Hello!

mokapi

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Some of you might have already seen me posting in threads...I'm a little late to the introduction party.

My name is Chelsea, and I have two cats, Mrowmrow and Keegan, and one little mutt named Chip. I'll definitely mention all three of them in posts at some point or another. I've been working with animals in some capacity or another for about 12 years.

Mrowmrow is some sort of Russian Blue mix; I took him in when he was about three weeks old, after his breeder was going to "cull" him. His mother was a purebred, and apparently got out, bred with a random tom after being bred to another RB, and the litter ended up kinda wonky. He has a white locket on his chest, and his confirmation isn't right, but he's still my handsome blue boy <3 He'll be nine years old in August. He's been runty and sickly his entire life, so we've gone through a lot of problems: URIs, UTIs, etc. I always say he's down to fewer lives...the last time we almost lost him, the vet gave us the wrong medication, with the wrong label, and I inadvertently almost killed him. Worst weekend of my life. He's highly allergic to *something* in wet and dry food-- I think it's potassium chloride-- and so he's been fed literally close to a hundred different varieties of canned and dry food over the past nine years. I occasionally think of us as cat food aficionados. Additionally, he has an anxiety problem that seems to be manifesting as some sort of "cat OCD", and he hasn't had "sleeves" or "trousers" since 2012. When I first took him into our new vet, she apparently asked her techs who shaved him for IVs. He fell out of a window last month while I was running errands (popped the screen out!), and the neighbor saw/heard him struggling to get back inside, and told me later that a "cat with mange" had been trying to get into my house. Three vets later, and it's cat antidepressants or deal with it...so we deal with it. Hes the feline love of my life. I'm convinced we're soulmates, and that this isn't the first time he's been with me...he's too eerily similar to two other cats I've had, one after the other. Each time one dies, the next shows up within a week, displaying the exact same mannerisms to an uncanny degree. I think Mrowmrow has been with me in some body or another since I was 6. I'm 26 now.

Keegan Michael-Key is a random kitten that was dropped off at the park where I worked as an interpretive naturalist. I had just moved into my boyfriend's house-- he lives on four acres-- and, since I'm dating a sucker for all things fluffy, I was allowed to bring him home...so long as he lived outside. There's already a well-established feral colony in the neighborhood (all spayed/neutered thanks to a TNR program), so I said okay. He stayed outside for about two months until I could get him fixed and vaccinated, and then I brought him inside. He's probably about 8-10 months old, and is extremely weird.

Hopefully I can return some of the help I've already received! I'm hoping to be able to post pics of my boys tonight :)

Cheers!

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Welcome! I look forward to seeing pictures of your kitties!

lalagimp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My russian blue mix is my love as well. He's kept us busy for almost 8 years. He's on Prozac for a spraying issue cause he was so full of anxiety. He used to do stuff like break outside and climb onto the roof. He tried to climb straight up the apartment building wall and got as high as my head in a flash and I had to grab him 'round the waist overhead. He fell off a balcony while chasing moths. He was once to constipated he couldn't stop vomiting. $500 later at the vet they're like oh your cat can't poop; you can see it on the xray here. Last spring he ripped a nail right out of the bed.
We thought we were good. Then over the past 6 months he had three urethral blockages and ended up with surgery to reassign his urethra. Now he's special needs because we're always trying to feed and supplement him for his bladder health because those blockages were coming from somewhere. And he used to be 21 lbs and is now 12 1/2. That took 3 years. My fault. I've had him since he was 2-3 months old.
Amazing that you found your baby before the breeder was about to cull him. These guys are awesome. The relief. Tommy came down with kitty cold before his first week living with me had even finished. So , if I hadn't gotten him that weekend they would have euthanized him by the next. Green snot bubbles, puffy eyes, sneezing snot everywhere, lethargy. I've never seen a cat sick like that in my life.
I hope you find what you're looking for around here and even some stuff you didn't know you were looking for. There's a homemade/raw food section that's pretty useful in Nutrition just to toss ideas around since you can't really trust many commercial foods with your guy.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mokapi

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I wonder if anxiety issues run in the breed...? So many of those antics sound like things Mrowmrow would do, LOL. Gotta love the $500 constipation. Both 21 and 12 sound HUGE to me as M is only about 8 pounds...maybe 8.5 after a good meal. He's a tiny little guy. He suffered from a similar URI when I got him. I feel guilty, because I wasn't nearly as knowledgeable about animal nutrition when I was 17/18 as I am now, and I fed him a lot of junk when I first got him.

And hello, abyeb abyeb ! Thank you for the welcome!

Here are some photos of Mrowmrow (photos of Keegan to come!):

tumblr_n9lamyHiIq1sq5akoo1_500.jpg
tumblr_nbz7l3vfQa1sq5akoo1_500.png
11hberl.jpg
nqp7c2.jpg

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Hello mokapi mokapi , welcome to TCS :wave3:

Glad that you've joined the site and what an adventure Mrowmrow went through and am glad he's ok today.

Feel free to ask questions and do check out the interesting and informative reads in the Articles section.

Mrowmrow is beautiful :lovecat::lovecat4: Do post more photos of him.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Welcome! What a lovely boy Mrowmrow is. I can't wait to see Keegan as well!

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Welcome, mokapi mokapi , Mrowmrow and Keegan! We're very happy to have you here.

:cold: I get the chills thinking about how Mrowmrow and Keegan came to you. Talk about escaping by the skin of their teeth! I'm so glad they found safe harbor with you.

I hope we're able to help you with some of the issues your cats have, thinking especially of poor little Mrowmrow. And post pictures, please, lots of pictures. We're all suckers for cat pictures here.

Margret