HELP ASAP!!

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Depending on when you have to be at work, and perhaps you can come in a little late one day, most vets will let you drop off your pet before they officially open. The vet may not be there, but the kennel people are and can take the pet in for the vet to see later. It's not the best way, but it is a way to get her in.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

amarshall0919

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I do have a question. On the camera right before we came out of the kitchen, Midnight darted across the room to jump on the back of the couch. I did not see this before, and only saw Midnight on the back of the couch. On the camera footage, when Smoothie seems him dart to behind the couch, she immediately ran up to the couch. When Midnight jumps up on the back of the couch, she instantly jumps on the couch and attacks him. Is it possible that when she saw him run across the room, she did not recognize that it was him and thought he was another cat? Now that they have fought, all she remembers is the fight and doesn’t remember him for who he is really is?

amarshall0919

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am thinking that this is what it has to be because she seems to not be bothered by his scent. When she sees him though, that is when she gets angry. Is it possible for cats to recognize smell but not sight?

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am thinking that this is what it has to be because she seems to not be bothered by his scent. When she sees him though, that is when she gets angry. Is it possible for cats to recognize smell but not sight?
I did have the thought that maybe she has a corneal abrasion from a stray scratch. Its one thing that might fit, but there are probably a bunch.

Jaylin A

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I do have a question. On the camera right before we came out of the kitchen, Midnight darted across the room to jump on the back of the couch. I did not see this before, and only saw Midnight on the back of the couch. On the camera footage, when Smoothie seems him dart to behind the couch, she immediately ran up to the couch. When Midnight jumps up on the back of the couch, she instantly jumps on the couch and attacks him. Is it possible that when she saw him run across the room, she did not recognize that it was him and thought he was another cat? Now that they have fought, all she remembers is the fight and doesn’t remember him for who he is really is?
Im by no means an expert, but off the bat that sounds like something could be wrong with smoothie. sometimes my cats will get startled by each other and not recognize each other, but within a few minutes they realize and go back to normal. they also get unintended/redirected aggression (usually when theyre too worked up), but same thing, its always back to normal immediately after they calm down. so to me personally, it might be a mixture of that and potentially a neurological or vision thing, since smoothie is also attacking/not recognizing any of you guys other than some brief moments where she recognizes the scent. has she been different since you got pregnant? ive heard wild stories of cats behaving different during pregnancies, not sure how credible they are though

amarshall0919

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I was just trying to play with Smoothie, and her demeanor changed and she spit at me.
I haven’t noticed any change in her since I found out I was pregnant. She’s always just been herself. I have noticed that ever since the fight, it seems she has been on edge. Just like with her spitting at me, it was because I was hiding my hand underneath the cover. When she saw my hand come out of the cover, she became startled and spit at me. Her eyes look fine and healthy. There is no scratch at all on her eyes. She isn’t even squinting at all.

I am also worried that it may be a neurological problem. Such a radical change in behavior and not going back to normal after some time apart from him is worrying me. Midnight was okay and ready to check her out again. Her pupils were extremely dilated and she honestly looked crazy. When my husband picked Midnight up after trying to reintroduce them, Midnight did not try to attack him at all. The way Smoothie was looking at me in that cage scared me enough to make me leave the room. If she had been out of the cage, she would have not stopped and also attacked us.

She has had all of her vaccinations and neither her or Midnight are allowed outside. Everything about her seems normal besides her behavior when she seems him. Midnight and her were literally best friends. When he would be laying down, she constantly went and laid next to him. She met Midnight when she was only 3 months old. She has looked up to him ever since. I have never ever seen this kind of behavior out of a cat before.

amarshall0919

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
This was literally them the other day. Smoothie is the grey cat, and Midnight is the black cat. In the mornings, they always would come up and cuddle me together.
5AF81B84-4538-4A10-B4D8-CD01575F3F49.png

amarshall0919

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Okay, I have just now noticed something!! I was looking at smoothie, and when she walked past me she showed me her butt. It looks like she may have worms, but I’ve never seen one like this. It is thin and long but instead of being white, it is pink in color, and keeps going in and out of her butt. It is almost on the reddish side. Obviously this has to be a worm, but I thought all worms were white???

amarshall0919

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am quite concerned. I can’t find anything online about cats having pink/reddish worms, and she certainly has at least one. I’ve also never known of cat worms go back in and out.

