Help/Advice for biscuits from scratch

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone!
I am tasked with bringing dinner rolls/bread for dinner at my sister's for Thanksgiving, but we all really love biscuits so I decided to make these instead for a nice change.
Looking for a recipe, I found this one (below) as I have all the ingredients (sort of) so I have some questions.

Ingredients
3 cups all-purpose flour
3 tbsp sugar
1/2 tsp salt
4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp cream of tartar
3/4 cup COLD butter
1 egg
1 cup whole milk
Instructions
  • Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
  • The secret to excellent biscuits is COLD BUTTER. Really cold. Many times the biscuit dough gets worked so much that the butter softens before the biscuits even go in the oven. Try cutting the butter into small pieces and stick back in the fridge pulling out only when ready to incorporate into the dough.
  • Combine the dry ingredients in a large bowl.
  • Use a pastry cutter to cut cold butter into flour mixture. Don't go too crazy here - you want to see small, pea-sized pieces of butter throughout the dough.
  • Add in the milk and egg and mix just until the ingredients are combined. The dough will be sticky but don't keep working it. You should be able to see the butter pieces in the dough.
  • Turn the dough out onto a generously floured surface. Sprinkle some flour on to the top of dough so it won't stick to your fingers and knead 10-15 times. If the dough is super sticky just sprinkle on some additional flour.
  • Pat the dough out to 3/4 - 1 inch thickness and cut with a biscuit cutter or glass. I ended up with nine this time but depending on who is snacking on biscuit dough, I can get up to 12 biscuits.
  • Place the biscuits on a lightly greased baking sheet or parchment lined baking sheet and bake for 10 to 15 minutes or until golden brown on top.
  • For extra yumminess, brush the tops of the biscuits with melted butter...

So my question....
They call for WHOLE milk, but we only drink 1% milk, although we do use half & half (10%) cream for coffee and I have plenty on hand.
Would you recommend I use the cream or the milk for this recipe?

Also, would any of you recommend using half butter and half shortening to increase the melting point for fluffier biscuits?

And if you have an even better recipe to use feel free to post it. (No buttermilk though, I don't have any, and don't want to go to the store :blush: )

Thanks a bunch!

Last edited:

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
They call for WHOLE milk, but we only drink 1% milk, although we do use half & half (10%) cream for coffee and I have plenty on hand.
If you use 2/3 cup 1% milk and 1/3 cup Half & Half, you’ll be about right for the fat content in whole milk.
Also, would any of you recommend using half butter and half shortening to increase the melting point for fluffier biscuits?
Would they be fluffier? I’m not sure. I think the shortening might make the biscuits a bit more crumbly. Because of the different melting points, the butter would make the biscuits moister. Butter creates steam as it melts unlike shortening. And butter imparts a richer flavor.

When I make biscuits, I cut the butter into small pieces and then stick the pieces in the fridge to get super cold while I mix everything else together. Then I cut the butter into the mixture as quickly as possible so I can get the biscuits into the oven before the butter softens too much.

Here’s a recipe my mom gave me years ago. Super simple because they’re drop biscuits—you don’t have to roll and shape them. On the other hand, that means they aren’t as pretty! :) I sometimes sprinkle Parmesan cheese on them before baking for some nice extra flavor.
CD31D683-706B-430B-8D16-850AB1F5A1D3.jpeg

• Purraise
Reactions: Jem

lizzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The recipe I have used for many a year is from my Fannie Farmer cookbook and they are a buttermilk biscuit.We love them and they are never fail.
4 c flour
2 t salt
4 T vegetable shortening
2 t baking powder
1 t baking soda
2 c buttermilk (depending on the day could be less but could be more)

Mix the dry ingredients together in a good sized mixing bowl.Add the shortening and cut in with a pastry blender.I use a fork and start adding in the buttermilk.You don't want a sticky dough. I put a small amount of flour on my bread board and scrape out the dough,shape it in to a disk about 1/2 to 3/4 " thick.I use a 13x9 baking pan,ungreased,and my biscuit cutter will give me 12 biscuits.Be sure to not twist the cutter...push straight down and give a wiggle (if you twist the cutter it can effect how well they rise) and place in the pan.Mine fit edge to edge.Bake at 400 for 12 to15 min...everybody's oven is different.You want them to rise nicely (don't peek and open your oven door) and be a light golden brown.Then I brush them with a light coat of melted butter.

• Purraise
Reactions: Jem
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Would they be fluffier? I’m not sure. I think the shortening might make the biscuits a bit more crumbly. Because of the different melting points, the butter would make the biscuits moister. Butter creates steam as it melts unlike shortening. And butter imparts a richer flavor.
When I was reading tips about making biscuits, it mentioned that shortening, due to the higher melting point forces/keeps them "expanded" while cooking, where as butter would yield "flatter" ones. But of course, butter is much richer and tastier.
I like experimenting but wanted to know if anyone has ever tried to do both. Maybe this time, I'll just stick with butter, and try the combo when I'm just feeding myself...in case they turn out bad.

(if you twist the cutter it can effect how well they rise)
Great tip!

but I am very good at cooking substitutions because I live so far from a grocery store, lol.
Thanks for the links, I'm sure they'll come in handy. You may not live close to a store...good excuse...I however am just lazy! LOL!

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
If you decide you might want to use buttermilk and you’re going to the store, look for powdered buttermilk. It keeps well for a long time and helps when you‘re in a pinch. Just an FYI.

My tip for biscuits? Do not over handle the dough!