Hello! Pita Has a Problem :(

Hannah B23

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi!

I just signed up and I'm looking for some help with my 12-year-old cat Pita. She has always been a very durable and healthy cat. About a week ago I noticed a white spot a bit smaller than a dime on the back of her ear. There was some hair loss, too. Whenever she or her sister, Savvy, have any kind of little bite they scratched, a little hydrocortisone clears it right up.

I had never seen anything like this but I had some PhytoVet CK wipes that apparently kill both bacterial and fungal infections. I applied it only once a day and I thought it was working. The white spot turned red and it appeared the hair was beginning to regrow. I kept using the wipes once a day and sometimes alternated hydrocortison thinking one way or another I was covered.

Today I noticed it wasn't clearing at all, it was getting bigger. There were more red spots with hair loss and they look scaly and a bit circular. it was spreading down the back of her ear. I searched some of the info on this site and ran across someone with a similar problem who thought it was ringworm. When they took it to the vet it ended up not being ringworm but the person had treated it before the vet visit with Lamasil and bleach and thought they may have cured it.

Someone suggested he try colloidal silver and he purchased some on Amazon and had success with it. I don't recall the brand he used. Apparently, it works against some resistant strains of antibodies. Anyway it helped his problem when the vet offered nothing but an expensive bill. If I can't gain the upper-hand on this I will figure out a way to get Pita to a vet as soon as possible. But I wanted to see if anyone could shed any light on this problem.

After learning more about what to do if it was ringworm I know I made a lot of mistakes in the treatment with the CK wipes and the cortisone. I needed to apply the wipes several times a day, not just once. And the cortisone I applied probably made the problem worse. I washed the ear and applies a fresh coat of the Ketoconazole from the wipes, the active ingredient the kills ringworm. Unless there is another home remedy that I have on hand, I will use the wipes every few hours until I can get Pita to the vet or get some CS if you think it's worth it to make a Amazon Prime order immediately.

Do you think the CS may be superior to what the vet would prescribe? Actually it took the vet three weeks to let the guy know the results of the test so maybe I should order the CS and get over to the vet also. I have read so many complaints about vets not being able to cure things and charging hundreds if not thousands of dollars. I don't have that kind of money.

Another thing is the Internet is full of articles telling you multiple things to try against ringworm without giving any indication which one is the best or the one they would try first. I really feel like I should have gone to the vet already and really just noticed today that Pita's condition took a turn for the worse. Besides the ugly looking moth-eaten-like ear, the cat seems fine and is acting normally. She is a little stressed with me wiping her ears with a wet pad but she's being a good sport.

My hope is that I could reverse this NOW by sticking with the wipes and treating several times. Then, if you think I should order the silver from Amazon, I will purchase. Please let me know if there is a preferred brand I should get and how I should proceed once I get it. Is there anything else I should do? All kinds of stuff was mentioned, from garlic to salt and vinegar but no one said any was better than the other. With the silver at least I had a personal testimonial from your site. PITA WILL BE GOING TO THE VET ASAP. I'm trying not to panic. Just checking it by you guys and weighing options.

Thank you very much for taking the time to read this and if you don't have the answer it's okay. Thank you!

Hannah b23

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Hannah B23

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Update: I don't think it's ringworm. She hasn't been exposed to other cats or anyone with ringworm. She's an indoor cat and has been in this apartment non-stop since I lived here. Her sister was only to the vet last summer and is fine. I found an article that said if it looks like ringworm it's not. I also saw a lot of articles that said colloidal silver does not cure ringworm. I order it from Amazon, a vet-approved brand. Whatever Pita has maybe the colloidal silver will work. I'm sure the vet will try to prescribe antibiotics and recommend tests and steroid shots. For 12 years Pita hasn't had a single problem except fleas here and there. It could be a reaction to a flea bite. That's where I am at midnight.

good night

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Until you get her to the vet (possibly for a skin scraping to check the cells under a microscope), you don't know what Pita has and therefore could be treating it with things that are not appropriate - or, might even make it worse. In a case like this, if it were me, I would be taking my cat to the vet before the situation gets worse. Any time you are dealing with an older cat, you have to be very careful as they tend to be more susceptible to additional health issues that stem from the initial problem.