HELP! 1 week old kittens in crawspace! need advice asap

maiya clouse

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
ok. so a few days ago we brought in this mommy cat and her 5 1 week old kittens (mom is friendly) because it was stormimg really bad. we had her in a dog crate in my room (the basement) but she got out and moved her kittens in the most diffcult place! its a little crawspace that goes about a yard back, so my hand cant reach that far, but the opening is so small i can barely get my arm in there! i cant keep them there! what do i do! any advice on how to rescue the babies???

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Is the momma cat friendly?? Can you pet her? Does she trust you? IF so, set up multiple "nesting" boxes for her in the basement so she will be encouraged to transfer the kittens from the crawlspace to the new boxes. You can use a few cardboard boxes, with blankets inside and by covering them completely, only leaving a small opening, she may be willing to move them. She will not leave them there to perish as long as she is not scared off, frightened traumatically, or threatened, then she will feel safe to move them. She obviously felt very unsafe in the dog crate and that is why she moved them.

If there is anyway she does move them, all five, then plan ahead to block off any and all of those tiny crawlspace holes so that she doesn't feel the need to bring them back up there. I have a few openings in my basement ceiling and I just blocked them all off with old towels so my cats can't get into the ceiling.

I don't think she will just leave the kittens in there and not take care of them. Best scenario, again, is that she feels comfortable enough to move them to the hideouts you will supply for her as an alternative. :cross: :vibes:

:vibes::vibes::vibes: