Help...again

pamdabear

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My kitten was recently diagnosed with roundworm. I have been giving her pyrantel, the common treatment. I gave her the first dose this past Monday but I heard I probably won't see any effect till after her second dose this coming Monday. Today, besides having the diarrhea that goes along with roundworm, she had a clear fluid coming out of her bottom. I saw it shoot out earlier, and she acted as if she had no idea it was happening. Also, her bottom has been wet most of the day and her diarrhea has been especially watery. I don't know what this clear fluid is or why all of a sudden it is occuring. If you can give me any advice on my kitten Charlotte please let me know!!

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
A question? Is this what a vet gave you or told you to give her? Usually there isn't any side effects to pyrantel, and the liquid could be just a discharge of fluids that built up while the roundworms were impacting your kitty. Also make sure you scrub out your litterbox with bleach and air it dry as the eggs are often found in the litter and can reinfect your cat. Be prepared to see you kitty regurgitating the worms if the infestation is severe enough. It usually takes a couple of treatments to kill all the larvae. And there is a slim possibility if you forget to wash your hands good after handling your cat (the larvae of roundworms migrate up to your cat's fur) that you too could get these parasistes. But I am sure you are careful.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

pamdabear

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Pyrantel is what the vet gave me to get rid of the roundworm. Thanks for your advice. I really appreciate it. Hopefully I'll see an improvement within a the next couple weeks.