Help... 8 Month Kitty Recovering After Spaying..

Nana28

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
hi everyone -

My 8 month old kitten was spayed yesterday (2/24) and has been very sleepy, no appetite and not herself. I understand that she just underwent surgery but the post op instructions said she should be back to her self within 24 hours.

I’ve been checking her incision and it looks ok. She only ate a few bites of her food and I hand fed her treats. She’s been sleeping ALL day and only got up to follow me to bed :(

Can anyone share how soon their kitty recovered from fixing? Should I hold off before taking her to the vet?

I know I should probably give her more time to recover, but just a worried cat mom here :(

Thanks in advance

Attachments

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I know how it feels to be a worried cat mom. Since my Ruby was spayed before I adopted her, I don't know how long her recovery took. See how your girl is today, and certainly call your vet if you have any concerns. Meanwhile, here's a site article with some post spaying information: Spaying And Neutering - What To Look For After Surgery

Kreatorcat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Animals are like people,they are all different. Some will bounce back like nothing happened,and some will take more time. If she isn't better this morning,I would definitely get with the vet. Just remember the dope they used to knock her out was pretty potent for a little girl. It takes time for that stuff to wear off.

You are doing fine,Nana. Be patient and calm. But let us know how everything goes today.

kat hamlin

"RESCUE" is my favorite breed
Adult Cat
Purraise
If more than 24 hours have passed since taking her home from spay, and she is still acting lethargic, IMO a call to the vet is in order. Most kids that young do bounce back pretty quickly. I'm not saying something is wrong, per se, I'm saying this is a deviation from the norm and may be a sign of something possibly wrong, and thus it is perfectly fine to bring it to the vet's attention.
I used to work at a low cost, HQHV spay/neuter clinic. We took turns taking home the on-call phone at night and over weekends. I got a lot of calls that were pretty much nothing, but you know what, the time it took to reassure the owner was well worth it for our standing in the community and people's faith that we weren't just some cut-rate chop shop. And a good percentage of the calls WERE something that the doctors should know about, and a smaller percentage of them were animals that DID need rechecks. And I'd rather have 100 calls and 2 that need attention than 0 calls and the 2 that needed attention don't get it.
But hopefully it is nothing serious and your girl is just taking her time to return to her normal state. It is always funny to me that humans need weeks to recover from most abdominal surgeries. even laparoscopic ones, and our dogs and cats bounce back so quickly. But the discharge instructions are correct in that the lethargy-causing drugs should be thoroughly out of her system by 24 hours. She may need additional pain medication, if that was not given post-op or provided in take-home, because pain can cause lethargy too. The only way to know is to talk to the vet!