Hello! Large backpack cat carriers?

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi there! I have a new cat and he's quite large (or so it seems after Googling cat carriers!) at 19" to 22" long and ~17" high. Sorry I don't have more accurate measurements; he keeps trying to play with the measuring tape. I'm looking for a backpack carrier. However, even among the other soft carriers, the maximum size I found was about 17" long. Obviously that is well below 1.5x cat size (that Google search results said is recommended for a cat to be able to turn around comfortably in their carrier). The carrier I already have seems to be a bit small for him as he looked scrunched up in there. If anyone has any advice, that would be appreciated. Thank you. :)

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Years ago, when I got my first cat, I lived in a small apartment in the city. I didn't have a car so I got around town via subway. In order to take the cat to the vet, I used a regular, old backpack like college students use to carry their books around in. In fact, it was the backpack I used to carry my college books in. I just took everything out and cleaned it, well.

The cat didn't mind. He actually seemed to like it. He got to hang out with me while we went out to see the world. :)

I just left the zipper open a few inches so that he could get some air. Every so often, he'd pop his head out and meow at passers by.

I don't think you need to buy a special carrier for your cat if you can't find one you like. Just get whatever kind of backpack or knapsack that you think your cat will like to hang out in.

The first time I took my cat to the vet, I felt worried that I should have gone out and bought a special cat carrier but the vet said that, as long as the cat likes it, you can get whatever kind carrier you want.

The only thing that specially designed cat carriers have over regular backpacks is that they have better vent holes and some have windows for the cat to see out of. But, if you're handy enough, you could probably fix that up by sewing some mesh panels into a regular backpack. You could get a piece of thin plywood, cut to size, to make a sturdy floor for your cat to sit on, if you like.

That way, you could have your own, custom designed cat carrier for a lot less money than buying ready-made! :)

Feste

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We have three cats, varying in length. The Sherpa pet backpack has been by far the best we tried (you can get one on Amazon through their Warehouse used section for a decent price). It is roomy and sturdy, and it can be laid on the side like a regular carrier. When hiking, it hasn’t felt like our cats are “falling through” the bottom or the side is collapsing in upon the cats. I found my cats are fine turning around even if the carrier is just their length, as they are flexible, and they have always just curled up and slept on road trips.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Welcome to TCS! :wave3: I think whether you choose a backpack or cat carrier it's personal preference. For my cat(s) and me a comfortable carrier has always worked best. I put a soft fleece mat on the bottom so our cat can sleep or rest if he wants. Most vets prefer a carrier to be used when bringing your cat in for an exam too. I thought this TCS Article might be helpful for you:
5 Cat Carriers that Made It to the TCS Members' Hall of Fame! - TheCatSite

ParkourJuno

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello!
My daughter has a backpack carrier for her little girl. She's not very little, she's quite long.
It has the bubble window on the front and zipper panels as well as opening. I love it, she loves it and Adeline seems to do great in it! Mind you, Adeline hates to be restricted and I've watched her beat that carrier up trying to get out when she was only being secured, and it held up! It does have a Sherpa lined firm bottom. Super easy to transport with it! Not bulky, doesn't take up much space.
I don't think you have to worry much about space so long as it's for transport to the vet and back. Short trips. Not long commute or traveling or securing for longer period. However, that's my personal opinion after seeing the carrier with a good size kitty inside of it. ☺ Good luck!

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
For my late cat who was half Maine coon, I had to look at small dog carriers. He liked them to be a bit snug, so it is a bit up to the cat's preference. For long trips I would use a harness and leash so they could walk around the backseat of the car when pulled over. Or sometimes when we were going if the driver didn't mind.