Help! Adopted Two New Kittens, Now Experiencing Terrible Anxiety...

MollyEarth

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all.
I adopted two male kittens Bukowski (5.5 months old) and Hans (3.5 months old). I have been diagnosed with chronic depression, generalized anxiety disorder, and PTSD. I've been thinking about adopting a kitten for a few months now, thinking it would help with my mental health issues. I saved up quite a bit of money, and am working part time right now, so it seemed like the perfect time. I have cat scratchers, different kind of wands, beds, cat toys, I give them both nutrisource wet food and pellets, have some treats they really like. They only seem to be entertained when I'm playing with them with the wands though. I've witnessed them playfully chase eachother around a few times. I've been overwhelmed with anxiety since adopting them. I originally only wanted to adopt one kitty, as I live by myself in a studio, but ended up coming home with two (I fell in love with both, they played really well together, I told the adoption agency about my situation, and they were saying I should adopt both, they'd help keep eachother entertained, be better socialized, etc.). Bukowski had been neutered the day before I brought them home, and he had diarhea the first night, but was very cuddly and purry. I took both to the vet the following day, especially after finding a tape worm on Bukowski, and they gave them a dewormer and flea medications. Bukowski vomited the next day, which worried me. They both have a lot of energy, and it seems like Hans was seperated from his mama too early because he keeps trying to suckle on Bukowski, and doesn't respect Bukowski's space, and gets aggressive when I play together with them (growling, hissing, tale lashing, etc). Since I adopted them (they can be together again after tonight) I've had to lock Hans in the lock in closet when I sleep (he has a litter box, food and water, toys, a bed, a blanket, but it's still very small) which I feel horrible about, it almost would bring me to tears with Hans crying in the closet, and Bukowski supper happy and purry and climbing all over me. because of this I only sleep maybe five hours during the night, and try to keep Hans in the closet for no longer than 6 or 7 hours. Bukowski is less friendly, and seems a little annoyed by Hans, when Hans is out (during the day). When I'm with them I always put my hand in between Hans's mouth, and where he's trying to suckle on Bukowski. from what I've read about cat behavior (body language, tail, eyes, ears, whiskers, vocalization) they both now seem very comfortable in my studio (today is day 4). they don't hide in the closet and they nap out in my living area right next to eachother, or on the bed. Bukowski is very bonded with me from what I've read, I get the slow blinks from him, the trilling greeting, and his general body language seems pretty comfortable. Hans is a bit frustrated (cuz of the closet thing), but now he only cries for 10 minutes after putting him in, and tonight will be the last night of that. Hans has given me a few slow blinks and a few cuddles, but is not nearly as bonded with me as Bukowski is. Bukowski is a super cuddly kitty and gets jealous whenever I'm petting Hans, he wants all of the attention, and if he doesn't get it, after a little while he will just lay down. I try to play with them multiple times throughout the day, in the morning, right before I leave for work, right when I get home. I feed them 3 times a day. They seem to be getting more comfortable with eachother and better at playing, though Bukowski always dominates the play, but they've gotten a bit better at taking turns, but I can tell Hans is frustrated and needs to be played with more. I can't play with them seperately, if I start playing with one, one starts to join in. I've had some of the utmost wonderful moments with them, cuddling in bed, them being purry and climby and sleepy and goofy, and then terrifying moments too. Such as when Bukowski was sick. And then today, Bukowski was drooling and panting a bit after heavy play, he also has a bit of wheezing going on (for about 10 breathes) and at one point it sounded like he was trying to cough up a hairball (nothing came up). He's sleeping now. Whenever anything like that happens, diarrhea, change of behavior, not eating much, not playing much, I get terrifying crippling anxiety, feel like I'm going to fail them. Honestly I'm terrified of them dying. They're so small and delicate. And they both have different needs. And I live by myself. My studio is small, I have a full size bed in it, and between the main room, closets, and bathroom, it can probably fit a total of 4.5 full sized beds. I feel like it's too small for the kitties, like I won't be giving them the best life. The adoption agency and vet said otherwise, said to give it time, but I don't know. my windows are big though, and my multilevel cat tree should be arriving in a couple days (I'm getting rid of my table and chairs, and that's where it will go, right next to the window. I feel like I can't trust myself. For example, does a little bit of drooling, and a few seconds of panting mean Bukowski is super sick? Or is he fine? Is my anxiety just rearing its giant head? Part of me wants to try to adopt the younger kitten out to someone, but part of me feels terrible for that too because Bukowski and him seem to have bonded (even though there is a bit of aggression and annoyance. Plus I wonder if Bukowski will be less happy without him?) They use both their litterboxes though, zero accidents outside of the litterbox, and the very first night (before I figured out Hans was trying to suckle on Bukowski's surgery spot) they both fell asleep with me in bed, and did not cry at all.
On top of this, in about 3 weeks, I will be working full time again. I don't know what to do!!
any advice will be appreciated. I love animals, and my kitties are complex emotional intelligent sentient beings, and they deserve the best, they deserve to be happy. I haven't been sleeping much, or eating much, or drinking water regularly. Thoughts?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello! I read your entire post, and I'm applauding you for the fantastic job you're doing!!

does a little bit of drooling, and a few seconds of panting mean Bukowski is super sick?
If he does it again, try to get a video of it and show your vet.

Your vet and you are a team for your kitties. Be sure and keep the veterinarian in the back of your mind as you progress through this wonderful adventure with your two furbabies. Maybe that will help your anxiety, I so hope so because you aren't alone.
I'm sending you all sorts of Go You You're Terrific thoughts :cheerleader:!!

