Help! Bully Cat Keeps Attacking My Cat!

Mittens my cat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Let me start off by saying my cat is an extremely nice cat... He never scratches anyone, He feels bad if he does, and just loves to snuggle more than anything in the world! I saved him about 3 months ago he was extremely scared and looked lost we tried finding out to see if he had an owner and no one claimed to be his owner. We think he was stranded and left to defend for himself mostly because we live out in the middle of no where out in the woods. We went to every house in the area. There's not many neighbors so it wasn't hard to go to every house in a 3 mile radius. No one wanted him and we are good people but were never cat people before we met him but he was different so we took him in... Fed him, groomed him, watered him, and most of all loved him like he was our own child. He spends a lot of time outdoors because we are a family of doing things outside and he always is fallowing someone around the yard and hates to be alone. Recently I walked outside and he was limping I instantly knew something was wrong. My family hunts its our way of life. We hunt ethically and appropriately. He kept getting injured and seemed scared constantly. So we set up a bunch of trail cameras around his favorite spots he hangs out at. We determined he was about the age of 5 years old so hes an older cat so he naps a lot too. He has several napping spots around the yard depending on the time of day and weather. So that's where we stationed the cameras. Then we saw a bad gross hairy looking cat about 2 and a half times his size. The cat walked up to our cat and started to attack him. Our cat loss miserably due to massive size difference. This has been happening a lot recently and I fear one day he might not be able to run after he gives in. I only seen this cat in person once I was walking out back with my .22 that i just recently bought recently for rabbit season this year. When I walked around the corner he was biting my cats ear and trying to pull. I instantly dropped my gun and chased it off. You may be thinking why didn't I shoot it, but you have to understand rifles and hunting. In hunting you always make sure of your surroundings and beyond your target and there was my house and my cat and my garage in potential harms way and I was not risking a shot that could possibly kill my beloved cat. After it ran away after i started to yell at the mean looking cat, yes I could have took it out with ease but like i said I hunt ethically and responsibly, I do not hunt to kill I hunt for food and tradition its my way of life. I had him under my scope but then said to myself thats not me and how I am, not at all. So I spared its life and the cat fights still continue and I now regret sparing its life because I now fear the worst may happen. I just don't want to resort to killing if I dont have to. So here I am trying to see if theres any other solution before it gets that far. Any help at all is greatly appreciated and I Thank anyone with any suggestions at all! I just dont want my cat to not show up in the garage during his feeding time or come across him laying there dead like a deer bled to death during bow season so please help!

katma

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Get your gentle cat inside out of harm's way. Maybe the mean cat will go somewhere else or find some voles to "play" with. I know your cat will miss his sun spots in the yard, but he'll be safe indoors. Enrich his time indoors with you by playing with him (gets the "ya-yas" out) and petting and spoiling.

If you have an enclosed screen porch, reinforce the screens with chicken wire so that the powerful cat can't rip the screens, and see if your little guy likes it out there.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Agree that you should keep your cat inside where you can keep him safe.

Is he neutered?

katma

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh my yes, a crucial question! Because if he's not neutered the other cat could be attacking a perceived "threat" to his territory.

Big meanie is probably unneutered and patrols a territory that includes your yard. I know one human who goes out and pees on the borders of his yard to keep out unwanted visitors. Maybe your male humans could try this (out of view of the neighbors) ;-)

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Please don't shoot the cat. Please kindly trap and neuter him if you can. He is only doing what instinct tells him to do. Is your cat neutered? That is what unfixed male cats do, they fight.