Help! 17 Yr Old Cat

Onlyme84

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello y'all!!
I am in need of some help. I have an inside male cat, his name is Kaden, he is awesome, loving, kind and old!!! This year he will be 17. 20171022_095554.jpg In the past year I have noticed he is getting slower and it takes him awhile to sit or lay down almost like he is in pain. I started giving him kitty bloom. It is concentrated vitamins and minerals. I use to put it in his soft cat food and now, he doesnt eat much. If I mix it in just about 2 tablespoons of soft cat food, he licks the top of it and that's it. I tried putting it in milk and he won't drink it. Tried putting it on turkey, he won't eat it. So now, I can't get him to take his vitamins and his health and energy in declining. He pretty much sleeps all day and night. This stuff is a powder cheese form so I can't just put it in his mouth.
So, I guess my question is.....is there anything like this stuff liquid form? Or, should I be doing more and he need to be put on some other medications? My fiance thinks that he is miserable and always talks about putting him down but I don't want to do that. I have had him all his life. I would like to see him more comfortable and not so much in pain all the time.
Thanks so much!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Onlyme84

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Are you giving him Kitty Bloom because your vet recommended it? If the pain is arthritis, i think Glucosamine would be more helpful.
No, I haven't taken him to the vet. I have always used the same pet store to get all my stuff for all my cats, and the lady that runs and owns that pet store suggested giving him it. He did great with it for over a year but now he won't take it.
What kind of form does the glucosamine come in for cats? Do you know?

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello y'all!!
I am in need of some help. I have an inside male cat, his name is Kaden, he is awesome, loving, kind and old!!! This year he will be 17. View attachment 201414 In the past year I have noticed he is getting slower and it takes him awhile to sit or lay down almost like he is in pain. I started giving him kitty bloom. It is concentrated vitamins and minerals. I use to put it in his soft cat food and now, he doesnt eat much. If I mix it in just about 2 tablespoons of soft cat food, he licks the top of it and that's it. I tried putting it in milk and he won't drink it. Tried putting it on turkey, he won't eat it. So now, I can't get him to take his vitamins and his health and energy in declining. He pretty much sleeps all day and night. This stuff is a powder cheese form so I can't just put it in his mouth.
So, I guess my question is.....is there anything like this stuff liquid form? Or, should I be doing more and he need to be put on some other medications? My fiance thinks that he is miserable and always talks about putting him down but I don't want to do that. I have had him all his life. I would like to see him more comfortable and not so much in pain all the time.
Thanks so much!!
My cat turned 16 in June. She has been on medacine for over a year which makes her drink tons of water and food. I have to lock her in my bathroom when she eats because of my other cats. She used to eat gobs of food but suddenly slowed down the past few days. Finally realized it's because I did not have a water bowl in my bathroom. Still doesn't eat as much. I help her by lifting the bowl to her height or adding in a tad of water

smurf

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I had a cat that was never a big eater and pretty thin so I used to give him tomlyn Nutri-Cal cat dietary supplement a couple times a week to give him a bit of a appetite. He lived to twenty I don't know if the Nutri Cal helped him live to a good age or not, but it didn't seem to hurt any and at least he would eat more. I would suggest seeing a vet if it is possible for any advice on how to make your elderly kitty more comfortable in his golden years.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
I also have appetite stimulants from my vet. Not OTC. I will not put her down til her medacine stops working. Her xrayed showed that she has arthritis in her back. Blood work high levels

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Onlyme84

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks you guys!! A vet check up should be my next step.
He eats fine and drinks fine. He has plenty of weight on him. He just won't eat if I mix the vitamins in with the food. It's like he knows it's there!!!
I just didn't know if there was something I could try to give him vitamin wise that is in a liquid form or easier to give to him because mixing with food is NOT working. Lol.

happilyretired

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
He sounds like my first cat when she was 17 (lived to almost 20). Yes, she slept most of the day, but she seemed content--except she moved with difficulty and seemed to be in pain. My vet and at first said it was arthritis. She did not respond to the Rx, so he did x-rays and found an old wound on her spine that had been aggravated during a dental cleaning (she wasn't handled carefully enough when anesthetized). He suggested an 'experimental' Rx, and within 24 hours, she was a new cat! She was able to move freely again.

My point is that you need to have your cat thoroughly examined by a vet to see exactly what the problem is. A pet store person is not qualified to give veterinary advice.

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I too recommend a vet visit, plus it really is important he eats. If he is eating less because of not wanting food that has your vitamins added on top of it, just go back to giving the food (plain) that he will eat. You might think that he is declining because of not eating Kitty bloom, but a variety of things could be happening to him that are above and beyond vitamin supplementation, since he is 17 years old. He could be declining for other reasons, and the best thing to do would be to have a vet give him a good check-up! I personally wouldn't add any supplements without checking with his vet first.

Lalka

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Cosequin sprinkle capsules for cats are great but i will still ask your vet first. I also sometimes buy Flexadin chews at my vet but they are expensive.