Help/Advice for introductions

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nothing major to update. Typical ups and downs (more ups than downs).
Sunday night's intro went pretty well. At night I've completely stopped putting his harness on. They ate dinner together and then I had Fluffy chasing treats through the dining room and then after trying to go see Sapphire a few times, he went and laid down in the middle of the dining room and looked nice and relaxed. Sapphire was sitting by her cat tree and her tail was going crazy (maybe a bit playful). She then walked around the playpen and started to slowly inch towards Fluffy. He got excited and started to walk towards her but I was able to distract them both. Body language, from what I could tell, seemed fine and no hissing or growling from Sapphire.

Tonight, Fluffy was a little more mischievous after they had dinner. Sapphire didn't want to eat on the ground so she ate up on the cushions. After they were done eating and Fluffy was walking back from getting a treat, sapphire came down to the floor and Fluffy immediately tried to run at her which he hasn't done in awhile. I was sitting on the ground and stopped him before he could get to her. She looked a bit frightened and was kind of hunched over ready to run but she didn't. It was super fast so I wasn't able to catch a glimpse of his body language. I had Fluffy chasing another treat and Sapphire went behind the playpen (she likes to sit behind it and watch Fluffy through the mesh). I was sitting beside the playpen as he walked back over and he caught a glimpse of her as he got to me and tried to run at her again, failing as I caught him. She seemed frightened and ready to run again but didn't. After chasing another treat he came and laid down beside me on the ground for a little bit but started to get excited as Sapphire started to move further around the playpen. I didn't want to risk another attempted chase so I threw a treat into his room for him to get.

The whole chasing/pouncing/running thing is of course one of my biggest concerns when I will be letting them interact, so even though things ended well, it was a little disheartening for me.

A few small details. At least once when Fluffy was walking back to me tonight, his tail was sticking straight up in the air and he seemed happy. Another thing I noticed when I was upstairs in my room with Fluffy was that when he saw sapphire through the gate and got into his crouched down, pouncing position, his ears would go down, but to the sides, not backwards. I'm not really sure if that means anything.

As for Sapphire, both nights, as soon as Fluffy is away in his bedroom, she gets super hyper and starts running around upstairs.

Just some small things I've noticed.
"Nothing major to update. Typical ups and downs (more ups than downs)." - Great

"Sunday night's intro went pretty well." - Great

" At night I've completely stopped putting his harness on." - WOW!! You are getting more confident!! :)

" They ate dinner together" - Perfect!!!

" and then I had Fluffy chasing treats through the dining room" - Awwwwwwww.

" and then after trying to go see Sapphire a few times, he went and laid down in the middle of the dining room and looked nice and relaxed." - Amazing!!!

" Sapphire was sitting by her cat tree and her tail was going crazy (maybe a bit playful)." - Yes, I am sure she was getting excited seeing him run around.

" She then walked around the playpen and started to slowly inch towards Fluffy." - Awwwwwwwwww. Maybe it is time to remove the playpen so it isn't a source of potential issues.

" He got excited and started to walk towards her but I was able to distract them both." - Perfect!!!

" Body language, from what I could tell, seemed fine and no hissing or growling from Sapphire." - Sounds like it great to hear it is accurate.

"Tonight, Fluffy was a little more mischievous after they had dinner." - Awwwwwwww

" Sapphire didn't want to eat on the ground so she ate up on the cushions." - Ok, any idea why?

" After they were done eating and Fluffy was walking back from getting a treat, sapphire came down to the floor" - LOVE that she felt confident enough to come down!!!

" and Fluffy immediately tried to run at her which he hasn't done in awhile." - Of course he would, a sign of playtime.

" I was sitting on the ground and stopped him before he could get to her." - Ok, great

" She looked a bit frightened and was kind of hunched over ready to run but she didn't." - Great. How she acts after tells us how afraid she might have been.

" It was super fast so I wasn't able to catch a glimpse of his body language." - I am sure it was fine, all play.

" I had Fluffy chasing another treat and Sapphire went behind the playpen (she likes to sit behind it and watch Fluffy through the mesh)." - Ok

" I was sitting beside the playpen as he walked back over and he caught a glimpse of her as he got to me and tried to run at her again, failing as I caught him." - Ok. Yes, she is acting llike play (actually how I want you to make a toy act). Hiding, etc.

" She seemed frightened and ready to run again but didn't." - Ok, GREAT she didn't run. Progress

"After chasing another treat he came and laid down beside me on the ground for a little bit" - AMAZING!!!! LOVE IT!!!

