Help/Advice for introductions

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello I'm back again!

Earlier this week we had another chase unfortunately. I was out for dinner and my mom had gone over to feed the cats dinner. At some point after dinner while Fluffy was in the catio Sapphire had snuck downstairs and went up onto the cat perch on the front window which was covered by the drapes at the time. When Fluffy came into the living room my mom opened the drapes for him to jump up and Sapphire was there and took off and the chase ensued. He chased her around the house and upstairs into my bedroom before my mom finally caught him (I'm not sure if he actually caught her or not). Sapphire ended up by the backdoor up on a counter hiding behind several large plants there for over an hour. She was quite the unhappy girl when I got home and wouldn't let anyone near her for the rest of the night and part of the next day.

The following evening she seemed fine. They ate together and she even came to the stairs a few times but didn't really come down. She seemed to still get a bit upset if she could hear Fluffy meowing but couldn't see him. The rest of the week she has seemed a bit more hesitant. When feeding them she will only take a single bite of her food before backing off deeper into her room and overall, at least to me, she's seemed a bit off but that could just be me over thinking.

"Hello I'm back again!" -Hello!!! Welcome back!!

"Earlier this week we had another chase unfortunately." - Ok, it happens, let's see

" I was out for dinner and my mom had gone over to feed the cats dinner. At some point after dinner while Fluffy was in the catio Sapphire had snuck downstairs and went up onto the cat perch on the front window which was covered by the drapes at the time. When Fluffy came into the living room my mom opened the drapes for him to jump up and Sapphire was there and took off and the chase ensued. He chased her around the house and upstairs into my bedroom before my mom finally caught him (I'm not sure if he actually caught her or not)." - Ok, that happens.

"Sapphire ended up by the backdoor up on a counter hiding behind several large plants there for over an hour." - Ok :(

" She was quite the unhappy girl when I got home and wouldn't let anyone near her for the rest of the night and part of the next day." - OK, disappointing but not the end of the world.

"The following evening she seemed fine. They ate together and she even came to the stairs a few times" - GREAT!!!! Ok, not to worry. She rebounded AND it most likely will help her build confidence!!!

" but didn't really come down." - Ok, not surprising and that is fine.

" She seemed to still get a bit upset if she could hear Fluffy meowing but couldn't see him." - Ok, not surprising.

" The rest of the week she has seemed a bit more hesitant." - Understandable.

" When feeding them she will only take a single bite of her food before backing off deeper into her room" - Hmmmmmmmm :/ I did not expect that. But just keep reassuring her, trying to feed them together Positive Associations and Positive Encounters.

" and overall, at least to me, she's seemed a bit off but that could just be me over thinking." - It sounds like it but just reassure her, love her, etc.

I think she will be fine. I think she had a traumatic event in her past before you. But she is doing really well overall. Just keep doing what you are doing.

BTW, I LOVE she came down to look out (before the chase). Still it was a good sign. She will be back. :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Graham18

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
"Hello I'm back again!" -Hello!!! Welcome back!!

"Earlier this week we had another chase unfortunately." - Ok, it happens, let's see

" I was out for dinner and my mom had gone over to feed the cats dinner. At some point after dinner while Fluffy was in the catio Sapphire had snuck downstairs and went up onto the cat perch on the front window which was covered by the drapes at the time. When Fluffy came into the living room my mom opened the drapes for him to jump up and Sapphire was there and took off and the chase ensued. He chased her around the house and upstairs into my bedroom before my mom finally caught him (I'm not sure if he actually caught her or not)." - Ok, that happens.

"Sapphire ended up by the backdoor up on a counter hiding behind several large plants there for over an hour." - Ok :(

" She was quite the unhappy girl when I got home and wouldn't let anyone near her for the rest of the night and part of the next day." - OK, disappointing but not the end of the world.

