HELP! cat always bites my feet and…

BellasMumma

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Every night while we’re asleep she bites our feet and legs. How do I get my two yr old cat to stop?! I assume she’s playing because it doesn’t hurt. Also I do let her leave our bedroom sometimes but she usually sleeps with us.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

BellasMumma

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
not sure what you mean by let her leave your bedroom sometimes? your cat doesnt get free run of the house?if not the only suggestion i have is to play with and wear her out with maybe a lil snack after so she will sleep all night
Sometimes we shut the door sometimes we don’t. Thats what I mean. We do play with her during the day, but still doesn’t stop her from biting.

game misconduct

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sometimes we shut the door sometimes we don’t. Thats what I mean. We do play with her during the day, but still doesn’t stop her from biting.
lock her out at night then all together or soon as she bites put her outside for like five minutes or so then allow her back in will take a bit of patience along with few nights of less sleep but she will get the message and learn thats not allowed if she wants to sleep with you guys good luck to you

mayabear

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
not sure what you mean by let her leave your bedroom sometimes? your cat doesnt get free run of the house?if not the only suggestion i have is to play with and wear her out with maybe a lil snack after so she will sleep all night
I second this. I try to play with my cat right before bed, give her a little snack, and get into bed while she’s eating it. When I get into bed I actually go to sleep, or at least pretend to sleep (no reading or watching TV or anything), so she knows we are done for the day. Eventually we got into a routine. Sometimes she’s a little feisty at night but it usually works.

lisalu

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If you want a good nights sleep you probably need to put her out of the bedroom. Cats love to play with feet under the covers.
We shut Kitty out during the night and she doesn't like it. She has become accustomed to the bedtime routine now, so lately she has started parking herself right in front of my bedroom door because she wants to run in and soon as I open it. I have to lure her away with treats so I can get into my own bedroom! Then she starts meowing at the crack of dawn, anxious for us to get up. Sometimes it's like living with a rooster!

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
the second she bites hiss at her. This is what her mom or another kitten would do to tell her she's playing too hard, it hurts, stop it. If your timing is right she should push away from your foot and stop. It may take a couple of times since she is playing and may forget. Practice hissing away from her. You may spit a bit, but that won't hurt the hiss.

I found the hiss worked when all the other stuff - saying no, shaking a can of coins (who carries a can of coins around), screaming, stomping, dumping water on, either didn't work or were just too violent to try.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would kick her out of your room for the night every time she attacks your feet while you sleep. Run a fan or two to block out her meows. I would also leave your bedroom door open a crack & put different interactive toys you rotate in the living room.

I second playing with, then feeding her before bedtime. I would also keep all play out of the bedroom. Hissing at her when she attacks your feet is a good idea but you will not catch her in the act if you are asleep.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If your feet are under the cover when she attacks them, she may not realize they are your feet and not a mouse or chipmunk. Or she may realize it and think you are playing with her. You can try slowly moving your feet out from under the cover and seeing if she still attacks. don't count the first pounce as she may need a sniff to realize it's you. But if the attack continues after the first sniff or so, she's playing. It's really hard to tell a young animal that playing is wrong.