"but started to get excited as Sapphire started to move further around the playpen." - Of course, he wants to play with her so abdly. :/

" I didn't want to risk another attempted chase so I threw a treat into his room for him to get." - Ok

"The whole chasing/pouncing/running thing is of course one of my biggest concerns when I will be letting them interact, so even though things ended well, it was a little disheartening for me." - NO NEED to be disheartened. This is AMAZING and tells me they are just fine. :) If they had any issues it would not have gone this way at all.

"A few small details. At least once when Fluffy was walking back to me tonight, his tail was sticking straight up in the air and he seemed happy." - Totally. Confident, happy. Loving life.

" Another thing I noticed when I was upstairs in my room with Fluffy was that when he saw sapphire through the gate and got into his crouched down, pouncing position, his ears would go down, but to the sides, not backwards. I'm not really sure if that means anything." - Sounds like play position.

"As for Sapphire, both nights, as soon as Fluffy is away in his bedroom, she gets super hyper and starts running around upstairs." - Yes, she wants to play just hasn't gotten enough courage to play with him. I think it is a great sign.

"Just some small things I've noticed." - All positive in my eyes. They are doing great!!! :)

Keep up the great work and the cats will give you the confidence and trust in them soon. :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Graham18

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
"Nothing major to update. Typical ups and downs (more ups than downs)." - Great

"Sunday night's intro went pretty well." - Great

" At night I've completely stopped putting his harness on." - WOW!! You are getting more confident!! :)

" They ate dinner together" - Perfect!!!

" and then I had Fluffy chasing treats through the dining room" - Awwwwwwww.

" and then after trying to go see Sapphire a few times, he went and laid down in the middle of the dining room and looked nice and relaxed." - Amazing!!!

" Sapphire was sitting by her cat tree and her tail was going crazy (maybe a bit playful)." - Yes, I am sure she was getting excited seeing him run around.

" She then walked around the playpen and started to slowly inch towards Fluffy." - Awwwwwwwwww. Maybe it is time to remove the playpen so it isn't a source of potential issues.

" He got excited and started to walk towards her but I was able to distract them both." - Perfect!!!

" Body language, from what I could tell, seemed fine and no hissing or growling from Sapphire." - Sounds like it great to hear it is accurate.

"Tonight, Fluffy was a little more mischievous after they had dinner." - Awwwwwwww

" Sapphire didn't want to eat on the ground so she ate up on the cushions." - Ok, any idea why?

" After they were done eating and Fluffy was walking back from getting a treat, sapphire came down to the floor" - LOVE that she felt confident enough to come down!!!

" and Fluffy immediately tried to run at her which he hasn't done in awhile." - Of course he would, a sign of playtime.

" I was sitting on the ground and stopped him before he could get to her." - Ok, great

" She looked a bit frightened and was kind of hunched over ready to run but she didn't." - Great. How she acts after tells us how afraid she might have been.

" It was super fast so I wasn't able to catch a glimpse of his body language." - I am sure it was fine, all play.

" I had Fluffy chasing another treat and Sapphire went behind the playpen (she likes to sit behind it and watch Fluffy through the mesh)." - Ok

" I was sitting beside the playpen as he walked back over and he caught a glimpse of her as he got to me and tried to run at her again, failing as I caught him." - Ok. Yes, she is acting llike play (actually how I want you to make a toy act). Hiding, etc.

" She seemed frightened and ready to run again but didn't." - Ok, GREAT she didn't run. Progress

"After chasing another treat he came and laid down beside me on the ground for a little bit" - AMAZING!!!! LOVE IT!!!

"but started to get excited as Sapphire started to move further around the playpen." - Of course, he wants to play with her so abdly. :/

" I didn't want to risk another attempted chase so I threw a treat into his room for him to get." - Ok

"The whole chasing/pouncing/running thing is of course one of my biggest concerns when I will be letting them interact, so even though things ended well, it was a little disheartening for me." - NO NEED to be disheartened. This is AMAZING and tells me they are just fine. :) If they had any issues it would not have gone this way at all.

"A few small details. At least once when Fluffy was walking back to me tonight, his tail was sticking straight up in the air and he seemed happy." - Totally. Confident, happy. Loving life.

" Another thing I noticed when I was upstairs in my room with Fluffy was that when he saw sapphire through the gate and got into his crouched down, pouncing position, his ears would go down, but to the sides, not backwards. I'm not really sure if that means anything." - Sounds like play position.

"As for Sapphire, both nights, as soon as Fluffy is away in his bedroom, she gets super hyper and starts running around upstairs." - Yes, she wants to play just hasn't gotten enough courage to play with him. I think it is a great sign.

"Just some small things I've noticed." - All positive in my eyes. They are doing great!!! :)

Keep up the great work and the cats will give you the confidence and trust in them soon. :)
I don't believe there was any reason why Sapphire wouldn't come down for her food. She is just a picky cat haha. There are times when I will give her food and she just won't eat it unless the bowl is in the exact right spot where she wants it to be. She is the same with her bed being slightly out of place and even her scratching post. Just cat things we'll never understand.

