Hello, new to tcs

brandy-neka

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello my name is Brandy, I'm 22 years old and pretty much my whole life I have loved cats. From when I was a baby until I was 17 and a half years old I had a Siamese named Spunky. He was the most mellow cat ever, he would let you cradle him like a baby and pretty much not care how you held him as long as he was getting attention. He didn't like getting his tail pulled though, learned that when I was seven (smile). He was an in door and out door cat and when i was old enough to actually know about cats he was already trained on what to do or not to do. (Granted when he got to be about 16 he started spraying again but that was because of old age, not how he generally was). Anyway when he died I was absolutely devastated it was like I lost my best friend and in a way I had! Took me several years to want another cat, and then when I did I wasn't in a home where I could get one....

So about two months ago I moved into a new apartment. Then about a month ago I got a new savannah kitten, she was born on March 11, 2011 but I got her on August 30th 2011. I named her Neka. She is very affectionate, she was already spayed when I got her from the breeder. The breeder didn't want me to declaw her and I haven't... my arms could show you that
. She sleeps with me every night or if she doesn't go to bed with me she wakes up with me at least lol. She loves to play. I already have her trained to a harness... now if only I could get her trained to a leash. She likes water... She also has some health issues - sneezing and such the vet says she's pretty healthy.

She is having some behavioral issues though that are making me worried...
-Chewing on wires/cords
-Chewing and eating carpet (at least they are small strands and not the long ones...)
-Chewing on metal

Essentially all of her issues resolve around chewing or trying to get into something she shouldn't. But bitter apple spray and a squirt bottle doesn't deter her... I have put double sided tape on the door stoppers she was chewing on and thats stopped that behavior but I can't put double sided tape over every cord in my house... it's a learning process I suppose.

cat person

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi and welcome to TCS
. I am sure you will love it around here. As you will be among many other cat lovers

As far as how to stop those behavioral issues, I would recommend you make a post in the behavior portion of this forum. You will get plenty of answers that way

If and when you have time, could you post photo's of your cat? We would love to see your cat

-_aj_-

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi there welcome along to TCS

If you have any questions about the site please just send me a private message and I will be happy to help

As for the behaviour questions you would be better off posting in the behaviour forum and someone in there can offer better advice

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Welcome Brandy,

It sounds like Neka is like most kittens....
curious, goofy and not afraid to chew on anything.

As another poster suggested,
it might be useful for you to start a thread about her behavior issues in our Behavior forum linked below....
http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5
Be sure to read the "sticky threads" at the top of the page too.
There might be some useful suggestions that you can use.

The Cat Site is a no de-claw site and would agree with your vet about not de-clawing Neka.
It it cruel and often leads to life long behavior problems.

RIP Spunky

I would love to see a photo of your girl if you have one....
if I can help you with any site issues just let me know...

cyndersmom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi and welcome to tcs, the chewing thing is normal you could get some plastic piping to wrap your cords in that might help. Cynder likes to chew but on people, when he was little he slept with a heating pad and one day i was just about to unplug it and he started chewing, well needless to say he go a little shock from it
and hasn't chewed on a cord since but i obviously don't recommend this
.. if you have any questions they will pretty well be answeared on one of these threads or posts.. please find a picture of neka so we can all see what she looks like.

my4llma

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I'm sorry Spunky died

Luna's always chewing on something, she drives me nuts sometimes

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

brandy-neka

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Here's a picture of her alone...

and here's a picture of her with me.

I can't figure out how to put it as my avatar or signature... From looking around I think I have to be a higher title then Kitten to do that...

meuzettesmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Welcome.

Time will heal all. There are people here who can help you.
Young cats can be a handful. I have one too. Mine plays too much. Thinks I am a Kitty too. But someday he won't want to and I will miss it.

cat person

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have an F3 Savannah (nonstandard red spotted) male. He is a little over a year old and still quite a handful indeed
. He is only a little calmer with age. He is very destructive. By that I mean braking house hold items.

But he is tame and as sweet as can be
. He is actually the tamest cat I have ever owned.

What generation is your cat? Who breed her? She looks like she came fro A1 Savannahs maybe
?

Lastly all the chewing and such behaviors are part of having a hybridized exotic cat. They are prone to pica (eating nonfood items). My cat has gotten better with this to a point, but they never out grow it completely in many cases.

catbehaviors

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hey there, welcome to TCS!
I'm sure you'll find all of your questions answered here. Your cat is gorgeous!
About signatures and avatars, you need to be a Super Cat to put it as your avatar- and that takes 700 posts and 3 months. Something around that at least...
I forgot now! You can actually have a signature now, which you can ask for in The Signature Shop. That's in TCS Support and Announcements. You can also make it yourself.

Once again, welcome!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

brandy-neka

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Cat Person

I have an F3 Savannah (nonstandard red spotted) male. He is a little over a year old and still quite a handful indeed
. He is only a little calmer with age. He is very destructive. By that I mean braking house hold items.

But he is tame and as sweet as can be
. He is actually the tamest cat I have ever owned.

What generation is your cat? Who breed her? She looks like she came fro A1 Savannahs maybe
?

Lastly all the chewing and such behaviors are part of having a hybridized exotic cat. They are prone to pica (eating nonfood items). My cat has gotten better with this to a point, but they never out grow it completely in many cases.
She is a sbt savannah... truthfully not sure of the generation but I think an F5 but she was in there sbt section so maybe not? And yes from A1 Savannahs. Whoever played with her the most there I thank them very much because from the moment I got her she has been a VERY affectionate cat

flisssweetpea

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi there
we're so happy to get the chance to welcome you and your gorgeous furfamily to TCS. I'm so sorry to hear about Spunky
I'm sure you'll enjoy your stay with us - we're one great big family and you'll find loads of friends here. If I can help at all while you're finding your way around TCS just click on my username and send me a Personal Message - I'll do what I can to answer your questions.

cat person

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Brandy-Neka

She is a sbt savannah... truthfully not sure of the generation but I think an F5 but she was in there sbt section so maybe not? And yes from A1 Savannahs. Whoever played with her the most there I thank them very much because from the moment I got her she has been a VERY affectionate cat
Yes SBT is F5 and lower. But as you can see, with only about three percent Serval blood, how different they are from the standard domestic cat.

I am glad she was well handled, as I could not imagine having a nervous hyperactive cat in my home. Sweet and hyperactive seems like plenty.