Help - 9 mth male cat/kitten pooping everywhere!

tarzans-mom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oh my goodness - my 9 mth old, Mufasa or Spock I dont' know which one as I've not caught them in the act - has been pooping (diarrea) in my bathtub and this morning on the kitchen floor....yuck. I have 5 litterboxes - two automatic ones in the house and 3 in the garage (non automatic) I clean the boxes twice a day - so it's not an issue of a clean box to use. By the way I have 4 cats total - Tarzan (8 yrs), Captain Jack (5 yrs) and then Mufasa and Spock (brothers who are approx. 9 months and have all their shots as well as being neutered) - so I have plenty of litter boxes.

I just rescued a dog who was about to be put down, he is a terrier mix - he is really a cat in a dogs body which is why I love him. He and the cats play and sleep together - BUT I have caught the kittens eating the dog food - so I thought that may be the cause of the diarrea - so I now feed the dog in the morning and if he doesn't eat it - I put it in a tupperware container till I come home and feed him again making sure the little stinkers don't eat it. I've only been doing this for 2 days now - but this morning one of them pooped on my kitchen rug... what do I do????

Does anyone know if giving them yogurt will help ease their tummies?

I am going through chemo right now and am not able to afford a vet at this time - since they are not vomiting or acting any differently and have clean bottoms - I'm trying to see if I can help them at home first.

thanks.....

sport

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Diarreah is GENERALLY a sign of one of three things...either worms, in which case they will definitely need medicine...their diet is not agreeing with them, or they are very, very anxious about something (they're having anxiety attacks). My very unprofessional oppinion would be that the dog is the problem. As the dog may very well be a cat in a dog's body, it is still something in the cats life that it is not used to. Think about it if you were the cat. Suddenly, out of no where, you have a new room mate, who is much bigger than you are, you have no say in the matter, and you can't tell your owner how you feel about the whole situation. You might be a little anxious. Like I said, this is just a guess. I am not trying to place blame or anything like that. I know how it is to have health problems and have no money. I lost the use of my leg 2 years ago in an accident when I injured my spinal cord. I am so gratefull to have my cat in my life. He brings a smile to my face every day, especially those days when smiling is so hard. I am certain that you know exactly what I mean.

Sorry for rambling on, best of luck to you and your babies.

Rob & Sport

sport

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
As far as stomache releif goes, I have never heard of yogurt, but I have heard of mint, catnip and vanilla. All of the above can either be inhaled or infused with their drinking water like a tea.

Rob

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tarzans-mom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I thought it was the dog at first too, however, he is their size - but he is a dog. The kittens sleep on the sofa with the dog and on my bed at night with him, so I'm not too certain - but do agree that is could be the cause - although I've had the dog now for 3 weeks now and the pooping started over the weekend....

I'm curious to know if trying the plain yogurt will work - or it trying a little immodium AD for children can help them. I certainly don't want to make it worse.... but I am replacing one of the litterboxes this weekend with a MUCH larger one and see if that helps. I have started putting water in my bathtub so when he jumps in to use it - he runs out.... I did catch him sort of sniffing around the carpet this am, and I went to pick him up and put him in the litter box and he ran out the cat door to the garage and went in the litterbox there.

thanks to anyone who can help!!!

pee-cleaner

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
A little plain yogurt, brought to room temp, would be fine. I often use a probiotic capsule and just empty it out and my cats lap it up like it's the best thing ever.

Hope kitty's 'rhea is better soon!

tarzans-mom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
is that something I can purchase at a health food store?

does the yogurt need to be one with active cultures... wait, all yogurt is active cultures, right?

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by tarzans-mom

is that something I can purchase at a health food store?

does the yogurt need to be one with active cultures... wait, all yogurt is active cultures, right?
yes, yogurt has active cultures, but probiotic capsules have more. they are carried at most health food stores.
you also might try a bit of canned pumpkin [not pie filling, just plain 100% pumpkin]. according to all accounts, many cats like it [can't tell that by mine, tho
]. that would certainly be less expensive than either yogurt or probiotic capsules.

howtoholdacat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wouldn't give them people medicine like the Immodium. Often, animal's can't have our meds. It might make them sick or worse. Just curious, are you giving them milk? That can give them runny stool. I don't give mine yogurt for the same reason but since I never have I don't know if that would solve the issue.

What are you feeding them and how often do they eat? Like someone else mentioned have they been wormed? Young kitties often have worms and the treatment is inexpensive.

I'm sorry to hear you're sick and going through chemo. I hope it goes easy on you and that you are cancer-free soon!

howtoholdacat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by laureen227

you also might try a bit of canned pumpkin [not pie filling, just plain 100% pumpkin]. according to all accounts, many cats like it [can't tell that by mine, tho
]. that would certainly be less expensive than either yogurt or probiotic capsules.
I've seen that work with a cat I used to pet sit. Though, he didn't like the pumpkin and had to have canned food mixed in to eat it.

krazy-cat-lady

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I had a kitten with a similar situation, you can give them yogurt, or you can try canned pumpkin mixed with their food. Can also try petcillin(sp) can get it at your local pet store. Hope this helps some

tarzans-mom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the great ideas - i did give them both a little bit (less than 1ml) of the immodium ad and withheld food for 24 hours - worked for a day but it's back - i'm going insane.

Someone mentioned worming - they both have been wormed at the vet when they were neutered. this started about 1 month after they had both been fixed.

Mufasa is still catching little mice and I keep rescuing them....wearing me out!

I've called my vet but they are not really willing to help me with $$ side of things - called the SPCA, but they are low on funds they say due the hurricane animals they took in which depleted their funding.

Guess I'll try the capsules and go to a one of those health food stores and see what I can find....

thanks again.

abbycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When Zoey had diarrhea as a kitten we were going crazy with worry. Long story short we gave her some active yogurt culture and it made her condition worse and she started throwing up and wouldn't eat. We had to take her to the vet for fear she was going down hill fast. The vet had to force feed her and give her appetite stimulants to get her going again. We had the vet check out what was given to her and he thought that the probiotics disagreed with her little system and pushed her over the edge. If you get something from the health food store becareful of dosage if it's in human form and also look and see what is in with the probiotic. Sometimes they put other things in with it. Read the labels.