"The following evening she seemed fine. They ate together and she even came to the stairs a few times" - GREAT!!!! Ok, not to worry. She rebounded AND it most likely will help her build confidence!!!

" but didn't really come down." - Ok, not surprising and that is fine.

" She seemed to still get a bit upset if she could hear Fluffy meowing but couldn't see him." - Ok, not surprising.

" The rest of the week she has seemed a bit more hesitant." - Understandable.

" When feeding them she will only take a single bite of her food before backing off deeper into her room" - Hmmmmmmmm :/ I did not expect that. But just keep reassuring her, trying to feed them together Positive Associations and Positive Encounters.

" and overall, at least to me, she's seemed a bit off but that could just be me over thinking." - It sounds like it but just reassure her, love her, etc.

I think she will be fine. I think she had a traumatic event in her past before you. But she is doing really well overall. Just keep doing what you are doing.

BTW, I LOVE she came down to look out (before the chase). Still it was a good sign. She will be back. :)
So sorry once again! I've still been very busy and haven't had much time to respond. I just wanted to clarify that Sapphire was in fact eating her food, she was just waiting until Fluffy left before she would eat it.

By the end of the week she seemed mostly back to normal and still seems that way. She really doesn't come to see Fluffy much anymore and usually just sleeps instead. She'll come sometimes but I've yet to coax her further down the stairs and of course Fluffy just sits there and cries because he wants her to come down.

I don't think there was anything else to add.

Have a Merry Christmas! :)

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So sorry once again! I've still been very busy and haven't had much time to respond. I just wanted to clarify that Sapphire was in fact eating her food, she was just waiting until Fluffy left before she would eat it.

By the end of the week she seemed mostly back to normal and still seems that way. She really doesn't come to see Fluffy much anymore and usually just sleeps instead. She'll come sometimes but I've yet to coax her further down the stairs and of course Fluffy just sits there and cries because he wants her to come down.

I don't think there was anything else to add.

Have a Merry Christmas! :)
"So sorry once again! I've still been very busy and haven't had much time to respond." - No reason for any apology. I know you are very busy.

" I just wanted to clarify that Sapphire was in fact eating her food, she was just waiting until Fluffy left before she would eat it." - Ok, not a problem at all.

"By the end of the week she seemed mostly back to normal and still seems that way."- GREAT!!!

"She really doesn't come to see Fluffy much anymore and usually just sleeps instead." - Ok. maybe she is accepting him?

"She'll come sometimes but I've yet to coax her further down the stairs" - Ok, she will eventually.

" and of course Fluffy just sits there and cries because he wants her to come down."- Yes, poor guy. He loves her. :/

"I don't think there was anything else to add." - OK, sounds good. It sounds like she is doing well. As long as she is happy that is all that matters.

"Have a Merry Christmas! :) " - You too!!! Merry Christmas!!!

Thank you for the update and GREAT WORK!!!!

Graham18

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
"So sorry once again! I've still been very busy and haven't had much time to respond." - No reason for any apology. I know you are very busy.

" I just wanted to clarify that Sapphire was in fact eating her food, she was just waiting until Fluffy left before she would eat it." - Ok, not a problem at all.

"By the end of the week she seemed mostly back to normal and still seems that way."- GREAT!!!

"She really doesn't come to see Fluffy much anymore and usually just sleeps instead." - Ok. maybe she is accepting him?

"She'll come sometimes but I've yet to coax her further down the stairs" - Ok, she will eventually.

" and of course Fluffy just sits there and cries because he wants her to come down."- Yes, poor guy. He loves her. :/

"I don't think there was anything else to add." - OK, sounds good. It sounds like she is doing well. As long as she is happy that is all that matters.

"Have a Merry Christmas! :) " - You too!!! Merry Christmas!!!

Thank you for the update and GREAT WORK!!!!
Hello I just wanted to check in again as it's been quite awhile!

I've been traveling weekly or every two weeks in the new year so I've been quite exhausted even when I'm at home.

