Help! 1,200 Mile Car Trip

CannibalCheshire

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My kitty Snow and I are moving in a couple weeks. Our new home is 1,200 miles away and I'm driving. This is my first time traveling with a pet. I want to make this move as easy as I can for Snow, but I'm not sure what to do.

Snow has been absolutely terrified the couple times I've had to bring her to the vet. Non-stop crying, shaking so much the carrier moved, and even pooping halfway through the ride. I recently bought a bigger cage (one made for a medium sized dog) thinking that it would be more comfortable than a small cat carrier. I've kept the cage set up, open, inside the house for a while now. She loves it so much, that's where she sleeps. Some toys and her favorite blanket are in there.

I've driven Snow around the block a couple times. Once inside the cage in the back seat, the other out of the cage in the front seat. Both times she was in her harness and had a leash on whenever a door was open. I took the leash off once we were going, and kept the harness on the whole time. She liked being free and able to explore better, obviously, but I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be safe having her up there for that long of a car ride. When she was in the cage, she started crying almost immediately. She wasn't shaking like she did in the carrier, but I could tell she was distressed.

Does anyone have any advice they could share with me? I'd like to make this trip at least somewhat bearable for Snow...

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi - It sounds like you've already accomplished some big forward progress - good for you!!
Take a look at these articles, (I don't know if you're moving into an apartment but a lot of the tips apply to a house)

Also there are a lot of calming products on the market besides feliway, (which doesn't always work with some cats) that have a wide variety of different ingredients so hopefully you find something that helps her to feel better.
There are wipes and sprays, which you could use on and even in the carrier, also the car seat, and maybe put one of your worn/not washed tshirts in the carrier that she can lie on.

36 Awesome Tips For Road Tripping With Your Cat
How To Move With Your Cat To A New Home In A Safe Way
Renting With A Cat? Find Out How To Keep Your Landlord Happy
9 Tips That Will Help Your Kitten Adapt To A New Apartment

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would add to those 36 tips, if its a long road trip and you need to open the carrier in the hotel, (for example, you mentioned yours poops in the carrier) do so in the hotel bathroom with the door closed. You don't want to be in the situation my brother was in, where he spent 2 hours trying to catch his cat in the morning and get it back in the carrier. Of course, if you have a big fluff ball that doesn't really run from you, you could risk it.