Help!, 2 yr old male drinking issues

three cat night

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My 2 year old male cat, Stevie has a behavior that is getting worse. When he wants a drink he goes over to the bowl which I keep clean & with fresh water , ( also extra ones upstairs) (and use stainless or glass containers) and just has to dig at it , knock it over, move it all over and naturally there is water everywhere by the time he is done. Sometimes I notice he isn't drinking any while doing this. Then I notice when he seems to drink right away he paws at the area around the bowl as if he is checking out the way it feels? I have tried all sorts of ways to see what he would like, for example, a tray with the bowl in the center and with shelving rubber matt just under the bowl to keep it sturdy . Also a soft towel under the bowl or paper towels etc. I have tried just a simple bowl on the counter with nothing else and he still seems to have to mess with it and seems as if he can't see the water or something. He has been to the vet several times and checks out fine. I know he does drink some because I see his urine clumps in the litter box. Has anyone else had this experience? I wouldn't worry about it but for one thing he leaves everything soaked around the area, he has 2 11 yrs old brothers that find the bowl empty sometimes if I'm not home, it's a big mess and I'm stumped!!!
Any ideas? Appreciate any advice!!!
3cat night

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

three cat night

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have wondered about that too, a few times I put an ice cube in the water, also used my finger to swirl it around and I think that just taught him to put his paw into the bowl and then he stares at his paw! I have been thinking ALOT about getting a fountain, what is your experience with them?

raintyger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, my kitty's not your kitty at all! She just stared at it like it came from Mars. But I would see about that fountain if I were you. Just make sure the place you get it from will allow returns if it doesn't work out. You can try turning on the faucet water and seeing if he goes crazy over that. If he does, good bet he'll like a fountain.

rlavach

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cat used to knock over the bowl all the time. He did it just for fun. He even started knocking over the slow feed water bowl that I got him. He's mischievous! I'd watch him, he got a thrill out of it! I got them a Drinkwell 360 fountain that really can't be tipped over & it's all good now. This same cat stares at himself in the mirror &  chases his own tail...so he's really nuts!