Nothing too much has changed. There hasn't been anymore chases or fights and everything is still the same as always.

I think that Sapphire is accepting of Fluffy but just really doesn't seem to like him haha. She'll come to the stairs all the time when Fluffy is out downstairs but she doesn't really leave the top of the stairs without coaxing her down. She just watches for a bit and then runs back upstairs to her room. There's been times that I'll pick Fluffy up and hold her higher and then she'll hiss and growl at him while I'm holding him.

It sometimes seems like she does like him. She's seems curious when she's watching him and often times when she goes back upstairs I can hear her running around and playing. Whenever he gets close however, even with a barrier between them, she still hisses and growls like crazy.

I've been leaving the gate down in the evenings as well as an invite for her to come down while Fluffy is out but haven't had any luck yet unfortunately.

That's all for now :)

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello I just wanted to check in again as it's been quite awhile!

I've been traveling weekly or every two weeks in the new year so I've been quite exhausted even when I'm at home.

Nothing too much has changed. There hasn't been anymore chases or fights and everything is still the same as always.

I think that Sapphire is accepting of Fluffy but just really doesn't seem to like him haha. She'll come to the stairs all the time when Fluffy is out downstairs but she doesn't really leave the top of the stairs without coaxing her down. She just watches for a bit and then runs back upstairs to her room. There's been times that I'll pick Fluffy up and hold her higher and then she'll hiss and growl at him while I'm holding him.

It sometimes seems like she does like him. She's seems curious when she's watching him and often times when she goes back upstairs I can hear her running around and playing. Whenever he gets close however, even with a barrier between them, she still hisses and growls like crazy.

I've been leaving the gate down in the evenings as well as an invite for her to come down while Fluffy is out but haven't had any luck yet unfortunately.

That's all for now :)

"Hello I just wanted to check in again as it's been quite awhile!" - Yes. I think you have been busy.

"I've been traveling weekly or every two weeks in the new year so I've been quite exhausted even when I'm at home." - Ahhhhhhhh, yep. THAT is busy!!!

"Nothing too much has changed. There hasn't been anymore chases or fights and everything is still the same as always." _ GREAT!!!!!

"I think that Sapphire is accepting of Fluffy" - GREAT!!!

" but just really doesn't seem to like him haha." - Yep, NOT uncommon.

" She'll come to the stairs all the time when Fluffy is out downstairs" - GREAT!!!

" but she doesn't really leave the top of the stairs without coaxing her down." - That is fine.

" She just watches for a bit and then runs back upstairs to her room." - Awwwwwwww, that could be a wanting to play thing.

" There's been times that I'll pick Fluffy up and hold her higher and then she'll hiss and growl at him while I'm holding him." - He should always be below her, never above her. THat happens all the time. Not sure why. Maybe because it is not "like always".

"It sometimes seems like she does like him." - GREAT

" She's seems curious when she's watching him" - She does seem curious, I can see that.

" and often times when she goes back upstairs I can hear her running around and playing." - Awwwwwwwwwww, that is great.

" Whenever he gets close however, even with a barrier between them, she still hisses and growls like crazy." - Yes. I think there is history of something with her in her past before you.

"I've been leaving the gate down in the evenings as well as an invite for her to come down while Fluffy is out but haven't had any luck yet unfortunately." - WOW!!! THAT is great that all is fine with the gate down. I don't mind at all she hasn't come down yet.

"That's all for now :) " - Really good. Thanks for the update. I think it is great. Sapphire is not easy and she is doing great. I still hold out hope for a major breakthrough some day. I do think it will happen.

Try to get some rest and take time for yourself. Try not to work too hard. Talk later.

Graham18

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
"Hello I just wanted to check in again as it's been quite awhile!" - Yes. I think you have been busy.

"I've been traveling weekly or every two weeks in the new year so I've been quite exhausted even when I'm at home." - Ahhhhhhhh, yep. THAT is busy!!!

"Nothing too much has changed. There hasn't been anymore chases or fights and everything is still the same as always." _ GREAT!!!!!

"I think that Sapphire is accepting of Fluffy" - GREAT!!!

" but just really doesn't seem to like him haha." - Yep, NOT uncommon.

" She'll come to the stairs all the time when Fluffy is out downstairs" - GREAT!!!

" but she doesn't really leave the top of the stairs without coaxing her down." - That is fine.

" She just watches for a bit and then runs back upstairs to her room." - Awwwwwwww, that could be a wanting to play thing.

" There's been times that I'll pick Fluffy up and hold her higher and then she'll hiss and growl at him while I'm holding him." - He should always be below her, never above her. THat happens all the time. Not sure why. Maybe because it is not "like always".

"It sometimes seems like she does like him." - GREAT

" She's seems curious when she's watching him" - She does seem curious, I can see that.

" and often times when she goes back upstairs I can hear her running around and playing." - Awwwwwwwwwww, that is great.

" Whenever he gets close however, even with a barrier between them, she still hisses and growls like crazy." - Yes. I think there is history of something with her in her past before you.

"I've been leaving the gate down in the evenings as well as an invite for her to come down while Fluffy is out but haven't had any luck yet unfortunately." - WOW!!! THAT is great that all is fine with the gate down. I don't mind at all she hasn't come down yet.

"That's all for now :) " - Really good. Thanks for the update. I think it is great. Sapphire is not easy and she is doing great. I still hold out hope for a major breakthrough some day. I do think it will happen.

Try to get some rest and take time for yourself. Try not to work too hard. Talk later.
Hello just checking in again!

Still moving along with not a whole lot more progress.

After my last post there were a few instances where Sapphire actually came downstairs while Fluffy was somewhere else downstairs and overall it wasn't anything exciting. She hasn't come downstairs fully at all recently but she'll come to observe at the top of the stairs multiple times a night and sometimes come even further down (usually requires a small treat or piece of kibble).

I took a video tonight of what typically takes place when Sapphire does come further down the stairs. This sometimes happens several times a day/night. You can see Fluffy trying to jump up at her, and her hissing and growling at him. Usually I pull him back and try and get him to play with a toy rather than letting him get too worked up, but for the purpose of the video I just let them be. I went upstairs after and I briefly played with Sapphire as she seemed fine. Like I said, sometimes they do this several times an evening.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello just checking in again!

"Still moving along with not a whole lot more progress." - Ok. As long as they are happy it is not a worry.

"After my last post there were a few instances where Sapphire actually came downstairs while Fluffy was somewhere else downstairs and overall it wasn't anything exciting." - WOW!!! THAT is AMAZING!!!!

" She hasn't come downstairs fully at all recently but she'll come to observe at the top of the stairs multiple times a night and sometimes come even further down (usually requires a small treat or piece of kibble)." - THAT is GREAT!!!!

"I took a video tonight of what typically takes place when Sapphire does come further down the stairs. This sometimes happens several times a day/night." - Ok

" You can see Fluffy trying to jump up at her," - Yes, he SOOOOOOOOOO wants to play with her. :/ Poor guy.

" and her hissing and growling at him." - Well, not much and really only at the end of the video. I was amazed at how ell she was in that video.

" Usually I pull him back and try and get him to play with a toy rather than letting him get too worked up," - Yes, great. Exactly the right thing to do.

" but for the purpose of the video I just let them be." - Understandable. Sapphire did amazingly well in the video.

" I went upstairs after and I briefly played with Sapphire as she seemed fine. " - GREAT job!!! Her body language was EXCELLENT in the video. She is doing really well.

"Like I said, sometimes they do this several times an evening." - Awwwwwww, there way of playing. :)

It sounds like a great update. I LOVE how Sapphire has progressed. And Fluffy is Fluffy. 💗 :heartshape:

"Still moving along with not a whole lot more progress." - Ok. As long as they are happy it is not a worry.

"After my last post there were a few instances where Sapphire actually came downstairs while Fluffy was somewhere else downstairs and overall it wasn't anything exciting." - WOW!!! THAT is AMAZING!!!!

" She hasn't come downstairs fully at all recently but she'll come to observe at the top of the stairs multiple times a night and sometimes come even further down (usually requires a small treat or piece of kibble)." - THAT is GREAT!!!!

"I took a video tonight of what typically takes place when Sapphire does come further down the stairs. This sometimes happens several times a day/night." - Ok

" You can see Fluffy trying to jump up at her," - Yes, he SOOOOOOOOOO wants to play with her. :/ Poor guy.

" and her hissing and growling at him." - Well, not much and really only at the end of the video. I was amazed at how ell she was in that video.

" Usually I pull him back and try and get him to play with a toy rather than letting him get too worked up," - Yes, great. Exactly the right thing to do.

" but for the purpose of the video I just let them be." - Understandable. Sapphire did amazingly well in the video.

" I went upstairs after and I briefly played with Sapphire as she seemed fine. " - GREAT job!!! Her body language was EXCELLENT in the video. She is doing really well.

"Like I said, sometimes they do this several times an evening." - Awwwwwww, there way of playing. :)

It sounds like a great update. I LOVE how Sapphire has progressed. And Fluffy is Fluffy. :heartshape:💗

Graham18

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

It sounds like a great update. I LOVE how Sapphire has progressed. And Fluffy is Fluffy. :heartshape:💗
Hello again! I wanted to pop in and provide another update. I hadn't realized how long it's been as I've been extremely busy with work and traveling for work and struggling with some mental health issues lately.

I suppose everything is still going the same as it always has with some slight improvements. Sapphire doesn't really seem afraid of Fluffy anymore, even somewhat curious, but also still gets annoyed with him fairly easy. She comes and sits on the stairs and just stares at him every evening. Sometimes, though rarely she'll come further down and they hit eachother through the stairs for a few seconds before Sapphire takes off back to her room.

There haven't been any major chases or problems. Once Fluffy somehow got passed the baby gate at the base of the stairs while I was upstairs making the bed and he chased Sapphire into her room and cornered her but I was able to quickly grab him before he was able to jump on her.

The biggest improvement has been over the last few days. I'll take the gate down and as long as fluffy is in another room or the catio, Sapphire will come downstairs and she will jump up to the very top of their cat tree and lay there. Once Fluffy comes back and sees her, she'll just stare at him while I do my best to keep him occupied/away from the cat tree since I don't want him to go up and get her up there. It definitely isn't easy keeping him occupied, he's extremely fixated on getting to her. The only thing I've noticed, is that when I do move Fluffy so Sapphire can go back upstairs, he'll immediately go on the cat tree and lay where she was laying for about a minute before coming down (it's only strange to me because he NEVER goes on the cat tree, and Sapphire naps on the top every single day).

Tonight I was just too tired to try and keep a watchful eye on him so I kept the gate up at the base of the stairs. She came down almost to the bottom as she does and he proceeded to "sneak" over, jump up and they started to hit eachother (her growling and hissing and he hissed when I pulled him back). He did have some of her fur stuck to his claws, but they're both shedding so I'm hoping it was just that and nothing serious. She came back a few times but would just sit at the top of the stairs and stare.

I still struggle quite a bit thinking that he's being aggressive towards her and that gets stuck in my head for quite some time which can be quite upsetting. I hope I'm just overreacting and being overprotective.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello again! I wanted to pop in and provide another update. I hadn't realized how long it's been as I've been extremely busy with work and traveling for work and struggling with some mental health issues lately.

I suppose everything is still going the same as it always has with some slight improvements. Sapphire doesn't really seem afraid of Fluffy anymore, even somewhat curious, but also still gets annoyed with him fairly easy. She comes and sits on the stairs and just stares at him every evening. Sometimes, though rarely she'll come further down and they hit eachother through the stairs for a few seconds before Sapphire takes off back to her room.

There haven't been any major chases or problems. Once Fluffy somehow got passed the baby gate at the base of the stairs while I was upstairs making the bed and he chased Sapphire into her room and cornered her but I was able to quickly grab him before he was able to jump on her.

The biggest improvement has been over the last few days. I'll take the gate down and as long as fluffy is in another room or the catio, Sapphire will come downstairs and she will jump up to the very top of their cat tree and lay there. Once Fluffy comes back and sees her, she'll just stare at him while I do my best to keep him occupied/away from the cat tree since I don't want him to go up and get her up there. It definitely isn't easy keeping him occupied, he's extremely fixated on getting to her. The only thing I've noticed, is that when I do move Fluffy so Sapphire can go back upstairs, he'll immediately go on the cat tree and lay where she was laying for about a minute before coming down (it's only strange to me because he NEVER goes on the cat tree, and Sapphire naps on the top every single day).

Tonight I was just too tired to try and keep a watchful eye on him so I kept the gate up at the base of the stairs. She came down almost to the bottom as she does and he proceeded to "sneak" over, jump up and they started to hit eachother (her growling and hissing and he hissed when I pulled him back). He did have some of her fur stuck to his claws, but they're both shedding so I'm hoping it was just that and nothing serious. She came back a few times but would just sit at the top of the stairs and stare.

I still struggle quite a bit thinking that he's being aggressive towards her and that gets stuck in my head for quite some time which can be quite upsetting. I hope I'm just overreacting and being overprotective.
"Hello again! I wanted to pop in and provide another update." - Hi, great. I was thinking of you with the wildfires.

"I hadn't realized how long it's been as I've been extremely busy with work and traveling for work and struggling with some mental health issues lately." - You take care of yourself. And I am always here if you need to talk.

"I suppose everything is still going the same as it always has with some slight improvements. Sapphire doesn't really seem afraid of Fluffy anymore, even somewhat curious," - GREAT!!! THAT is AWESOME!!!

" but also still gets annoyed with him fairly easy." - Hahahahaha, well of course!!!

" She comes and sits on the stairs and just stares at him every evening. Sometimes, though rarely she'll come further down and they hit eachother through the stairs for a few seconds before Sapphire takes off back to her room." - Awwwwwwwwwwwww

"There haven't been any major chases or problems." - GREAT!!!! THAT is SO IMPORTANT!!!

"Once Fluffy somehow got passed the baby gate at the base of the stairs while I was upstairs making the bed and he chased Sapphire into her room and cornered her but I was able to quickly grab him before he was able to jump on her." - Yes, it happens. I doubt he would hurt her but good job in intervening.

"The biggest improvement has been over the last few days. I'll take the gate down and as long as fluffy is in another room or the catio, Sapphire will come downstairs and she will jump up to the very top of their cat tree and lay there." _ WOW!!!! That is GREAT progress!!! Once she gets more ownership she will be more confident.

"Once Fluffy comes back and sees her, she'll just stare at him while I do my best to keep him occupied/away from the cat tree since I don't want him to go up and get her up there." - GREAT she holds her position. Good job on distracting.

" It definitely isn't easy keeping him occupied, he's extremely fixated on getting to her." - No I am sure it is not. He wants to play with her so badly.

" The only thing I've noticed, is that when I do move Fluffy so Sapphire can go back upstairs, he'll immediately go on the cat tree and lay where she was laying for about a minute before coming down (it's only strange to me because he NEVER goes on the cat tree, and Sapphire naps on the top every single day)." - He wants his scent there. And I LOVE that she mingles with his scent on it. Great sharing.

