Help! Any ideas for a cat with PICA?

Linoblockartist

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I just picked my cat up from the vet because she had an emergency operation this week to remove items from her stomach. I knew she had PICA, and so there are no string like objects lying around my house.... Yard, floss, ribbon, etc. Then 4 days ago, she threw up steel wool. She had dug it out of the wall from under my sink around the plumbing fixtures. Who would have thought she would eat something like that?During the operation they found more steel wool, some hair bands she must have stolen off my counter, and strips of plastic. It was a lot and any piece of it could have killed her.
My question is does anyone have an idea of a way to help a cat with this issue besides medication? And if you are using medication, does it work and does hurt your cat's quality of life? Any help would be appreciated!

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. Your poor cat. :( And you. :alright: I don't have any experience with cats and PICA but did a site search and found some threads on the topic. Maybe something in one of them will be helpful Good luck.
Search Results for Query: pica

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Linoblockartist

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. Your poor cat. :( And you. :alright: I don't have any experience with cats and PICA but did a site search and found some threads on the topic. Maybe something in one of them will be helpful Good luck.
Thank you! I had searched for the topic before putting my post out there but when I went back and looked there was one I miss that had some good information. I appreciate your help!!

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hope you find something that helps. Just curious, how old is your cat?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Linoblockartist

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Buttercup is 5 years old - but has been exhibiting signs since she was a baby. I just wonder if there is anything out there that would be safe but satisfy this compulsion.

kittenmittens84

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Does she have any type of nutritional deficiency or anemia or any GI issues that would affect absorption of nutrients?