HELP! Administering SQ fluids onto a premature baby

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Blueberries

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for your encouraging words!

He indeed had inspiratory Dyspnoe, with suspected aspiration Pneumonia, but also aerophagia.

He has gotten quite used to the dropper already, sometimes he tries to ''bite'' the glass dropper to stimulate flow, but he has also shown that he can suck it like a straw! very cute. I have ordered some other bottles and nipples, and I hope he will accept them as they are out of silocon, meaning he could ''bite'' on them.

He still cannot really gain weight, and the last 2 days he has had constipation.. He could eventually push his faeces out, but I can imagine it being quite painful. He still has a good appetite, and does not show signs of lethargy. He does sneeze relatively often, but I can only hope that it is the Hexasolvon doing its thing.

Tomorrow we will become more antibiotics, we should keep him on antibiotic-treatment for a week, said the vet.

We reside in Saxony at the moment.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The meds are causing constipation. Add drops of olive oil to his milk feedings and it should help to soften his stool. If it gets bad, you can shave a tiny piece from a glycerin suppository and insert it. It usually works quickly.

Hopefully he will begin gaining weight soon, though it may not be until he has finished his meds and feels better.

I hope you are getting nipples that do not have holes already. That way you make the slit, which you make bigger as he gets bigger. You can also use a small 1-2 mL syringe to control flow. A pharmacy or vet can provide syringes.

Thank you for the update!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Blueberries

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am extremely sad to announce that the little fighter has died today.

He made it almost till 4 weeks old.

Last sunday his Antibiotics treatment ended and the vet didn't hear anymore nasty sounds in his respiratory system, and till yesterday, wednesday he was top fit.. he ate, he gained weight, he was playful and active. But last night he just refused to feed. Today we rushed to the vet and he heard very nasty sounds in his respiratory system again. He got a few injections, namely antibiotics, cortison, and infusion again, but when we arrived at home he took his last breaths.

Rest in peace poor little soul ...