"Tonight I was just too tired to try and keep a watchful eye on him so I kept the gate up at the base of the stairs. She came down almost to the bottom as she does and he proceeded to "sneak" over, jump up and they started to hit eachother (her growling and hissing and he hissed when I pulled him back). He did have some of her fur stuck to his claws, but they're both shedding so I'm hoping it was just that and nothing serious. She came back a few times but would just sit at the top of the stairs and stare." - Ok, I don't think that is an issue. And I LOVE she came back. I think he gets so frustrated. But I am not at all worried about that.

"I still struggle quite a bit thinking that he's being aggressive towards her and that gets stuck in my head for quite some time which can be quite upsetting. I hope I'm just overreacting and being overprotective." - Well it is understandable. You love them both. But if he really was aggressive and dangerous he would have harmed her killed her already. I think he wants to play, she doesn't her gets frustrated, overstimulated, it escalates, and we get a batting match. IF there was a problem we would see it. I don't see it. Just keep doing what you are doing, build confidence, maximize positive encounters. They are living together and doing well (acting normal, happy). That is what we want. No cat relationship is perfect, that are negative encounters in the best relationships. Make sure you act normal and confident as cats take on our emotions.

But all seems great to me. Of course we would love if they would cuddle together but Sapphire is mostly a "loner" cat though she is warming up. I love this update.

Keep up the great work. And also, don't forget about yourself. Take good care of yourself as well. And enjoy the cats, try not to overemphasize the negatives and enjoy they beauty and fun personalities. ♥

Thanks for the update, great to hear all is going well.

Graham18

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
"Hello again! I wanted to pop in and provide another update." - Hi, great. I was thinking of you with the wildfires.

"I hadn't realized how long it's been as I've been extremely busy with work and traveling for work and struggling with some mental health issues lately." - You take care of yourself. And I am always here if you need to talk.

"I suppose everything is still going the same as it always has with some slight improvements. Sapphire doesn't really seem afraid of Fluffy anymore, even somewhat curious," - GREAT!!! THAT is AWESOME!!!

" but also still gets annoyed with him fairly easy." - Hahahahaha, well of course!!!

" She comes and sits on the stairs and just stares at him every evening. Sometimes, though rarely she'll come further down and they hit eachother through the stairs for a few seconds before Sapphire takes off back to her room." - Awwwwwwwwwwwww

"There haven't been any major chases or problems." - GREAT!!!! THAT is SO IMPORTANT!!!

"Once Fluffy somehow got passed the baby gate at the base of the stairs while I was upstairs making the bed and he chased Sapphire into her room and cornered her but I was able to quickly grab him before he was able to jump on her." - Yes, it happens. I doubt he would hurt her but good job in intervening.

"The biggest improvement has been over the last few days. I'll take the gate down and as long as fluffy is in another room or the catio, Sapphire will come downstairs and she will jump up to the very top of their cat tree and lay there." _ WOW!!!! That is GREAT progress!!! Once she gets more ownership she will be more confident.

"Once Fluffy comes back and sees her, she'll just stare at him while I do my best to keep him occupied/away from the cat tree since I don't want him to go up and get her up there." - GREAT she holds her position. Good job on distracting.

" It definitely isn't easy keeping him occupied, he's extremely fixated on getting to her." - No I am sure it is not. He wants to play with her so badly.

" The only thing I've noticed, is that when I do move Fluffy so Sapphire can go back upstairs, he'll immediately go on the cat tree and lay where she was laying for about a minute before coming down (it's only strange to me because he NEVER goes on the cat tree, and Sapphire naps on the top every single day)." - He wants his scent there. And I LOVE that she mingles with his scent on it. Great sharing.

"Tonight I was just too tired to try and keep a watchful eye on him so I kept the gate up at the base of the stairs. She came down almost to the bottom as she does and he proceeded to "sneak" over, jump up and they started to hit eachother (her growling and hissing and he hissed when I pulled him back). He did have some of her fur stuck to his claws, but they're both shedding so I'm hoping it was just that and nothing serious. She came back a few times but would just sit at the top of the stairs and stare." - Ok, I don't think that is an issue. And I LOVE she came back. I think he gets so frustrated. But I am not at all worried about that.