Thank you for the support! I do fear that Fluffy is going to charge her and cause her to flee or escalate the situation and lead to a full fight (if I know anything about Fluffy, he doesn't really understand being told NO). A full fight is my biggest fear as I don't want to ruin progress and set things back from where they are where they are both seeming to tolerate eachother. Even though Sapphire didn't run, I'm sure had fluffy actually got to her, she would have taken off to her room upstairs.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't believe there was any reason why Sapphire wouldn't come down for her food. She is just a picky cat haha. There are times when I will give her food and she just won't eat it unless the bowl is in the exact right spot where she wants it to be. She is the same with her bed being slightly out of place and even her scratching post. Just cat things we'll never understand.

Thank you for the support! I do fear that Fluffy is going to charge her and cause her to flee or escalate the situation and lead to a full fight (if I know anything about Fluffy, he doesn't really understand being told NO). A full fight is my biggest fear as I don't want to ruin progress and set things back from where they are where they are both seeming to tolerate eachother. Even though Sapphire didn't run, I'm sure had fluffy actually got to her, she would have taken off to her room upstairs.
"I don't believe there was any reason why Sapphire wouldn't come down for her food. She is just a picky cat haha." - Nothing I have read would suggest she had a reason. She is independent!!! ;)

"There are times when I will give her food and she just won't eat it unless the bowl is in the exact right spot where she wants it to be. She is the same with her bed being slightly out of place and even her scratching post. Just cat things we'll never understand." - Exactly. Cats like routines, do not like change. I am not at all surprised. Very common and normal. As you say, cats.....................

"Thank you for the support!" - :) Of course. It is easy, I totally believe in you. YOU have done a great job to get to this point and I know you will do great into the finish. I have no doubt.

" I do fear that Fluffy is going to charge her" - Yes, understandable.

" and cause her to flee" - Understandable but maybe less likely than the previous. But probable.

" or escalate the situation" - Less likely then all of the above and possibly (much smaller probability).

" and lead to a full fight" - Less likely than all of the above and highly unlikely. There may be a dust up but a full fight I just don't really see. It would be very surprising in my opinion.

" (if I know anything about Fluffy, he doesn't really understand being told NO)." - :) Yes BUT he does know where the line is and he doesn't really cross it.

" A full fight is my biggest fear" - Yes but how much of a fear is probably the question. I suspect it is much higher than the facts would suggest.

"as I don't want to ruin progress and set things back from where they are where they are both seeming to tolerate eachother." - But the base of trust and confidence and acceptance you mention is strong. That is why it would be highly, highly unlikely it would cause anything more than a blip. IF it would actually happen.

"Even though Sapphire didn't run, I'm sure had fluffy actually got to her, she would have taken off to her room upstairs." - Ok, could be. But then what would happen after would be the real key. If he would back off, not really hurt her, etc it would not be the end of the world. OF COURSE we don't want it to happen but if it did I don't think it would be that big of a deal. He really likes her and has no bad intent in my opinion. And I think she knows that 98% of 100%.

Just keep doing what you are doing, build your trust and confidence and they will show you that they will be fine. Don't worry, we'll get there. :)

Graham18

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
"I don't believe there was any reason why Sapphire wouldn't come down for her food. She is just a picky cat haha." - Nothing I have read would suggest she had a reason. She is independent!!! ;)

"There are times when I will give her food and she just won't eat it unless the bowl is in the exact right spot where she wants it to be. She is the same with her bed being slightly out of place and even her scratching post. Just cat things we'll never understand." - Exactly. Cats like routines, do not like change. I am not at all surprised. Very common and normal. As you say, cats.....................

"Thank you for the support!" - :) Of course. It is easy, I totally believe in you. YOU have done a great job to get to this point and I know you will do great into the finish. I have no doubt.

" I do fear that Fluffy is going to charge her" - Yes, understandable.

" and cause her to flee" - Understandable but maybe less likely than the previous. But probable.

" or escalate the situation" - Less likely then all of the above and possibly (much smaller probability).

" and lead to a full fight" - Less likely than all of the above and highly unlikely. There may be a dust up but a full fight I just don't really see. It would be very surprising in my opinion.

" (if I know anything about Fluffy, he doesn't really understand being told NO)." - :) Yes BUT he does know where the line is and he doesn't really cross it.

" A full fight is my biggest fear" - Yes but how much of a fear is probably the question. I suspect it is much higher than the facts would suggest.

"as I don't want to ruin progress and set things back from where they are where they are both seeming to tolerate eachother." - But the base of trust and confidence and acceptance you mention is strong. That is why it would be highly, highly unlikely it would cause anything more than a blip. IF it would actually happen.

"Even though Sapphire didn't run, I'm sure had fluffy actually got to her, she would have taken off to her room upstairs." - Ok, could be. But then what would happen after would be the real key. If he would back off, not really hurt her, etc it would not be the end of the world. OF COURSE we don't want it to happen but if it did I don't think it would be that big of a deal. He really likes her and has no bad intent in my opinion. And I think she knows that 98% of 100%.

Just keep doing what you are doing, build your trust and confidence and they will show you that they will be fine. Don't worry, we'll get there. :)
I hoping that he will back off when it comes to it and won't simply try to keep playing with her as I suspect he will. I suppose if it seems like he isn't going to relent, I will just have to catch him and keep him from going after her. I suspect that's how it will be for awhile once they start to semi interact.

He also seemed a bit calmer tonight. He may have been a bit tired as I was told he was quite playful and hyper when my mom came to let him out this afternoon and he was running around quite a bit. Sapphire seemed a bit timid and nervous at first but eventually she just sat a few feet away and watched him. Eventually he even laid down and started to groom himself while she watched. He was much better tonight anyways and probably a bit on the sleepy side (he was yawning quite a bit while upstairs in my room).

I will see how things continue to go this week and determine if I should try allowing them to interact this weekend. I'm not even quite sure where to begin or how to even go about letting them interact.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hoping that he will back off when it comes to it and won't simply try to keep playing with her as I suspect he will. I suppose if it seems like he isn't going to relent, I will just have to catch him and keep him from going after her. I suspect that's how it will be for awhile once they start to semi interact.

He also seemed a bit calmer tonight. He may have been a bit tired as I was told he was quite playful and hyper when my mom came to let him out this afternoon and he was running around quite a bit. Sapphire seemed a bit timid and nervous at first but eventually she just sat a few feet away and watched him. Eventually he even laid down and started to groom himself while she watched. He was much better tonight anyways and probably a bit on the sleepy side (he was yawning quite a bit while upstairs in my room).

I will see how things continue to go this week and determine if I should try allowing them to interact this weekend. I'm not even quite sure where to begin or how to even go about letting them interact.
"I hoping that he will back off when it comes to it and won't simply try to keep playing with her as I suspect he will." - It will really depend on how serious she is about stopping him or allowing certain actions. I do believe he knows where the line is so if she tells him I think he will respect it. BUT it could be a touch wild before that. BUT she might actually enjoy that.

" I suppose if it seems like he isn't going to relent, I will just have to catch him and keep him from going after her." - Well, we have to watch how she responds. IF it gets to be too much then intervene. But they need to do their part. It really is art. It is allowing a certain amount but responding if needed.

"I suspect that's how it will be for awhile once they start to semi interact." - Maybe. I suspect they will be fine fairly soon after the first few days/interactions.

"He also seemed a bit calmer tonight." - Awwwwwwwww

"He may have been a bit tired as I was told he was quite playful and hyper when my mom came to let him out this afternoon and he was running around quite a bit." - Awwwwwwwwww

" Sapphire seemed a bit timid and nervous at first but eventually she just sat a few feet away and watched him." - Perfect. That is what we want to see. Caution is unwarranted so she settles and accepts the situation for what is truly is.

"Eventually he even laid down and started to groom himself while she watched." - PERFECT!!! THIS helps give her trust and confdience.

" He was much better tonight anyways and probably a bit on the sleepy side (he was yawning quite a bit while upstairs in my room)." - Awwwwwwwww.

He has actually been very good every night recently.

"I will see how things continue to go this week and determine if I should try allowing them to interact this weekend." - Sounds good. Just observe them and go with it if you feel it is feeling ok.

"I'm not even quite sure where to begin or how to even go about letting them interact. " - Just do what you are doing. Just enjoy the fruition of all your efforts. Feel the love you have for them. Just hang out with them, etc. Just go with them, be with them. It is all art. It is what works. Distract them, let them do their part, etc. He is a great, sweet cat, she is great. They accept each other, like each other, respect each other. There will always be issues but the base of those will get them through. You are almost there. Just when you feel good just do the above and let's see how they do. I think you will find she is more capable than you may realize and he is a good brother to her. :)

Graham18

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have no new updates today.

Things are simply going the same. Fluffy will come out and for a bit want to go see Sapphire before he'll lay down for a bit and they just watch eachother.

In lieu of an update here are pictures from last night (Fluffy being a black cat, is very difficult to see haha). You can kind of see his tail wagging in the picture.
I also noticed last night just how much bigger he is than Sapphire. I'd guess she's about 8 - 10 lbs and he's probably around 12 - 14 lbs.

20210915_204154.jpg

20210915_204148.jpg

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have no new updates today.

Things are simply going the same. Fluffy will come out and for a bit want to go see Sapphire before he'll lay down for a bit and they just watch eachother.

In lieu of an update here are pictures from last night (Fluffy being a black cat, is very difficult to see haha). You can kind of see his tail wagging in the picture.
I also noticed last night just how much bigger he is than Sapphire. I'd guess she's about 8 - 10 lbs and he's probably around 12 - 14 lbs.

View attachment 395384

View attachment 395385
MY GOODNESS they are ADORABLE!!! I just LOVE them!!!

"I have no new updates today." - Ok

"Things are simply going the same." - Great. Maybe they are there?

" Fluffy will come out and for a bit want to go see Sapphire before he'll lay down for a bit and they just watch eachother." - THAT is PERFECT!!!!

"In lieu of an update here are pictures from last night (Fluffy being a black cat, is very difficult to see haha). You can kind of see his tail wagging in the picture." - He is ADORABLE!!!

"I also noticed last night just how much bigger he is than Sapphire. I'd guess she's about 8 - 10 lbs and he's probably around 12 - 14 lbs. " - Yep. They both look great and are gorgeous!!!

I can feel your exhaustion. :/ They are pretty much there. Once you get a more comfortable confident feeling I think they are ready. :) Keep up the great work!!! :)

Graham18

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
MY GOODNESS they are ADORABLE!!! I just LOVE them!!!

"I have no new updates today." - Ok

"Things are simply going the same." - Great. Maybe they are there?

" Fluffy will come out and for a bit want to go see Sapphire before he'll lay down for a bit and they just watch eachother." - THAT is PERFECT!!!!

"In lieu of an update here are pictures from last night (Fluffy being a black cat, is very difficult to see haha). You can kind of see his tail wagging in the picture." - He is ADORABLE!!!

"I also noticed last night just how much bigger he is than Sapphire. I'd guess she's about 8 - 10 lbs and he's probably around 12 - 14 lbs. " - Yep. They both look great and are gorgeous!!!

I can feel your exhaustion. :/ They are pretty much there. Once you get a more comfortable confident feeling I think they are ready. :) Keep up the great work!!! :)
I will keep at it! I may try to let him get close to her this weekend if they seem to be calm. I am unsure if I should be letting him go to her (because we know that isn't a problem for him), or if I should be trying to get her to come to him most likely using a treat or two.

I am definitely exhausted. Not just from the cats, but spending all my free time before and after work with them is in partially to blame. I'm hoping I can start to move forward soon and hope everything works out!

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I will keep at it! I may try to let him get close to her this weekend if they seem to be calm. I am unsure if I should be letting him go to her (because we know that isn't a problem for him), or if I should be trying to get her to come to him most likely using a treat or two.

I am definitely exhausted. Not just from the cats, but spending all my free time before and after work with them is in partially to blame. I'm hoping I can start to move forward soon and hope everything works out!
"I will keep at it!" - :) I know you will.

" I may try to let him get close to her this weekend if they seem to be calm." - Ok, if you think things are fine then for sure.

" I am unsure if I should be letting him go to her (because we know that isn't a problem for him)," - Just let them be them and watch to make sure their body language is fine.So if she starts to tense up a bit then distract.

" or if I should be trying to get her to come to him most likely using a treat or two." - That is a good idea as well.

Just don't overthink it, just go with it. I just don't see either one out to hurt the other one.

"I am definitely exhausted." - I know, I can tell. :(

" Not just from the cats, but spending all my free time before and after work with them is in partially to blame. " - Yes, take some time for yourself and they will be fine.

"I'm hoping I can start to move forward soon and hope everything works out! " - Well, you are pretty much already there. So you just need that final trust piece (trust from you). Then they can be together.

Everything has worked out and will. They are going to be just fine. :) I think they are going to love being together. I was unsure of her in the past but I think she is really warming up and actually liking him.

All is going to be fine. Sure there may be a few blips but overall it is going to be fine. :)

Graham18

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
"I will keep at it!" - :) I know you will.

" I may try to let him get close to her this weekend if they seem to be calm." - Ok, if you think things are fine then for sure.

" I am unsure if I should be letting him go to her (because we know that isn't a problem for him)," - Just let them be them and watch to make sure their body language is fine.So if she starts to tense up a bit then distract.

" or if I should be trying to get her to come to him most likely using a treat or two." - That is a good idea as well.

Just don't overthink it, just go with it. I just don't see either one out to hurt the other one.

"I am definitely exhausted." - I know, I can tell. :(

" Not just from the cats, but spending all my free time before and after work with them is in partially to blame. " - Yes, take some time for yourself and they will be fine.

"I'm hoping I can start to move forward soon and hope everything works out! " - Well, you are pretty much already there. So you just need that final trust piece (trust from you). Then they can be together.

