HELP! Cat gasping / coughing / gagging?

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sunday morning update!
Thank you for this good news/bad news update! It really is good news that she hasn't been coughing. And even the bad news (other than the sneezing, that is) does sound like it could be coming from the antibiotics. I wonder if the stomach spasms could just be her body thinking it's going to sneeze but then stopping. (As Allergic Person, I can say that I do things like this at times.)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

frazzfox

Mama to Kila the Calico
Young Cat
Purraise
lisahe lisahe That's kind of what I was thinking about the stomach thing! The sneezing has seemed to relax a little throughout the day, she hasn't done it since earlier this morning. Tbh I'd much rather have sneezing than coughing at this point. At least the sneezing won't scar her lungs like coughing will. And the fact that there's improvement at all tells me we're one step closer to solving this!

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
lisahe lisahe That's kind of what I was thinking about the stomach thing! The sneezing has seemed to relax a little throughout the day, she hasn't done it since earlier this morning. Tbh I'd much rather have sneezing than coughing at this point. At least the sneezing won't scar her lungs like coughing will. And the fact that there's improvement at all tells me we're one step closer to solving this!
Yes, that's exactly what I'd be thinking, too, about these improvements being one step closer to solving it! Here's hoping!

frazzfox

Mama to Kila the Calico
Young Cat
Purraise
lisahe lisahe Kila is doing well! The sneezing fits have resolved, she hasn't coughed in over a week, and she's still taking her medicine like a champ. <3 Her stomach twitching has also stopped so I think that was sneeze-related. She'll be on the antibiotics until Monday and then a little after that we'll be adjusting the antihistamine dosage so I'll give further updates then!

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
lisahe lisahe Kila is doing well! The sneezing fits have resolved, she hasn't coughed in over a week, and she's still taking her medicine like a champ. <3 Her stomach twitching has also stopped so I think that was sneeze-related. She'll be on the antibiotics until Monday and then a little after that we'll be adjusting the antihistamine dosage so I'll give further updates then!
I'm so glad to hear this, frazzfox frazzfox , that's great news, wow!

frazzfox

Mama to Kila the Calico
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone! Just wanted to give one more update on Kila. She's off the antibiotics and we decreased her antihistamine dosage to 1/2 a pill a day (rather than a full pill). No coughing, sneezing, or wheezing at all anymore! I'm not sure if she maybe had a bacterial infection which presented as bronchitis, if she just had an extremely persistent URI after all, or if she was allergic to something that we ended up getting rid of, but we're so happy to have our girl back to normal again and I feel so lucky that it wasn't anything serious.

Thanks so much to everyone who offered advice and support! <3 This site is truly a godsend!

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone! Just wanted to give one more update on Kila. She's off the antibiotics and we decreased her antihistamine dosage to 1/2 a pill a day (rather than a full pill). No coughing, sneezing, or wheezing at all anymore! I'm not sure if she maybe had a bacterial infection which presented as bronchitis, if she just had an extremely persistent URI after all, or if she was allergic to something that we ended up getting rid of, but we're so happy to have our girl back to normal again and I feel so lucky that it wasn't anything serious.

Thanks so much to everyone who offered advice and support! <3 This site is truly a godsend!
I'm so glad to hear this, frazzfox frazzfox ! (I'm betting on a combination of all the things you mentioned, though particularly the "allergic to something that we ended up getting rid of" since I know how much difference that has made for me at various times in my life!)