"I still struggle quite a bit thinking that he's being aggressive towards her and that gets stuck in my head for quite some time which can be quite upsetting. I hope I'm just overreacting and being overprotective." - Well it is understandable. You love them both. But if he really was aggressive and dangerous he would have harmed her killed her already. I think he wants to play, she doesn't her gets frustrated, overstimulated, it escalates, and we get a batting match. IF there was a problem we would see it. I don't see it. Just keep doing what you are doing, build confidence, maximize positive encounters. They are living together and doing well (acting normal, happy). That is what we want. No cat relationship is perfect, that are negative encounters in the best relationships. Make sure you act normal and confident as cats take on our emotions.

But all seems great to me. Of course we would love if they would cuddle together but Sapphire is mostly a "loner" cat though she is warming up. I love this update.

Keep up the great work. And also, don't forget about yourself. Take good care of yourself as well. And enjoy the cats, try not to overemphasize the negatives and enjoy they beauty and fun personalities. ♥

Thanks for the update, great to hear all is going well.
I thought I had responded but I must have forgotten to hit the post button. Silly me!

Thank you for the kind words! Luckily where I live we didn't get the wild fire smoke too badly (but I did get it when I was traveling out of province unfortunately).

Sapphire seems to me more interested in at least seeing Fluffy. She always comes and peaks around the corner of the stairs but she just doesn't like when she comes further down and fluffy jumps up to try and hit her when she's sitting on the stairs within his reach. Sometimes she instigates and will hit him first starting a seconds long battle before she runs away. However, she is always constantly coming to the stairs all the time either looking for Fluffy or just staring at me (jealousy maybe?)

Anyways here is the video I meant to post earlier. Nothing exciting but at least Fluffy was good.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I thought I had responded but I must have forgotten to hit the post button. Silly me!

Thank you for the kind words! Luckily where I live we didn't get the wild fire smoke too badly (but I did get it when I was traveling out of province unfortunately).

Sapphire seems to me more interested in at least seeing Fluffy. She always comes and peaks around the corner of the stairs but she just doesn't like when she comes further down and fluffy jumps up to try and hit her when she's sitting on the stairs within his reach. Sometimes she instigates and will hit him first starting a seconds long battle before she runs away. However, she is always constantly coming to the stairs all the time either looking for Fluffy or just staring at me (jealousy maybe?)

Anyways here is the video I meant to post earlier. Nothing exciting but at least Fluffy was good.
The video is AMAZING!!!! Sapphire looks GREAT and happy and Fluffy is FANTASTIC and comfortable!!! What a cat tree!!!!! AWESOME!!!!! WOW, I LOVE to see that!!!

"Thank you for the kind words! Luckily where I live we didn't get the wild fire smoke too badly (but I did get it when I was traveling out of province unfortunately)." - So glad it is not at your home.

"Sapphire seems to me more interested in at least seeing Fluffy." - GREAT!!! Progress. Trust is being built.

" She always comes and peaks around the corner of the stairs" - Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

" but she just doesn't like when she comes further down and fluffy jumps up to try and hit her when she's sitting on the stairs within his reach." - Yes, understandable. The trust isn't 100% yet.

" Sometimes she instigates and will hit him first starting a seconds long battle before she runs away." - Oh my, I guess she isn't afraid of him then................................. I think it is a way of play to her (and to him).

" However, she is always constantly coming to the stairs all the time either looking for Fluffy" - Awwwwwwwwwwww, she is interested in sounds. THAT is GREAT!!!!

" or just staring at me (jealousy maybe?)" - I don't know about jealousy but I am sure she probably wants a bit of love down there.

LOVE this update!!!! GREAT job!!!! :yess: :hyper: