Help!! Bleeding Nipples Male Cat

JackBMom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm not sure how to really explain, so I'll post a picture...but does any one know how to help bald spots around/bleeding nipples? Approximately 3 year old male domestic short hair, indoor only... haven't changed anything.

Attachments

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
I see his fur on his left back leg is wet, is that from urine or him licking?
The right bald area almost looks like it's been scratched, poor guy. He's licking himself raw?
I know you said nothing has changed,
have you talked to a vet?

You might try this, both for its calming effects for your cat, and to help ease the raw areas;

From Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 if this is, indeed, stress-related, I'm going to suggest trying 1-3 teaspoonfuls of chilled chamomile tea, up to 3 times a day. Administer via syringe, placing the tip between the cheek and gum, and injecting SLOWLY, allowing time to swallow. Use the commercial tea bags from the coffee/tea aisle of your local grocery store to insure that you are getting German chamomile, which is safe for cats. English, which often grows in gardens, is not. You can also use the tea as a wash for the hot spot, to relieve itching.

I like the chamomile because it is gently calming without being actually sedating. No wobbly, drunk kitties staggering around.

you can use a wash made from commercial chamomile tea bags. Just brew a cup, chill it in the fridge, and swab it on. It relieves itches, and is mildly antibacterial and antifungal, so it will help prevent any secondary infections, etc. between now and when you see the dermatologist. You can get the bags in the coffee/tea aisle of almost all grocery stores

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

JackBMom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I believe his fur is wet from licking. He is constantly down there. We haven't gotten to talk to the vet, my boyfriend lost his job and I don't make a lot of money on my own and we don't know how we could cover a vet bill at the time... I feel like a terrible pet owner. :(
He is licking himself raw, to the point of bleeding. We will definitely try the chamomile! Thank you so much.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm so sorry!
Oh by the way, try some music. It actually does help relax cats, and both the music and the tea might help you too with reducing stress. He's picking up on yours too...

Classical harp music, George Handel compositions, there's an app called Relax My Cat, there's MusicForCats . com

Hang in there, maybe something here will help or if possible, maybe the vet would work out a payment plan with you;
No Money For Vet Care? How To Find Help And Save Your Cat's Life

Financial Aid for Pets

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
The financial aid articles linked to above are great resources, and I would definitely encourage you to get him seen by a vet as soon as you can. In the meantime, there are some things that you can do to manage his anxiety. One thing that you can try is a Feliway diffuser. Feliway mimics feline pheromones, which helps cats to relax.

Here are some helpful articles about reducing stress in cats:

Six Surefire Strategies To Reduce Stress In Cats

You, Your Cat And Stress

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Look for a low cost vet clinic. Or try Banfield, the vet hospital located within many Pet smart stores. The first visit is free BUT any medications and testing cost extra.

What are you feeding? An intolerance to something in the food could cause itchy skin which causes a cat to constantly scratch and lick.