HELP cat eats all food

lovinmom828

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
What do i do about a cat that eats all the time? I keep hiding his bags of cat food but he always finds a way to get to them and the last few times he has eaten the whole 2pound bag at one time. I had talked to his vet about this before and they just put him on Iams cat food, that worked for awhile but now he is back to his ways and eating the whole bag again is there something better i could be feeding him ? What can i do i have even put the cat food in a tub container and placed the container in the cuboard with a baby lock on the cuboard and he still has gotten threw it all to get to the food. Any advice? Howler goes back to the vet on Thursday for his shots i will ask the vet again about my concerns but i wanted to see if any of you had any ideas on what to do thanks

juliekit

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I would get a full blood panel done on this kitty. The fact that he is eating all the time and in excessive amounts indicates a serious problem. Have you tried putting him on 'light' food? I have heard that some cats that are put on light or weight managment foods can develop eating problems because they will not know when to stop eating.

Please get him to the vet as soon as possible. Eating a 2 pound bag of food is very dangerous for a small animal, and if he overeats enough he can rupture his stomach.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lovinmom828

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thanks Howler is going to the vet Thursday. I finally got the food hidden and under lock and key now so he can not get to it.

ryanjay

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Definatley would get blood on him(especially for thyroid, diabetes and kidney funtion. Good luck at the vet...surprised if yiu told them how he is about food they'd blow it off like that...eating THAT much isn't normal unless its pregnant mom(or piggy kittens discovering tunna or something for first time) RJ

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lovinmom828

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
We have a new vet now and i think he will be able to help a little more than the last vet we had i will update you all when i find out thanks so much for you advice