he has ever been. He came up to sit next to me on the couch and all of a sudden out of the corner of my eye I see him launch himself, claws out, at my face. I put my arm up to block him and he just latched on and I had to grab him by the scruff and pull him off my arm. He left several bleeding scratches and bite marks on me.

Another thing I have noticed is that he will get frisky with anyone who has been sitting down for more than a few minutes. We spray him with a bottle because if we try to get up or remove him he attacks us again.

I honestly have no idea what his problem is. I play with him for a good 30 minutes twice a day (if he doesn't get bored with his dozens of toys and go back to attacking me instead) and nothing is helping.

Is it just because he's still a kitten? Or maybe a dominance thing? He is a very confident cat so I don't think this is something he is doing because he's stressed. Nothing has changed in the house recently so I'm at a loss.

I have several other toys on their way and hopefully something in there will keep him interested. I was contemplating maybe a second cat? But I don't own my house and it was tough just to get the one I have now allowed in. Plus, if this is a dominance thing, is be worried about bringing another cat in and having even more issues.

Please help! I miss the sweet kitten I use to have!

I'm just tired of walking around my house in fear, just waiting for him to jump on me out of no where.
I had a cat that was an adult rescue..Suddenly after 9 months he started viciously attacking me, terrible biting. She also started displaying extreme obsessive behaviour, scratching the walls for hours at a time and screeching. The attacks worsened. Tried every possible medication for 4 years (prozac and similar drugs, valium etc). Nothing helped. When he started lunging at my face and biting it in my sleep she became too dangerous and had to br euthanized. She could have blinded me. Sometimes they just are not wired right (what my vet said). If your cat is causing you injury you may have no other option. Don't wait 4 yr like I did..... no one needs an animal they're afraid of. Do not keep animal that has you living in fear! Thats not why people have companion animals!

CatladyJan

<><
Top Cat
Purraise
No more water spraying it doesn't help! If he was just recently neutered sometimes they carry over the sexual behavior until their body adjusts. It can be behavioral such as establishing hierarchy.
I changed my cats food one time and they weren't happy I received a lot of stalking and leg biting... until I switched back.

GustifursMom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Your cat needs a stern but loving and consistent approach. When they behave inappropriately just say no and walk away. In your next interaction be loving as if nothing happened previously. Repeat until the behavior improves.

Meg142!

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I had a cat that was an adult rescue..Suddenly after 9 months he started viciously attacking me, terrible biting. She also started displaying extreme obsessive behaviour, scratching the walls for hours at a time and screeching. The attacks worsened. Tried every possible medication for 4 years (prozac and similar drugs, valium etc). Nothing helped. When he started lunging at my face and biting it in my sleep she became too dangerous and had to br euthanized. She could have blinded me. Sometimes they just are not wired right (what my vet said). If your cat is causing you injury you may have no other option. Don't wait 4 yr like I did..... no one needs an animal they're afraid of. Do not keep animal that has you living in fear! Thats not why people have companion animals!
We are definitely not at that point.I don't think I could ever do that. Not to shame you or anything for you decision but I would either deal with it or re-home to someone who was willing and able to work with his behavior.

He definitely just has some kitten behavior that for whatever, he hasn't gotten over with.

Meg142!

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks everyone for your input. He hasn't done it since, and in fact, hasn't gone after my ankles since then either. I'm wondering if for whatever he just had a lot of pent up energy and took it out on me. I did get him a ton of new toys and a food puzzle for some extra brain stimulation and so far he really likes everything! I'm hoping that whatever caused him to attack like that was just a one and done deal 🤞

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks everyone for your input. He hasn't done it since, and in fact, hasn't gone after my ankles since then either. I'm wondering if for whatever he just had a lot of pent up energy and took it out on me. I did get him a ton of new toys and a food puzzle for some extra brain stimulation and so far he really likes everything! I'm hoping that whatever caused him to attack like that was just a one and done deal 🤞
Thank you for loving him and staying committed to him! New toys and a food puzzle should be just what he wants and needs. :goldstar::clap::redheartpump:

Meg142!

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi if healthcheck has been give an ok, can i bring to your attention the following article, labelled understanding feline impulse status aggression.

[/URL]
Thank you! The vet chalked it up to him still being young. But this really seems like what is going on. The last time he attacked me he sat on the couch next to me and stared at me for a bit before attacking. He will go several days without an issue and then all of a sudden there will be a two day period where no matter what I do he will pounce. I've also noticed that if he sees me coming to the living room, he will automatically jump in the chair where I sit so I have to pick him up and move him. Some times this results in him biting and other times as soon as I put him down he jumps right back up again.

And as I mentioned above, there's times where he will get frisky with a person if they are sitting for a longer period of time. Like if I'm sitting down watching a movie with my feet up, he will get up on my legs and go to town.

When I have my back turned he will lunge at my legs and then jump back and if I don't react, he will lunge and jump back a few more times. I didn't think of it before but it does seem like he's trying to here me in a certain direction. I'll have to do some more research on this!

japam

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I think your vet conveying age as a variable is wrong in this instance as cats are as they say creatures of habit.

From experience and not to your extreme i use scent, sound and making changes in the enviroment to my advantage, this involves just watching the cat from a distance and seeing how they go about their day.

If i do't want a cat to go somewhere i will move things around that make it near impossible to go to that spot, or use smells i know the cat dislikes, to keep them away from that area.

I also use a can of air duster for computers in my pocket, and if they are just being catty, will press the nozzle, whilst still in my pocket, the cat will interpret that sound as a hiss, and will know to back off.

I would definetly put a bell on the cat for the time being or ask the vet to do so, this will give you a heads up on the cats whereabouts, also as the cat is anticipating your every move, using your example illustrated above 'jumping into the chair', i would sit in another chair, rather than you usual one.

Cats don't like being picked up period, as they are not in control, kittens you can get away with it, but adult cats, you really do have to be careful, you getting up to remove him is antagonistic, as they see that current spot as theirs, think another cat invading the home cats territory.

The cat is trying to bait you, to justify it's reaction, why, is a bit of a head scratcher[why do they feel the need to be on high alert around you].

I would start the research at cats natural enviroment in the wild, when would they exhibit the same behaviour and go from there.

Another thing i would look into is the diet, is there an ingredient in what the cat is eating that is creating some form imbalance in the body.

Is the cat spraying or marking any rooms in the house, are they using the litter box regularly, smell is also another thing to consider, is any of your household products, containing ingredients that rub the cat the wrong way, i've discovered that lilly valley shake n vac, cinnamon, and clove oil, causes cats to go barmy and mark their territory.