Could this cause harm to my unborn child?

amarshall0919

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Are you positive it is a worm and not string or a foreign object?
It looks exactly like a worm and even kept moving it’s nasty head when it would come out. It’s head reminded me of a nail because it had a flat top.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
Any parasite could be harmful to baby. This is why pregnant women should not clean the litterbox.

It's hard to tell without a picture but I assume this worm is visible to the naked eye?

In any case a broad spectrum dewormer such as profender should help. But consult with your vet before giving an product. Stay away from Hartz products though as they are often too potent.

Jaylin A

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It looks exactly like a worm and even kept moving it’s nasty head when it would come out. It’s head reminded me of a nail because it had a flat top.
Take pictures and get some advice from the vet!! There are ways that indoor cats can get infected, sadly. Pictures can help, and I'm sure they have deworming at the clinic. Hopefully that's the answer!

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I’m really concerned about Smoothie’shealth. I vote take her to the vet today. If nothing is wrong put her on a light sedative for a few weeks. If she is healthy then I would do site swapping for at least a month. Cats hide their pain. Any major change in behavior demands a vet visit ASAP. Most vets are open on Saturday I vote call your vet, explain her sudden aggressive behavior to people/cats & beg for a Saturday appointment!

Given the three fights I would plan on a 6 month cat reintroduction process just to be safe. So for now they can only smell each other. Put them in their own crate to give one cat the house gor 12 hours & the other cat in a room. Keep them separated and dong even let them see each other until both cats can calmly eat wet food on either side of the door. If they can feed them calmly on either side of the door for a few weeks then you can try letting them see each other through a screen door or sting 1/4 inch crack of the door. Neither cat needs to be rehomed BUT you are making it incredibly worse by exposing them to each other to soon & letting them fight. Better to do a very slow controlled Re-introduction.

⭐putting her in a cage may just make her more aggressive; Because she feels trapped/exposed/prey .

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is entirely possible that Smoothie has an illness which can be treated if you take her to the vet NOW. In cats, if you delay treatment, you often reach the point where nothing can be done. Why are you waiting to take Smoothie to the vet?

I would take both of them in separate carriers and have them both checked out. Just to be sure.

amarshall0919

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It is entirely possible that Smoothie has an illness which can be treated if you take her to the vet NOW. In cats, if you delay treatment, you often reach the point where nothing can be done. Why are you waiting to take Smoothie to the vet?

I would take both of them in separate carriers and have them both checked out. Just to be sure.
I am waiting to take Smoothie to the vet BECAUSE our vet is currently closed down for moving to their new location. We called and told them our situation, and they said that there is nothing that they will be able to do until next week. It’s not our choice to be waiting.

amarshall0919

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I’m really concerned about Smoothie’shealth. I vote take her to the vet today. If nothing is wrong put her on a light sedative for a few weeks. If she is healthy then I would do site swapping for at least a month. Cats hide their pain. Any major change in behavior demands a vet visit ASAP. Most vets are open on Saturday I vote call your vet, explain her sudden aggressive behavior to people/cats & beg for a Saturday appointment!

Given the three fights I would plan on a 6 month cat reintroduction process just to be safe. So for now they can only smell each other. Put them in their own crate to give one cat the house gor 12 hours & the other cat in a room. Keep them separated and dong even let them see each other until both cats can calmly eat wet food on either side of the door. If they can feed them calmly on either side of the door for a few weeks then you can try letting them see each other through a screen door or sting 1/4 inch crack of the door. Neither cat needs to be rehomed BUT you are making it incredibly worse by exposing them to each other to soon & letting them fight. Better to do a very slow controlled Re-introduction.

