Help! Cat IBD symptoms

Chavi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello everyone!

I was wondering if anyone had any tips...my cat, Theo has been having diarrhea issues since last year with occasional blood in his stools, no vomiting, full of energy, normal urine and nothing else has changed. Vets really don't do anything and haven't even consulted me on how to handle possible IBD, diet, nutrition or anything! I've seen 4 different ones about it. His vitamin B12 levels are good, he has inflammation in his intestines.

Last year he lost so much weight but I was able to get him at a healthy weight after reading up on IBD and cat nutrition. I've tried several probiotics over the past year (Jarrow Saccharomyces boulardii+ MOS, NOW Probiotic 10, NOW Acidophilus + Bifidus, Vitality Science Feline Comfort Plus, Perfect 3 Grass Blend Fermented) along with brand changes in wet canned food (Ziwi Peak, Stella & Chewy who offers it in a tetra pak, Instinct, Weruva, Hound & Gatos, Feline Natural) and have yet been able to get him to have firmer stools. He either squirts liquid diarrhea or has diarrhea with just a bit of blob form but not much else. It's very frustrating as I don't want to see him struggling or hurting. I just want him to be normal again. I've tried commercial raw foods as well and he won't touch them at all. Same goes for freeze dried foods. I've tried making my own raw food which he'll eat if there's nothing else added to the raw chicken. But he needs the other vitamins, minerals etc. so I've tried adding Food Fur Life's EZ Complete bit by bit but after a certain amount added he won't touch it. The vet doesn't think he has an allergy but even so for now I buy him venison, lamb, rabbit (which he mostly doesn't like except for Instinct's), duck, turkey, rarely beef, no seafood). He's extremely picky so it's hard to find a brand and flavor of that brand he'll end up liking 😭. I also double check for certain ingredients IBD cats should avoid.
Screenshot_20210511-190808_Photos.jpg
Screenshot_20210511-162314_Photos.jpg
20210429_011215.jpg
Screenshot_20210417-182734_Photos.jpg

Please if anyone can offer tips if they've had a picky eater with the same issues. Thank you so much!!! Theo and I are so grateful!!!

Much love and health to everyone, stay safe!

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat throws up all the healthy good for her brands. What she hasn't thrown up is fancy feast turkey and giblets and simply nourish so maybe it's the agar agar that she can't eat. Also eats cooked ground pork with ez complete
Also eats nutro perfect portions

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Beautiful boy. Why does your vet discount an allergy? Do you notice any difference in his stools if you feed say chicken. Try Psillium, a pinch mixed into his food twice a day.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Chavi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
What she hasn't thrown up is fancy feast turkey and giblets and simply nourish so maybe it's the agar agar that she can't eat.
Hmmm I'll see if I can try that next, thank you!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Chavi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Beautiful boy. Why does your vet discount an allergy? Do you notice any difference in his stools if you feed say chicken. Try Psillium, a pinch mixed into his food twice a day.
Thank you very much! I'll find some on the iherb website

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
If you have small pet stores pick up some earthborn chicken. My cats love it high protein,fiber(not all cats need it),low carb. Also nutro perfect portions onlineq

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Is your cat taking any medication for the IBD? Flare ups can cause diarrhea and a reluctance to eat many foods. Steroid such as prednisolone is usually prescribed. Other medicines may be needed depending on the cat's symptoms. Cerena and an appetite stimulant and antacids are common. Sometimes you have to be a bit pushy and more proactive in your cat's care to get a vet to prescribe medicine.