Help!! Adopted 2 Sick Kittens In A Multi Pet Home And Worried I May Have To Return Them.

Brooklyndog13

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
In August we had to put our beloved Kitty Face to sleep. We have another cat that is about 5 and a dog that is 1. After a couple of months we noticed our cat was depressed and we dearly missed KFC's presence. We decided to adopt another cat. Initially I wanted an adolescent but thought a kitten might adjust better to life with a dog so I found the perfect little guy. Well, he was snuggled up with another kitten and my heart strings were pulled so we decided to take them both. One came with conjunctivitis and the other they thought had giardia. Over $300 later we found out the giardia kitten in fact has food allergies. Since adopting them just over a month ago, both have been constantly sick. Conjunctivitis kitty ended up with ringworm (something I knew nothing about and has plagued my entire world since) and got a URI. The shelter helped with the meds and both kittens tested negative 3 weeks later. Fast forward 2 whole days from test and the other kitten came down with conjunctivitis and then we noticed lesions (presumably ringworm). I have been cleaning like crazy but we live in a small 1 bedroom condo with no way to quarantine. I feel horrible because we have been treating them differently than we normally would due to the ringworm. The shelter obviously won't help with our other pets and I've spent over $1000 in the last month on vet, food, cleaning supplies, excel bill which is way high from doing so much laundry. I'm exhausted and feeling like a horrible person. Of course I anticipated vet bills but nothing like this. I'm currently struggling financially because of this and am not eating or sleeping well. I don't know what to do. We got them from a no kill shelter and are seriously considering returning them because I need to think of the best interest for everyone including ourselves, the kittens and my resident dog and cat. I have never even considered something like this and was very judgemental of people who return animals, but I don't know what to do if they keep getting sick and/or keep passing the ringworm around. Please give me some advice. Being rude will not help my situation because I have been beating myself up ever since I realized that I put my entire family at risk both financially, emotionally and physically. I am heart broken and don't know what to do. We love them but it might not be best for everyone for them to stay. And yes, I realize my house is already contaminated but 1 thorough cleaning instead of daily is a lot more feasible for me. I know that the future is unpredictable but I appreciate other opinions.

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi, and welcome to TCS :welcomesign:

I'm so sorry you're in this situation. Sadly, all these issues (save the allergies) are pretty common in shelter kitties :sigh:
Identifying Common Ailments In Cats Adopted From Animal Shelters And Rescue Groups

Ringworm can be such a nightmare, but the battle CAN be won. I don't have experience with it in cats (I've only dealt with it in horses), but these articles may help:-
Ringworm In Cats: How To Win The Fight
Ringworm Infestation In Cats: The Housecleaning Regime

At this point, with ringworm already in the home, I'm not sure that returning these two kittens to the shelter would help you at all with your other animals, but you have no reason to feel guilty if you feel that this is the best course of action - even if just financially. So many people go looking for kittens that they should have little difficulty in finding another home (hopefully, after the shelter has dealt with their ringworm).

I'm sorry I can't be of more help.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Brooklyndog13

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks so much for replying! I'm literally a mess. The shelter acts like it's no big deal but everything I've read suggests otherwise at least with battling it and stopping the spread. I love them but if I spend all of my money on them I can't care for my other pets or myself. One kitten has bonded with everyone, the other not as much. I'm just not sure what I can do if they keep getting sick. Plus trying to clean the entire house daily is impossible and exhausting. I would do anything for my animals but I'm scared that this situation may beyond my means.

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I get both the shelter's perspective and yours on the ringworm. Yes, it's no big deal (as in its not going to kill anyone or cause lasting harm), but it's an absolute pain to deal with, and can be pretty hard to get on top of (and totally eradicate) in a multi-pet home. I totally get how daunting a daily top-to-bottom house clean can be, so I really sympathise on that score too :frown:

I know you said you're in a small condo, but do you have any room at all for isolation? A small bathroom would be just fine, and isolating the kittens would make everything SO much easier.