⭐putting her in a cage may just make her more aggressive; Because she feels trapped/exposed/prey .

Our vet is absolutely not open on Saturday, and they are currently closed until next week because they are moving to their new location.

We don’t want to get rid of her. However, it is hard to get off work for my doctors appointments already. She is still eating, drinking, and using the restroom just fine. I do agree that she needs to go to the vet just to be checked out, but we literally can’t get her in right now.

I am really unsure that we would be able to wait 6 months to try and reintroduce them. We are working full time jobs, our apartment is very small, and our baby will be here in 4-5 months depending on when she is born. After the baby is here, we will not have any time to try and reintroduce them. I am also worried about how she is going to act around the baby.

I know you can’t rush these things, but honestly, time is working against us.

amarshall0919

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
This may sound incredibly stupid, but it is a genuine question and I am concerned about it.

Smoothie has all of her shots, and isn’t due for more shots until October. She isn’t allowed outside, and I have noticed no bite marks on her.

I know you can only get rabies from another animal, but I am just a worry wart and go into thinking the worst possibility.

Is it possible that Smoothie could have rabies even though she is acting fine besides her behavior changes?

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One problem that I see, here, is that you posted a message entitled, “HELP ASAP!” where you describe one cat attacking another, out of the blue, then you say that there is a wormlike thing hanging out of your cat’s anus but, against all advice, you have still not gone to the vet even though several days have passed.

If something like that happened to Casper, we would have been on the horn to the vet, telling them that we are on the way. If our regular vet was unavailable, we would be going to our backup vet and if that wasn’t an option, we’d be on the way to the Vet Emergency Room.

I wouldn’t be worrying about work. I would just go to the vet and, maybe, call them on the way to tell them that my cat is sick and that I am on the way to the vet.

That actually happened to us, once. When I called off work, the only thing they said was, “I hope your cat will be all right.”

Anyhow, you’ve got the attention of several people who care about cats, all trying to help you but you still haven’t done anything.

I don’t know about what other people think but, unless something is done soon, I’m about ready to say that your cat is in God’s hands and nope out of this one.

amarshall0919

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
One problem that I see, here, is that you posted a message entitled, “HELP ASAP!” where you describe one cat attacking another, out of the blue, then you say that there is a wormlike thing hanging out of your cat’s anus but, against all advice, you have still not gone to the vet even though several days have passed.

If something like that happened to Casper, we would have been on the horn to the vet, telling them that we are on the way. If our regular vet was unavailable, we would be going to our backup vet and if that wasn’t an option, we’d be on the way to the Vet Emergency Room.

I wouldn’t be worrying about work. I would just go to the vet and, maybe, call them on the way to tell them that my cat is sick and that I am on the way to the vet.

That actually happened to us, once. When I called off work, the only thing they said was, “I hope your cat will be all right.”

Anyhow, you’ve got the attention of several people who care about cats, all trying to help you but you still haven’t done anything.

I don’t know about what other people think but, unless something is done soon, I’m about ready to say that your cat is in God’s hands and nope out of this one.
I said, “HELP ASAP,” because I was in a panic. Give me a freaking break, I am pregnant. I came on this site for help because I really didn’t understand why she attacked him out of the blue. We DID call the vet, and they told us not to worry and to come in next week after they move to their new location.

The only visible problem with Smoothie is that she has worms, and the last time I checked, all cats are susceptible to that.

I honestly don’t appreciate your attitude. You don’t know me, you have no clue where I live, you don’t know our situation besides what I have told you, and you have no idea how either our vet OR jobs work. Maybe, just maybe, you need a dose of reality into the fact that other people may not have it as easy as you. Not everyone has an emergency vet that is close enough to get to. Not everyone has that many vets around them. Not everyone can just call their jobs, and tell them they can’t come in because they’re taking their cat to the vet. I have already talked to my boss about my cat, and I will not be able to take off to take her.

Don’t act like I am “fortunate” for YOUR help. Not only does that make you look narcissistic, but it also shows how uncaring you actually are. Have a good day.