Help! Cat diarrhea after food change

Thevikingchick

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My kitten (7 months old) was having a really intense itching reaction after eating his wet food so I changed brands suddenly. I know WORST idea, but I was so worried about the itching. It's been 3 days and he now has full blown diarrhea. I have some of his old food left over should I try mixing some in with new food? Or power through next few days?

Help!

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
Oh dear. Are you sure the itching reaction was to the wet food? If so, I wouldn't be mixing it in.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Did you do a previous food change before the itchiness started?

Many members recommend using plain pumpkin as a way to help with diarrhea, just a tsp or so added to his food. If that doesn't work, or he doesn't like the flavor, you can try unflavored psyllium seed - 1/2 tsp, or a probiotic such as saccharomyces boullardi, about 1/2 of a capsule in his food at least twice a day.

After a few days of one of the above remedies, if the diarrhea doesn't start to slow down, and the itchiness isn't really any better, you might just want to go back to the old food and start over in trying to resolve the itchiness. There could be so many other causes.

minish

minish first..
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I don't know any diarrhea treatments but cats respond well to human diarrhea diet:low fat plus easily broken carbs, like plain boiled chicken breast mixed with plain boiled rice or potato. Greek yogurt if the cat likes it. It works in 1-2 days. You can add the new food bit by bit

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thevikingchick

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
No food changes before itchiness. Having said that our Minion cat (who has passed as of Wednesday RIP) was on a whatever he wanted diet since we knew he had only a week or so left and Nandor may have gotten a hold of stuff.

I contacted his rescue too and the gal said San Diego has very high pollen counts right now and his itchiness might be that. TBH I didn't even put two and two together, I am having a hard time breathing because of my own allergies! Since he's not having any respiratory issues, rash, and isn't scratching until he bleeds to put him back on the old food until his tummy resolves the diarrhea. The GI issues is the bigger concern. She recommended OTC kitty probiotics if after a day or two of a strict diet (no treats, human food, random things on the ground) things havent moved in the right direction.

After a week re-evaluate how he's doing on the old food and if I feel a food change warranted do it over the course is 10-14 days. So we'll see how it goes. Otherwise he's in good spirits and is not at all a picky eater, thank God for that. Since we just went through major medical issue we know how to check hydration levels etc so he's in good hands.

Thank you guys for the reply!!!

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No food changes before itchiness. Having said that our Minion cat (who has passed as of Wednesday RIP) was on a whatever he wanted diet since we knew he had only a week or so left and Nandor may have gotten a hold of stuff.

I contacted his rescue too and the gal said San Diego has very high pollen counts right now and his itchiness might be that. TBH I didn't even put two and two together, I am having a hard time breathing because of my own allergies! Since he's not having any respiratory issues, rash, and isn't scratching until he bleeds to put him back on the old food until his tummy resolves the diarrhea. The GI issues is the bigger concern. She recommended OTC kitty probiotics if after a day or two of a strict diet (no treats, human food, random things on the ground) things havent moved in the right direction.

After a week re-evaluate how he's doing on the old food and if I feel a food change warranted do it over the course is 10-14 days. So we'll see how it goes. Otherwise he's in good spirits and is not at all a picky eater, thank God for that. Since we just went through major medical issue we know how to check hydration levels etc so he's in good hands.

Thank you guys for the reply!!!
Sacharomyces boulardi yeast probiotics plus MOS (Jarrow brand) will help settle his intestines and will stop diarrhea

Thevikingchick

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Buy online or can I pick up in a pet store?

Mr. Meow

Special needs cat expert.
Super Cat
Purraise
You can pick up pretty much all ingredients in a store. You want as many items with as few ingredients as possible to lessen the chance he'll have more diarrhea.
I second the purée pumpkin mentioned above.

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Buy online or can I pick up in a pet store?
I’m buying it either from Amazon or iHerb, it’s the product for humans. I’ve also seen this in Whilefoods. Jarrow brand it’s the best as it contains prebiotic MOS along with s.boulardi and it’s the best combination. Start small by sprinkling 1/4 of capsule and increase with time. My guys won’t eat it with food so I’m giving it with lickable treats or baby food. It’s good to have it handy for situation like this.

Thevikingchick

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Good news, 24 hours later and the diarrhea is 100% cleared up. No probiotics or other addins required, just putting him on the old food. Hooray!

I'll keep his diet steady for a few more days before considering a food change. We are also due for our annual check up so I'll talk to the vet about possible allergies.

Thank you everyone for the support.