Sonatine

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Even without adding anxiety into the mix, the first couple of weeks with new cats is a whirlwind. You're still trying to get to know your cats, you feel like anything could go wrong and you're not confident in your ability to recognize a serious problem when it appears. Much of this is normal. Your anxiety is probably compounding it, but it's okay to feel unsure at first, and at least some of those feelings of uncertainty will probably subside as your cats settle in and you become familiar enough with them to really know how they're feeling.

I'm not really reading anything about your cats that sets off any alarm bells to me, though I admit I'm not super experienced with kittens. It'll be nice for Hans to not have to be in the closet at night, I'm sure. I wouldn't worry too much about Hans seeming less bonded. He's younger, and kittens are just little balls of energy at that age. Once he gets a little older, he'll appreciate petting and such more. And spending time with your older kitten will help him learn manners; cats are better at teaching each other those things than we are at teaching them ourselves.

It sounds to me like you're doing a good job meeting both of your cats' needs, and that they are enjoying both you and each other's company. I definitely second the idea of including your vet as a resource for keeping your kitties healthy and happy! And I know it isn't easy and the suggestion of a complete stranger isn't really going to fix this for you, but try to take care of yourself, too. New cats are so fun and exciting, but also really stressful, so if you've got any reliable self care things you do to help you with stressful situations, now would be a great time to try them.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Deep breaths and a nice glass of water. You must take care of yourself and eat. I understand anxiety can keep us from having our regular routine but try to get on schedule and that should help a little with the anxiety. Once the kittens are settled in to a routine too all should feel much calmer. Kittens really can provide lots of comfort, love and laughter. Just give it a chance. You’re doing great and have obviously been doing all your homework to be well informed. The other posts here are excellent advice. It’s all new but kitties are very healing creatures. They are intuitive and mine have helped me through many stressful events. I hope you will feel much more relaxed after letting Hans out of the closet. I wonder if that might be part of your anxiety? When both are sleeping next to you and purring, you may feel much better. I certainly hope so. :alright:Try to hold on the those moments when the kitties make you laugh. We are not anxious when we laugh.
Please post back to let us know how you and the kitties are doing. Many of us understand about dealing with anxiety of all kinds and with new kittens. We’ll be here.

pearl99

Pearl, my labrador who loved cats. RIP.
Top Cat
Purraise
All of the others' advice! Also when the cat tree arrives I bet they will love sitting in that looking out the window and running up and down it.
And 4 days is just a beginning of them adjusting to their new home and each other. As kittens they will adjust.
They do give a lot of comfort with affection, purring, head butts, loving looks, lap sitting (or beside you) and snuggling at night. And they are just silly and I laugh at the antics of mine still, at 1 1/2 and 5 years old.
It sounds like they are bonding with each other, and I think once Hans doesn't have to be in the closet things will feel better.
They teach each other manners so expect some hissing and growling and bopping at times, it's how they communicate with each other and is normal.
And yes would love to hear how they and you are doing!

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have had many others with anxiety post on here about getting a kitten or kittens. It can no doubt be hard, especially in a studio. I had two kittens in a studio like 30 years ago! Would never do it again, but I think you will get used to it, and it will get better. Before too long you will be laughing at their silly antics.

You are very honest with yourself, I'll be honest too and say that sometimes folks with similar issues tend to imagine medical problems where there aren't any. And even first time owners without anxiety have trouble understanding a lot of what they see! Like why does my cat act insane for 10 minutes a night and literally bounce off the walls? That is something called "the zoomies," just stay out of the cat's way and watch for 10 minutes! So feel free to take a video to show us of whatever, maybe we can save you the money of a vet visit. We are here to help.

Last edited:

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
You are doing a very good job. Give it time. It is just several days, and kittens have unlimited energy. But don't worry, they also grow up too fast. Soon they will not be as hyper as they are now. Currently I have a kitten that also wants to bother my other much older cat, and sometimes annoys the crap out of my Barley. So once in a while I also have to contain Graham in the living room while we are in the bedroom.

Kittens provide us a lot of amusement and laughter. Relax. Soon all this will calm down. Hang in there.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:welcomesign: Hi, I agree with everything Sonatine said! :yeah: I will add these few things:

1) I would let them be together. Look up cats growling while playing on YouTube. Cats growl and make all sorts of noise while playing. I suggest researching how to know when cats are fighting & how to break up cat fights safely. (When cats really fight the fur flies, blood is drawn & they yowl!) Get a 4ft by 4 ft piece of cardboard to put between them in a fight. I highly doubt you will ever need it but it will make you feel better to be prepared!
2) cats sense anxiety and it winds them up. I would suggest talking to your Dr about your extra anxiety right now.
3) kittens between 3-18 months just want to play! Think of 1st graders and later teenagers! They get more cuddly later. I used to lure my hyper punk onto my lap with wand toys (with a thick blanket on my lap) play, pet behind his ears for a few seconds then finish it with play for a few minutes. If you want lap cats then always give them 15-30 minutes of being on your lap and only petting them if they want, every time they get on your lap. My cats all knew that if I put a blanket on my lap I’m going to be around for a long time!

4) A bird watching window entertains cats like Netflix entertains little kids ;)

Lastly I am disabled from nerve pain (caused by MS) which I have had since 2007. Predictably stress & pain causes my depression. I seek small moments of joy everyday by looking for beauty everywhere. Plus I do something that brings me joy a few minutes every day. My baby twerp brings me joy and snuggles every day.

A MS support group helps me talk to people who get it. I’m sure you can find a support group for depression and anxiety online to help you. I wish you happiness & peace. I hope your tween kittens bring you joy! Take tons of pictures and videos!