Everything has worked out and will. They are going to be just fine. :) I think they are going to love being together. I was unsure of her in the past but I think she is really warming up and actually liking him.

All is going to be fine. Sure there may be a few blips but overall it is going to be fine. :)
Thank you again! :)

I will see how I am feeling this weekend with them. Every day I see maybe minor improvements from Fluffy. Last night he simply laid right down after he ate and really didn't seem to want to go see her as much as he has previously. He may have also been pretty tired. Sapphire I see a lot of either hit or miss. Some days she seems very alert and interested, others she seems very tense even when he's 7 or 8 feet away minding his own business. Hopefully all works out!

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you again! :)

I will see how I am feeling this weekend with them. Every day I see maybe minor improvements from Fluffy. Last night he simply laid right down after he ate and really didn't seem to want to go see her as much as he has previously. He may have also been pretty tired. Sapphire I see a lot of either hit or miss. Some days she seems very alert and interested, others she seems very tense even when he's 7 or 8 feet away minding his own business. Hopefully all works out!
"Thank you again! :)" - You are very welcome

"I will see how I am feeling this weekend with them." - Sounds good. Just try not to put so much pressure on yourself. They are doing great and they will be together soon. All will be fine. :)

"Every day I see maybe minor improvements from Fluffy." - Great. I am so impressed at how good he is!!

" Last night he simply laid right down after he ate and really didn't seem to want to go see her as much as he has previously." - Perfect!!!

"He may have also been pretty tired." - Yes BUT if he was afraid of her, wanted to get rid of her he would be going after her tired or not.

"Sapphire I see a lot of either hit or miss. Some days she seems very alert and interested, others she seems very tense even when he's 7 or 8 feet away minding his own business. " - Yes, normal resident cat stuff. The important thing is he is being good. She is doing great for a resident cat and is going to be fine.

"Hopefully all works out! " - It will. :)

Keep up the great work and just enjoy them and that they are here. :)

Graham18

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
"Thank you again! :)" - You are very welcome

"I will see how I am feeling this weekend with them." - Sounds good. Just try not to put so much pressure on yourself. They are doing great and they will be together soon. All will be fine. :)

"Every day I see maybe minor improvements from Fluffy." - Great. I am so impressed at how good he is!!

" Last night he simply laid right down after he ate and really didn't seem to want to go see her as much as he has previously." - Perfect!!!

"He may have also been pretty tired." - Yes BUT if he was afraid of her, wanted to get rid of her he would be going after her tired or not.

"Sapphire I see a lot of either hit or miss. Some days she seems very alert and interested, others she seems very tense even when he's 7 or 8 feet away minding his own business. " - Yes, normal resident cat stuff. The important thing is he is being good. She is doing great for a resident cat and is going to be fine.

"Hopefully all works out! " - It will. :)

Keep up the great work and just enjoy them and that they are here. :)
Update from tonight. I wouldn't say that I let them interact, but overall it was really good progress. I got Sapphire to come pretty close to Fluffy using a treat. They were then having treats only a few inches apart with no issues whatsoever. Fluffy was really good and there was no hissing or swatting from Sapphire. There were a few times where Fluffy looked like he wanted to go see her but then decided he wanted treats more. Towards the end Sapphire did give out a small growl so I threw a treat for Fluffy into the kitchen and then kept him distracted while Sapphire watched before guiding him into his room.

I thought about continuing since they didn't really interact, but I didn't want to potentially ruin a positive experience so I kept it at that. All and all, the whole thing was about 5 minutes.

No issues afterwards. Fluffy laid in his room waiting patiently for his feeder ball and bird videos on the computer and Sapphire just went back to laying down (she did get zoomies after a few minutes and took off up to her room which is fairly common).

That's all for today :)

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Update from tonight. I wouldn't say that I let them interact, but overall it was really good progress. I got Sapphire to come pretty close to Fluffy using a treat. They were then having treats only a few inches apart with no issues whatsoever. Fluffy was really good and there was no hissing or swatting from Sapphire. There were a few times where Fluffy looked like he wanted to go see her but then decided he wanted treats more. Towards the end Sapphire did give out a small growl so I threw a treat for Fluffy into the kitchen and then kept him distracted while Sapphire watched before guiding him into his room.

I thought about continuing since they didn't really interact, but I didn't want to potentially ruin a positive experience so I kept it at that. All and all, the whole thing was about 5 minutes.

No issues afterwards. Fluffy laid in his room waiting patiently for his feeder ball and bird videos on the computer and Sapphire just went back to laying down (she did get zoomies after a few minutes and took off up to her room which is fairly common).

That's all for today :)
"Update from tonight. I wouldn't say that I let them interact, but overall it was really good progress." - Ok, great, let's see.

