Help, At Wits End With Potty Problems

auralubelle.kitten

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat, fuluflufflekinz, is around 8 years old and a domestic long hair. He's a mix but we think his father was a maincoon. We've had him since he was born. He's used the cat box from time to time but never for long and always goes back to pooping on the floor right next to the box. We've tried all kinds of boxes, big, small, hooded, open, mechanical, simple, and none have them have worked. My parents don't want him but are currently keeping him for me, while in college. I'm getting an ESA letter but won't be able to have him if we can't figure out how to get him to go in a litterbox. It brings me to tears but I'll have to give him up if I can't figure this out. Any suggestions or help? Thanks

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. I love fuluflufflekinz's super unique name. :catlove:

About his litter box issue, how many litter boxes do you have? Some cats like to pee in one, and poop in another, so if you only have one litter box, maybe try putting out a 2nd one.

Here's some articles on litter box avoidance, that might have a tip you haven't yet tried.

The 10 Most Common Litterbox Mistakes Cat Owners Make

16 Experts Reveal The Most Common Litterbox Mistakes (and How To Avoid Them)

Here's an interesting excerpt from the above article, that might apply to fuluflufflekinz:
Some litterbox issues are unique for long-haired cats. Little Yellow is an 8-year-old long-haired orange Tabby who has asthma. Once in awhile we find a solid piece of poop on the floor. It might seem like Little Yellow is avoiding the litter box, but the truth is poop gets stuck in his fur and then drops off to the floor.

How Many Litterboxes Should You Have?
How To Solve Litterbox Problems In Cats: The Ultimate Guide
Litterbox Problems? Here's Why You Should Call Your Vet

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I think that @rubsmama has covered just about everything, but also try different litters. Cats can be very finicky about what they are standing in while doing their business. If it feels "wrong" do him when he goes to cover, he'll vote with his paws and not use it. Since he does go right next to the box, he seems to know what the box is for, but something about it bothers him.

If all else fails, just put a puppy pad next to the box for him. Cleanup with be quick and easy!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
A couple of litters you could look at are Littermaid's walnut litter, and corncob litter. Also, there's Dr elseys respiratory relief crystals.
Some people have had luck with some potting soil.
All the VERY best of luck to you, let us know if you have more questions, and do keep us up to date!! :redheartpump: