Hello

huxleysmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hello everyone,

My name is Anne and Huxley is my boy. He is 5 years old and I adopted him on New Year's eve. He is the first cat I have ever owned and I am in love with this boy! He is the gentlest thing, loves to be carried around and cuddled. He has had a rough time the last few years between being abandonned by his previous owners, dealing with stomatitis and full teeth extractions and now I am trying to figure out what allergies he has as he has been dealing with regular vomiting, chewing of paws, ear infections, sneezing, wheezing... if it's an allergy symptom, the boy basically has it!
He is worth it though and brings me so much joy.

Attachments

Primula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi Anne. Kudos to you for helping your sweet boy. My kitten did not survive his full-teeth extraction so I am very glad your cat did. When stomatitis is involved, it is totally necessary to remove all the teeth.

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Welcome to TCS! We have a lot of fun photo forums around here, where you can show off pics of your cat, so I'd love to see some pics of Huxley around there. Here's a thread that would be purrfect for Huxley: Bi-color kitties only!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

huxleysmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am sorry to hear about your kitten. To be honest I did not know Huxley had stomatitis when I first got him. The shelter just said he had had some teeth problem and that they had had to take them out and that he was all good to go. I didn't know much about cat teeth diseases back then (I do now trust me!) so I believed them. Whether the ladies that introduced me to him that day didn't know the full extent of his medical condition or they just didn't want to tell me the whole truth in case it would put me off of adopting him I don't know, but to be honest I am glad they didn't tell me. I may have missed out on the best cat ever. ❤

Hi Anne. Kudos to you for helping your sweet boy. My kitten did not survive his full-teeth extraction so I am very glad your cat did. When stomatitis is involved, it is totally necessary to remove all the teeth.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Hello Anne and Huxley, welcome to TCS :wave3:

Thank you for adopting Huxley and giving him all your love despite of his allergies.

Glad that you've joined us and feel free to ask questions regarding his health but a visit to the vet is the best bet.

As what abyeb has mentioned about photos, please do post more of Huxley's photos for us to see. He's a handsome kitty :wink:

huxleysmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Huxley and I have taken many trips to the vet already. The vet took x-rays to see if he had polyps or chest infections (came back negative though he has mild chest inflamation). I am currently waiting for the allergy blood test results. Hopefully this'll at least help me eliminate what he is not allergic to.
I've finally managed to change his food. The poor thing is also very picky and wouldn't eat much, which I now understand as he probably associated eating with feeling sick. He is already doing much better. So far I suspect a pea/soy allergy. Fingers crossed that's all it is.
Hello Anne and Huxley, welcome to TCS :wave3:

Thank you for adopting Huxley and giving him all your love despite of his allergies.

Glad that you've joined us and feel free to ask questions regarding his health but a visit to the vet is the best bet.

As what abyeb has mentioned about photos, please do post more of Huxley's photos for us to see. He's a handsome kitty :wink:

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Hoping for the best in the test results. Food allergies are tricky to resolve.

Did you check if you have some other stuffs thatbhes allergic too besides food? Could be perfumes, air fresheners, dust or other allergens that's bothering him.

Do update us about the test results :wink:

huxleysmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yes. I think he may also have a dust allergy. I have been running an air purifier 24/7 and I think it's helping. Funnily enough I originally bought the purifier before I got him to help with my own cat allergies! Within weeks of having him I didn't need it anymore as my allergies seemed to have gone and now he is the one who needs it!

Did you check if you have some other stuffs thatbhes allergic too besides food? Could be perfumes, air fresheners, dust or other allergens that's bothering him.

huxleysmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I got the allegy result tests and they are not good! I know there are most likely a few false positives, but he is allergic to a ton of things (soy and legumes, beef, poultry, milk, lamb, fish....)
I have found only a handful of commercial wet food he could have but he point blank refuses to eat any of them. I have tried starting with a tiny spoonful of new food hidden in the old, but he walks away and will not have any of it. I don't know what to do. He needs to eat obviously, and I have to give him pred so I am at a loss....

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
I got the allegy result tests and they are not good! I know there are most likely a few false positives, but he is allergic to a ton of things (soy and legumes, beef, poultry, milk, lamb, fish....)
I have found only a handful of commercial wet food he could have but he point blank refuses to eat any of them. I have tried starting with a tiny spoonful of new food hidden in the old, but he walks away and will not have any of it. I don't know what to do. He needs to eat obviously, and I have to give him pred so I am at a loss....
@mrsgreenjeens

huxleysmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I had to bring Huxley to the vet yesterday for them to keep him on observation and try to make him eat again and sort out the nausea issue he's been having. He had almost stopped eating yesterday. Only had just over an ounce of food in the morning, and threw up the other ounce he ate when I got back. Poor thing has lost just under a lb since the last time I took him to the vet less than 2 weeks ago. I am obviously very worried about him, especially sine he probably is also very confused about being put in a cage again. He must think he's been abandoned again. I know it's for his good though. He would get even sicker if he continues to not eat. :(

huxleysmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I left him at the vet's last night so I doubt they have figured out anything yet. She wants to keep him until Thursday. I'm going to go visit him today and bring him some things like his bed and a shirt I have been wearing so that he has some familiar smells with him and someone to play with for a while.... and also because I miss my baby!

Is Huxley back or still at the vet's and did they find out anything yet?

:vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:

huxleysmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Update:
Huxley ate all of his food overnight and seems to have responded well to the anti nausea medication.It seems like my boy is a "private eater" as he will only eat at night when no one is in the room, something I have noticed before. The vet says she will try to take it away this evening and see if he eats and keeps it down. It is possible that what makes him nauseous is pred, which is an issue because he will only eat foods that have possible allergens in them like chicken. If he keeps his food down this evening, he can come home on Thursday. If not, we'll have to take it from there.
Keep your fingers crossed for my baby!:redheartpump::lovecat:

huxleysmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have just been told that I can take Huxley home this afternoon! :banana1::woohoo:
Since the last few days must have been very stressful for him and he hasn't been home for the last 3 days so I was wondering if I should put him in his safe room aka the bathroom like the first time I brought him home, or if I should just let him out into the whole house as usual.
Any thoughts?
I am so happy he is coming back! I hope he is finally able to eat and tolerate the food he is on. I am worried this is just a temporary break and that the problems will soon return.
But for now, Huxley is coming home!!!!:jump:

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Yea! That's good news! :hyper:

Make sure you give him lots of hugs and kisses :hugs:

Should be ok to leave him to the whole house since it's a familiar place to him. He might just be quiet and stay weary for awhile but he should be over it in no time.

huxleysmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You were right, he did just fine and came for a cuddle and started playing again very quickly. He is eating the dry food the vet put him on, but I have had no chance with the wet so far, maybe because I tried to put pred in it. My question now is, how do I give him both pred and nausea meds if he won't eat it in his food. I have never tried to pill him, but he gave me a real hard time when I tried to clean his ears so i don't think it'll go down easily!
I live alone so any tips on how to pill him are welsome!

Yea! That's good news! :hyper:

Make sure you give him lots of hugs and kisses :hugs:

Should be ok to leave him to the whole house since it's a familiar place to him. He might just be quiet and stay weary for awhile but he should be over it in no time.

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
You were right, he did just fine and came for a cuddle and started playing again very quickly. He is eating the dry food the vet put him on, but I have had no chance with the wet so far, maybe because I tried to put pred in it. My question now is, how do I give him both pred and nausea meds if he won't eat it in his food. I have never tried to pill him, but he gave me a real hard time when I tried to clean his ears so i don't think it'll go down easily!
I live alone so any tips on how to pill him are welsome!
Some of the members here use pill sleeves or pill pockets. Some mix them up with wet food but it's a hit and run thing as they are very sensitive to smell and taste and they can sense the bitterness of the med in their food and they won't eat and when they don't eat, they don't get their medications and the food and medications will be wasted.

Here a thread on how to pill a cat :-

How to pill a cat, need tips.

An Article on :-

Pilling Cats: Must-Know Tips for Hiding Pills

How Can I Give a Pill to My Cat