" I got Sapphire to come pretty close to Fluffy using a treat. They were then having treats only a few inches apart with no issues whatsoever. " - :yess: :hyper: :clap2:

"Fluffy was really good and there was no hissing or swatting from Sapphire." - Perfect

" There were a few times where Fluffy looked like he wanted to go see her but then decided he wanted treats more." - Love it

" Towards the end Sapphire did give out a small growl" - ok, that is just communication and he needs to learn that he needs to respect it.

" so I threw a treat for Fluffy into the kitchen and then kept him distracted while Sapphire watched before guiding him into his room." - Ok. Maybe in the future we can let it go a bit more.

"I thought about continuing since they didn't really interact," - GREAT!!! I LIKE that thinking!!! :)

"but I didn't want to potentially ruin a positive experience so I kept it at that." - Understandable.

"All and all, the whole thing was about 5 minutes." - Great. If they can do 5 minutes they will in time be able to do more.

"No issues afterwards. " - Perfect. Tells us what they thought.

"Fluffy laid in his room waiting patiently for his feeder ball and bird videos on the computer and Sapphire just went back to laying down" - Perfect

"(she did get zoomies after a few minutes and took off up to her room which is fairly common)." - I think that is excitement on her part. I actually get a sense she likes him!!! Pretty cool

"That's all for today :) " - :) LOVE IT!!! GREAT JOB!!! :clap2:

Graham18

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
"Update from tonight. I wouldn't say that I let them interact, but overall it was really good progress." - Ok, great, let's see.

" I got Sapphire to come pretty close to Fluffy using a treat. They were then having treats only a few inches apart with no issues whatsoever. " - :yess: :hyper: :clap2:

"Fluffy was really good and there was no hissing or swatting from Sapphire." - Perfect

" There were a few times where Fluffy looked like he wanted to go see her but then decided he wanted treats more." - Love it

" Towards the end Sapphire did give out a small growl" - ok, that is just communication and he needs to learn that he needs to respect it.

" so I threw a treat for Fluffy into the kitchen and then kept him distracted while Sapphire watched before guiding him into his room." - Ok. Maybe in the future we can let it go a bit more.

"I thought about continuing since they didn't really interact," - GREAT!!! I LIKE that thinking!!! :)

"but I didn't want to potentially ruin a positive experience so I kept it at that." - Understandable.

"All and all, the whole thing was about 5 minutes." - Great. If they can do 5 minutes they will in time be able to do more.

"No issues afterwards. " - Perfect. Tells us what they thought.

"Fluffy laid in his room waiting patiently for his feeder ball and bird videos on the computer and Sapphire just went back to laying down" - Perfect

"(she did get zoomies after a few minutes and took off up to her room which is fairly common)." - I think that is excitement on her part. I actually get a sense she likes him!!! Pretty cool

"That's all for today :) " - :) LOVE IT!!! GREAT JOB!!! :clap2:
I noticed yesterday and today, Sapphire has started going up on his perch on the window. Is she trying to steal his territory or does she just like going there because his scent his on it?

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I noticed yesterday and today, Sapphire has started going up on his perch on the window. Is she trying to steal his territory or does she just like going there because his scent his on it?
I would have to see her body language but given how she is generally acting with him I suspect she likes the perch because the view is good and it probably is comfortable and it is a sign she is totally fine with his scent and something she feels she can share with him.

Overall, I think it is great and a great sign!!!

Graham18

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I would have to see her body language but given how she is generally acting with him I suspect she likes the perch because the view is good and it probably is comfortable and it is a sign she is totally fine with his scent and something she feels she can share with him.

Overall, I think it is great and a great sign!!!
No issues with body language. She's never gone up there before and now she can't get enough of it. She doesn't even look out the window when she does go up. She just curls up and relaxes while facing into the room. She didn't even want to come down today for a treat when it was Fluffy's turn to have the run of the house.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No issues with body language. She's never gone up there before and now she can't get enough of it. She doesn't even look out the window when she does go up. She just curls up and relaxes while facing into the room. She didn't even want to come down today for a treat when it was Fluffy's turn to have the run of the house.
"No issues with body language." - Great

" She's never gone up there before and now she can't get enough of it." - Awwwwwwwwww

" She doesn't even look out the window when she does go up." - She will in time.

" She just curls up and relaxes while facing into the room." - Awwwwwwwww, perfect

" She didn't even want to come down today for a treat when it was Fluffy's turn to have the run of the house." - Hahahaha, too funny.

Will be interesting to see what he thinks of her being up there. ;)

Graham18

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
"No issues with body language." - Great

" She's never gone up there before and now she can't get enough of it." - Awwwwwwwwww

" She doesn't even look out the window when she does go up." - She will in time.

