help/advice re weaning

chromodactyl

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi all on this sunny early evening.
the kittens are now just over 5 weeks.They are not interested in kitten food at all and are happy to feed from mum,which is fine but I have heard conflicting info as to wherther I should be starting to wean them now-as in a bit of kitten food and also having mothers milk until obviously they are on kitten food only.Or should I let it happen around week 6/7.
Worried about mastitis-she doesnt have it. and have been advised to start seperating kitten and cat mother for small periods of time.but want to find out more as whether it is detrimental to kittens to do this at 5weeks

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can try to introduce them to soupy canned food on your fingers, but in my experience they are not really interested in solid foods for another week or two (6-7 weeks).

I've started it at 5 weeks - one or two might try, others take a week longer. Be patient. But when you do start, put mom in another room; put the canned food (make is a little soupy and warm) on a paper plate. Then put some on your finger and put it in the kitten's mouth or let them attempt to lick it. Just be careful you don't get it in their nose.

I sometimes push their face (mouth/chin) in a little food and let them lick it off - that works to get them interested. Be warned - put the kittens and the plate in an area where you can clean the floor - like the bathroom floor - NO carpet! They will step in it and make a real mess for awhile till they get used to things - you'll have to do clean up on the kittens after too.

Give the kittens about 1/2 hour at the most to work on learning to eat before mom goes back in and finishes the left over food.

Around 8-10 weeks old, you can separate mom for longer periods of time once the kittens are eating pretty good on their own. I let the queens decide when they've really had enough of nursing. Usually that happens between 2 1/2 - 3 /12 months old.

One thing I really don't understand is why people really are letting kittens go at 8 weeks old - all my kittens were NOT eating solid food for a long time - most were still nursing pretty much along with the food. No wonder people have so many problems with 8 week old kittens eating in a new home; as well as the psychological part of being separated from mom and siblings and have no real clue as to why!

If people really took the time to observe kittens thru the stages they would NOT be separating them till a good 10-12 weeks old!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

chromodactyl

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Goldenkitty thank you so much that was a really nice reply-have been becoming anxious and did try somthing similar.one enjoyed the taste and so i kept dipping so he could have more but after that day he was not interested.So i think i will wait a wk and try again with yr great advice

lil'misskisses

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I started offering food around 5 weeks. I mixed a little kitten loaf in with some water to make a kinda soup like mixture. I would then rub a little onto their mouth. It might sound strange but as they were licking it off they would get the hang of what it was and that it was quite nice to eat. Once they got the hang of it they quickly grew to like it.

I dont think momma having a break from the kittens for a short time will do them any harm. Boo just used to go back to check on them and feed them every so often. Other than that she would leave them and go sit in her fav spot in the window.

I bet they are little furry bundles of fun now!! LOL

chromodactyl

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lil'misskisses

I started offering food around 5 weeks. I mixed a little kitten loaf in with some water to make a kinda soup like mixture. I would then rub a little onto their mouth. It might sound strange but as they were licking it off they would get the hang of what it was and that it was quite nice to eat. Once they got the hang of it they quickly grew to like it.

I dont think momma having a break from the kittens for a short time will do them any harm. Boo just used to go back to check on them and feed them every so often. Other than that she would leave them and go sit in her fav spot in the window.

I bet they are little furry bundles of fun now!! LOL
theyre lovely,bouncin around attacking things.having so much fun and they are playing football with ping pong ball-Ahh PS Kitten love kitten loaf.She feeds them and then does her own thing but still lurks close by,i dont know how long for as they are playing with her tail,pouncing and generally annoying her now-fun to watch

lil'misskisses

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
They are great arnt they. I used to love it in an evening as they would all like a play before bedtime. If me or hubby sat on the floor we would turn into a human cat tree with them coming at us from all angles. LOL

They had me in stitches. It broke my heart i couldnt keep them all and i was so sad when the time came for them to go to new homes.

Makle sure you enjoy every last second with them.....lol

chromodactyl

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
ahh I will do.Im pleased we have found lovely homes for all 4 of them,so i shall begi writing some kitten notes up for the new parents-as best i can.

xxtashaxx

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
you have some great advice here.
mine are a little over 5 weeks aswell , one started tasting at 4 weeks the other dosnt want to know and still dosnt , also the other one has decided he dont want to know anymore either , so were still offering , but we will let them do it on there own , i do the finger trick aswell with them , but strips just pulls his head back as though his disgusted at the thought of it all hehe.
candy loves a good taste but will only eat if mum is eating aswell.

chromodactyl

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
munchkin faces!!destroyed a toilet roll when i was out-still finding remnants in shoes,make up box...little psychos,sweet little psychos