Help! Cat just walked in and cant’ put any weight on paw.

reba

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
She hasn’t been outside at all. She plays pretty crazy with her chase toys. I noticed she was limping slightly earlier but now she can’t put any weight on it at all. I can put her in a playpen until the morning - the evet is full right now. Any opinons much appreciated.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you know what toy she was playing with and where? Curious what the cause is. Playpen is an excellent idea.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Is she older? Look for swelling and check the paw pads too and see if she is holding it in an odd position. Just things to collect information on if you are planning to contact an evet.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

reba

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
She plays pretty robustly, chasing a toy on string. I usually run it along the rug, but she does jump at it as well. She probably just jumped at the toy and landed wrong. Despite this she is in pretty good spirits and still wants to play even though she can’t put any weight on her paw. She’s in the playpen now. Used the litter box somehow. It’s one of her front paws.

reba

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Is she older? Look for swelling and check the paw pads too and see if she is holding it in an odd position. Just things to collect information on if you are planning to contact an evet.
No she’s only 2 or 3.

PNWCatMama

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sorry to hear! Keep her rested obviously and try to avoid letting her get too crazy in case she strained anything.

I'd say if she's still not bearing weight by the morning it'd be a good idea to bring her to the vet to have a professional check if she hurt herself or if its minor. :) <3 Best of luck.

One of my dear kitties had a similar problem ages ago - turns out she'd hurt a nail that got caught on a cat tree. Check her claws too, if she'll let you.

CuriousKittens

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Also check if her paw feels cold to the touch or if the paw pads are pale. Then she definitely needs a vet.

Otherwise yeah, check her nails, pads, skin for any problems. See if it's painful to the touch, painful to extend or flex (from toes to shoulder), or hot to the touch somewhere.

reba

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thank you for all the replies. Just to update, she was fine a few days later.