" She just curls up and relaxes while facing into the room." - Awwwwwwwww, perfect

" She didn't even want to come down today for a treat when it was Fluffy's turn to have the run of the house." - Hahahaha, too funny.

Will be interesting to see what he thinks of her being up there. ;)
Fluffy has been really good so far. I had them close together again last night and at a point he almost seemed a bit afraid of Sapphire. They both had a treat and he went and picked up his treat and then immediately backed up from her as if he was scared she was going to hit him. After that he even laid down right beside me and just watched her watching him. Just a few growls from Sapphire.

This morning I very briefly brought him out with her to give them a quick treat session before I left for work. He was a bit more active and she hissed at him once, but it was a very quick session as I had to go to work.

I still can't tell if he is respecting her communication. Even though he's been good, I don't see any indication of him changing his behaviour when she hisses or growls at him.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Fluffy has been really good so far. I had them close together again last night and at a point he almost seemed a bit afraid of Sapphire. They both had a treat and he went and picked up his treat and then immediately backed up from her as if he was scared she was going to hit him. After that he even laid down right beside me and just watched her watching him. Just a few growls from Sapphire.

This morning I very briefly brought him out with her to give them a quick treat session before I left for work. He was a bit more active and she hissed at him once, but it was a very quick session as I had to go to work.

I still can't tell if he is respecting her communication. Even though he's been good, I don't see any indication of him changing his behaviour when she hisses or growls at him.
"Fluffy has been really good so far." - :) He really is a good cat. :)

" I had them close together again last night and at a point he almost seemed a bit afraid of Sapphire." - Awwwwwww :/ Afraid?

" They both had a treat and he went and picked up his treat and then immediately backed up from her as if he was scared she was going to hit him. " - Well, that might have been a respect thing as well. I would have had to see it.

"After that he even laid down right beside me and just watched her watching him. Just a few growls from Sapphire." - Awwwwwwww, perfect. Of course we don't want the growling BUT I think he gets that it isn't aggressive/offensive.

"This morning I very briefly brought him out with her to give them a quick treat session before I left for work. He was a bit more active and she hissed at him once, but it was a very quick session as I had to go to work." - Great. When there is some energy (like getting ready for work, etc) AND they do well THAT is impressive!!!

"I still can't tell if he is respecting her communication." - Well, he is either respecting it or realizes it is kind of an "empty threat". He doesn't feel threatened really.

" Even though he's been good, I don't see any indication of him changing his behaviour when she hisses or growls at him. " - That is actually good. BECAUSE he is being good so the only real way to go is probably bad so if we are not getting that THAT is good.

I suspect he has figured her out. Her communication is a warning BUT not with a lot behind it BUT he choses not to fight or flee but rather just be himself. I think it is really good.

Just keep up the great work. You are VERY close if not there already. Just keep doing what you are doing and let's get them together. :) GREAT JOB!!

Graham18

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hello! Just a few small updates.

Monday night, things went smoothly again. The two cats will have treats fairly close to eachother, inches away at some points with minimal issues (the odd growl from Sapphire but no swatting yet). Fluffy seems pretty calm for the most part and will lay down sometimes still while Sapphire watches. At times he will try and walk slowly towards her but I will distract him with either my hand or a treat. Even though Sapphire is calm I can tell she's still a bit tense and unsure and I don't want to rush interaction while they are still doing good having treats together.

Tonight there was a minor incident that luckily didn't end badly. As I was going into my bedroom to play with Fluffy after work, he quickly snuck out through my legs and ran downstairs where Sapphire was laying on the cushions at the bottom of the stairs. I ran after him and called out to my partner to pick up Fluffy. Fluffy however, ran right passed Sapphire and towards the kitchen/dining room where I was able to pick him up. Sapphire looked absolutely terrified and was in a ready to run away position and also bracing herself for him to jump on her. I'm actually unsure whether his running to the kitchen and her scared position where a result of the situation, or the noise from me coming down the stairs. As I carried Fluffy back upstairs she ran upstairs as well, still looking scared, but she didn't seem to care about him and was looking around as if to try and see whatever scared her, which is making me think that she wasn't that scared of him, and more so, the sound of me running down the stairs. She seemed fine a minute or so later.

Face to face went the same as it has to this point with maybe a bit more excitement from Fluffy and a bit more nervousness from Sapphire. She would watch him while he stayed near me and would occasionally try and go see her (I could tell he also wanted to go to her food bowl which was still half full). He eventually laid down in the cardboard box and didn't get excited again until Sapphire started to move back towards her cushions. After I put him back in his room and the baby gates up while I got his feeder ball, that's when his tail really started thrashing while Sapphire sat and watched him.

She also has still been slightly playful after the introductions but not as much so this week. She's mostly just been going straight upstairs to lay on my bed.

Overall I think things are still progressing slowly, but steadily