Brooklyndog13

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Unfortunately, a tiny half bathroom is our only option. Our condo is a loft style with no walls or doors except for the bathroom. I feel terrible about putting them in there for a month give or take and don't know now if it would be one or both since the original guy came back negative. The kitten that currently has it has already had a harder time adjusting to our home. She loves the other kitten but takes 1 step forward with us and our other cat and dog and then everyone we have to medicate her she takes 2 steps back. She hides constantly and I don't know how isolation would effect this. I'm so overwhelmed and tired. I work a very labor intensive job and my boyfriend helps the best he can but neither of us would be considered well off, making less than $20 an hour in the now increasingly expensive Denver area. I'm not one to penny pinch on pets- I paid $1500 to have Kitty Face's teeth cleaned and pulled, plus treated his uti, when he got sick from a plant (my ignorance), and have spent several hundred dollars on the dog in the short year on various things from giardia, clostridium, swallowing a toy (luckily we caught it before surgery was required. I am just taken back by how much they and we have gone through in such a short time. I feel so stupid for not being more informed about kitten health. Kitty Face was 3+ when I adopted him and passed at only 8 - he was a Maine Coon and got an aggressive cancer. I've literally never had any problems with our other cat, Sebastian, who was 2 when we got him. Like I said, I definitely expected to pay for vet bills but not in this frequency or this soon.

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It's very clear just how much you care about and love your animals - they're really lucky to have such a good mum :heartshape:

Loft style living can be wonderful, but in this situations it's definitely more of a curse than a blessing. If you're ok with working around the kittens being in the bathroom, then that sounds just fine to me. Remember - it's still bigger than the cage they'd be in at the shelter ;)

As for who to isolate, that's a question for your vet. I'd probably retest the kitten who's ringworm free, just to be 100% certain that he's clear (I do gets little anal about these things though :wink:). If he tested clear very recently, the extra test isn't necessary imo, but again - your vet is the best person to ask.

It sounds like you're all (resident cat and dog included) really bonding with these kittens already, so I'd try to work through this if you possibly can. Isolation will make the whole process easier, and it sounds like the ringworm is currently a pretty mild case (and I'm really sorry if I've misunderstood you on that).

Having said all that, I strongly believe that your first duty is to your resident animals, not the newcomers. If you really can't cope (either financially or otherwise) with treating all the health and surrounding issues these kittens have brought, then there is no shame in admitting that and asking the shelter to take them back. You have to make the decision that's right for your WHOLE family, not just these two kittens.

Hang in there. There will be a way through this :hugs:

catpack

TCS Veteran
Kitten
Purraise
I've had some experience with ringworm and reoccurrence as well.

What are you treating the kittens with?

Also, what are you using to clean with?

He ringworm and URI likely go hand in hand as far as flare ups. Stress is a big factor for this.

What medication(s) is being used to treat the URI?

What are the symptoms? Any colored discharge?

Brooklyndog13

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oh man, the list is quite extensive..Names will probably help- Ninja came with the conjunctivitis and was on 10 days of tobramycin and clavamox twice a day. Minksy the one they thought had giardia was on a med don't remember the name for 5 days after that didn't work my vet precribed clavamox and probiotics as well as tresaderm and ear wash for her ear mites. That didn't help and the shelter then put her on some other deepened for 10 days which also didn't help- alas they were all wrong and we'd been medicating the poor baby for no reason as it appears to be a good allergy- tested for using bicom natural testing. About 1 week after Ninja stopped his meds we noticed a spot on his head right by his eye, googled it a came to ringworm later confirmed by the shelter. It was then that we noticed a lot of sneezing and green discharge from his eyes and nose. They put him on 10 days of doxycycline twice a day, terbinafine once a day for 2 weeks after his first negative test which we received on Saturday. Minksy tested negative every time but then Sunday (the very next day) I wiped what I thought was a sleepy out of her eye, by Monday she couldn't open her eye and was hiding, called the shelter and the said conjunctivitis and put her on the tobramycin twice a day for 10 days. Literally the next day as I was medicating her and trying to calm her down I felt the patch on the back of her neck and my bf found another one on the side of her cheek so we called the shelter again and bring both kittens in for testing on Saturday (I suppose I'm quite lucky they have been helping as I couldn't have afforded all of this on my own- vet charges $58 just to walk in the door). I assume she got it from rough play with Ninja and by a weakened immune system. I have been cleaning the best that I can albeit not as good as suggested because I don't think there are enough hours in a day for that. I vacuum daily- couldn't afford a heap filter vacuum as suggested as I put myself in the red financially buying new food, toys, cleaning supplies, a cheap but pet specific vacuum, etc. I've thrown away all 3 cat condos much to my dismay, wash all bedding daily or every other day, including the sheets on the couches in hot water and either vinegar or bleach and detergent. We wiped everything down with diluted bleach, I swiffer sweep every day or every other depending on time. The shelter doesn't believe in like dips but does suggest spot treating it with it except for Ninja's because it was right next to his eye. They act like it isn't a big deal and said to only clean once a week which I don't agree with but they deal with it all if the time and I'm totally new to this. I can't fathom doing the dips myself as I'm already scratched up for medicating them. I take my dog to play every day for 1-2 hours and work 40+ hours a week. Vet charges $35 per dip so obviously we haven't been able to afford that for everyone. I'm thoroughly exhausted. I slept maybe 3 hours last night which has become pretty normal since all of this. At the moment I don't see a light at the end of the tunnel. The shelter and my vet said no need to quarantine since we were all exposed already. I try to keep my dog away from the kittens but they love her and she loves them, especially Ninja, so I'm constantly trying to call her away from playing with them. My dog has a small bump on her head the shelter said that it doesn't sound like ringworm maybe for rough play at the dog park but we've been watching it and it boys getting bigger or spreading and I'm hoping to wait since she has to be seen for her vaccines in about 3 weeks. That right there is my red flag that I may be in trouble- normally she would've been at the vet as soon as we found the bump. I have money coming in at the end of the year for unexpected circumstances but have drained my current funds on all of this. By no means are we dirty but Geeze do the cleaning supplies go fast when using so much. Ninja still sneezes even after all of the meds but no discharge. I love them both and my dog and cat are especially fond of Ninja. I just worry that I can't afford them and my other pets if they all keep getting sick. I'm so drained and feel like I'm being a bad mom to everyone no matter what I do. I seriously just cry and clean and cry.

Brooklyndog13

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sorry for the typos. A dewormer and food allergy.

Brooklyndog13

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
*bump isn't getting bigger or spreading

Brooklyndog13

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Man I'm sorry, lack of sleep and using my phone for this has made many typos. I hope you can get the gist of what I'm saying. Thanks for all of your help. I'm losing my mind and my heart is broken.

catpack

TCS Veteran
Kitten
Purraise
Here is a great Q&A written by UC Davis's shelter vet department on ringworm:

What is the most effective way to resolve ringworm in my foster kittens? - UC Davis Koret Shelter Medicine Program

We too started off using Terbinafine to treat and after 3 rounds and the ringworm coming back, we finally just started using Miconazole and it worked WONDERS! Very easy to apply (it's a liquid) and we saw improvement very quickly.

We also used Rescue to disinfect at the suggestion of UC Davis.

Another thought, it would be worth talking with a vet about using Famciclovir in addition to antibiotics to treat the URIs. Many URIs are the result of viral infections that get worse with secondary bacterial infections.

If the URIs remain a constant issue (recurrent flare ups) there is a medication called Polyprenyl Immunostimulant that has been very effective for our rescue, but is it $$. But, cheaper than treating URIs all the time.

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
:eek:Oh my goodness - you really have been through it with Ninja and Minsky. Just :hugs::hugs::hugs:

catpack catpack has made some great suggestions, and I know she has a lot of experience in this area. I don't have much to add, but I really do think it's worth going back to the shelter and seeing if they can cover the vets bills in their entirety for these kittens. Not all shelters do, but I know that over here (I'm in the UK), most big shelters will cover treatment for pre-existing health issues of this type (ie things they picked up at the shelter). I don't know if it'll help, but this article has a list of resources for low cost vet care.

Hang in there :alright: We'll help and support you any way we can - even if you just need a place to vent!

Brooklyndog13

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So at this point I guess I'm just venting but will take any advice. I'm just going to admit that I'm a horrible person because we did take them back to the shelter. It was just too much for our tiny apartment and financially killing us. Plus now my dog had it. :( :( I'm so frustrated. I have a 5 year old long haired cat as well and we can't find anything on him. Problem is that I'm afraid we aren't seeing it and he does have it. My vet won't treat unless they find lesions and he will be impossible for me to bathe myself so I don't know what to do about him. We have literally thrown away so much stuff in our home. I've been wiping everything down with diluted bleach and adding vinegar to the laundry and misting the couch and carpet with diluted vinegar in addition to vacuuming everything I can. We've been trying to vacuum daily, change bedding daily or every other day. Problem is that I don't feel like I'm doing enough or have enough time for all of it every day in addition to my job and everything else. We can't have any one over or bring our dog anywhere except walks which is super depressing because she is extremely social. We bathed her today in veterinary formula shampoo from the store today and will again on Thursday. I've been putting lotrimin cream on her twice a day. I've read very single article I can find on this and I still feel overwhelmed. Should I be doing more???? I'm going to call an in home vet tomorrow to see about pricing and services but I feel like all he can do is say, "yep, ringworm," and continue on. I'm hoping may be he could give the cat a bath. However, this will get very expensive very fast no matter how affordable he is. I'm so stressed and the only positives I can find is declutter and a clean home, plus a very hard and horrendous life lesson. I guess I'm just really upset that the shelter is adopting these kittens out with no regard for the people adopting them or the other animals on their home and the fact that they acted like it was no big deal and I'm going overboard.

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
:hugs: You are NOT a horrible person for returning them. Its perfectly understandable that their health issues, albeit temporary ones, were just too much, financially and in terms of your sanity. Your first duty, imo anyway, is always to your existing animals, not the newcomers, and that is what you've honoured.

Many people going to a shelter are looking for kittens, so these two babies will have no trouble finding another home (hopefully after they've been treated for ringworm). The sad truth is that illnesses like URIs and ringworm are very common amongst shelter cats (which is likely why the shelter was so laid back about it), but that is little comfort to you, as you're dealing with an infection they brought into your home.

catpack catpack knows far more about treating ringworm than I do, but I'm here for moral support :hugs: Hang in there :hangin: You will get through this :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:

voyager

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Brooklyndog,
You cannot save the world.
You have yourself, your family, which includes your other pets, and your circumstances to consider.
I grew up rural with many animals around, a lot of pets and a lot of food animals.
You cannot fault yourself for returning them to the shelter under the circumstances.
You deserve praise for trying so hard to make a go of it.

I have had to give up some animals that were unadoptable.
Knowing that they would be euthanized, I have always done the deed myself.
I do not leave my dirty work for someone else.
The last time I had to do that was in 1985.
The two cats we have now are the first pets I've kept since then.
I didn't realize how much I've missed having animals around until bringing these two guys home.

Brooklyndog13

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you so much guys, for being supportive, helpful and just all around awesome. I really expected to be judged for everything-- being ignorant of these issues (I've always adopted 2+ year old cats but all of my dogs have been less than 1 year. Parents would bring in strays when I was really little and we have never dealt with any of this; maybe because Colorado is so dry and inconsistent weather wise.) I have had bad anxiety, depression and OCD tendencies, especially with hand washing, my entire life so this is hitting me hard. I keep blaming myself for everything; my incompetence, my negligence to my current pets, the poor kittens that did nothing wrong to deserve what life gave them and I essentially did by bringing them back, my boyfriend who has supported me all along but is also overwhelmed and frustrated, etc. I guess this is a terrible lesson that I needed to learn. I've been a vegetarian since 8 against my parent's wishes, always rescue any stray since I was a child, in spite of bites, scratches, etc. Heck I've saved several birds and squirrels but alas I admit defeat in this endeavour. What should I do about my long haired cat??? :( :( He will claw my face off if I try to bathe him. I've searched him for spots but he's so fluffy that I am probably missing it if it's there. He's a good groomer and never has had any matts despite not being professionally groomed or brushed. I had 2 cats and 1 dog for a while and we never had issues with caring for all of them adequately including months of puppy problems-- mostly $150 visits due to giardia, tapeworm, clostridium, swallowing a toy, and so on in addition to my 8 year old Maine Coon who got a UTI and then aggressive cancer. I spent over $450 just to do in home euthanasia and private cremation for him so by all means it's not about money. I guess I just realized that I need to think about the whole and not the parts. I couldn't provide care for 4 sick animals in a small apartment effectively without compromising something, including forgoing food for myself, sleep, play time, stress, my animals health and so on. I really do feel horrible about everything. I should've done... - that's all I keep thinking.

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
:hugs: You have to forgive yourself. You made the best choice you could under the circumstances. Kittens (especially ones as easy going as those two) will have NO trouble finding another home. You made the right call - I can't imagine trying to deal with ringworm in a loft/open plan apartment, and your existing animals have to come first :agree:

I get how much harder and more stressful this is to deal with with your health issues too :alright: I'm not going into details, but I have mental health issues too, so I really do understand and sympathise. I'm a mess just dealing with (very) minor flea infestations :rolleyes2:, and I don't know how I'd cope with ringworm in the home. It sounds like the kittens' issues were just too much all at once, and that's ok. Kitten's immune systems aren't as strong as in adult cats, increasing the chances that they'll pick up bugs etc in a shelter. It does sound like you were VERY unlucky though, for these little guys to have so many things wrong :(

For your current cat, it might help to have him professionally groomed, bathed and checked over for ringworm. Another option (much as I hate to suggest it at this time of year) would be to get him shaved. That way, you could see what's going on far more easily, and would catch any sign of ringworm immediately. Definitely something to think about, especially as you know its still in your home.

Lastly, please know and remember that this was NOT your fault!!! You were just unlucky.

Hang in there, hun :hangin: :hugs::vibes::hugs::vibes::hugs::vibes::hugs::vibes::hugs::vibes: