Hello guys

inudemon

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello there!

I am Dustin, 28 years of age, live in IL, and am seeking to adopt a cat from an animal rescue or shelter. I am currently in the process of adopting an adult cat female. :)

I've been a dog lover for years, and slowly have started to love cats and open to trying out the cat life. I need my parents permission to adopt one of the cats I wanna adopt alongside reference approval.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
fd7445a8082591feec2da4bf0c2396de.gif
Dustin, on behalf of The Catsite community, a warm
graphics-welcome-676454.gif
to you.

So glad that you’ve joined this site and you are in the right place for all things cat and this site is loaded with tons of rich resources and you’ll find friendly and helpful cats around and many of our cats are very knowledgeable in cat related stuffs.

Thank you for considering in the adoption of a kitty from the shelter as this will give a kitty a new lease of life in a warm and fur-ever loving home :clapcat:

Hope that your parents will give you the approval of adopting the cat that you like. Do post photo of your new kitty once you are able to bring her home.

Since this is going to be your first time owning a cat, do read the articles below on taking care of a cat.

New Here? I Have A Few Suggestions For You!
Community Guidelines & Practices - Frequently Asked Questions
Forum Rules

bringing-home-a-new-cat-the-complete-guide.29657
first-time-cat-owners-guide.33669
how-to-help-a-new-cat-adjust-to-your-home.32804
common-foods-that-are-harmful-to-cats.30181
household-chemicals-and-your-cats.29641
first-aid-for-cats.22464
cats-lilies-avoid-the-danger-lurking-in-your-home.33397
the-litterbox-what-every-cat-owner-needs-to-know.33457
how-to-choose-the-right-litterbox.32515

Feel free to ask questions if you have any and start a new thread of your own and post them under the appropriate forum headings and do check out the many informative articles we have here in Articles | The Cat Site and don't forget to subscribe to our Newsletter :- newsletter-subscription-tutorial.33873 to stay informed of what goes on in TCS!

Enjoy your stay and see ya around :wink:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

inudemon

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Enjoy your stay and see ya around :wink:
Thank you! We also have two dogs here, but the animal rescue/shelter is more of a foster org where the animals are fostered in homes and not stuck in a cage all day and night. The petfinder page claims the kitty is good around children, other cats, and of course dogs. I have read slowly introducing the cat with my dogs maybe best. I plan to keep kitty in my room for the first 2 days or so, and then let her move around another space of the home.

If the cat is truly good around dogs and my dogs behave I'd feel super relived. I plan to still supervise the cat and dogs when together even when they all get used to each other, though.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Thank you! We also have two dogs here, but the animal rescue/shelter is more of a foster org where the animals are fostered in homes and not stuck in a cage all day and night. The petfinder page claims the kitty is good around children, other cats, and of course dogs. I have read slowly introducing the cat with my dogs maybe best. I plan to keep kitty in my room for the first 2 days or so, and then let her move around another space of the home.

If the cat is truly good around dogs and my dogs behave I'd feel super relived. I plan to still supervise the cat and dogs when together even when they all get used to each other, though.
Yes, cats should not be caged up. Some cats get along well with dogs. Bringing home a new kitty takes some time for the kitty to get used to the new environment. Best is to keep the kitty in a safe room for a period of time and slowly let the kitty do the exploration of the house to get use to the new sights and sounds. Cats are very much different from dogs and that's why it's a good practice to let the cat do things on their terms and not ours and that'll be a smoother transition.

Don't worry, you are not alone here as we have many experienced cat daddy and cat mummy here who are will to help you out. So if you have any questions, feel free to ask and start a new thread post them under the appropriate forum headings as many many frequent more of those forums and may be able to help you answer your questions and remember, there's no such thing as a stupid question here. We'll be glad to help out.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. :wave2: How exciting to be planning the adoption of a cat. Good luck. Hope you find the purrfect kitty. :petcat:

Since you already have dogs, I'll post the TCS articles on cat and dog introductions:
How To Safely Introduce A Cat And A Dog

Elphaba09

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello and welcome! I think it is sweet that you are planning to adopt a cat, especially an adult cat. I, personally, do not have any dogs, but my friend has two dogs and seven cats, while my neighbor has three dogs and four cats. They have not had any issues. My cat Simon, the oldest of my nine, does beat up dogs, so he would not be okay around them. Haha!

Anyway, when you get her post a picture!

inudemon

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello and welcome! I think it is sweet that you are planning to adopt a cat, especially an adult cat. I, personally, do not have any dogs, but my friend has two dogs and seven cats, while my neighbor has three dogs and four cats. They have not had any issues. My cat Simon, the oldest of my nine, does beat up dogs, so he would not be okay around them. Haha!

Anyway, when you get her post a picture!
I have read that people go for the kittens of course, and adopting an adult cat or even a senior cat sounds like my style. I don't wanna deal with the kitten phase or teenage phase of a cat haha. I think only one of my sisters dogs I'd be worried about around a cat unsupervised, but the other maybe ok with them. I like girl animals better than boy animals for some reason. They just seem way calmer at times and nicer.

Elphaba09

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have read that people go for the kittens of course, and adopting an adult cat or even a senior cat sounds like my style. I don't wanna deal with the kitten phase or teenage phase of a cat haha. I think only one of my sisters dogs I'd be worried about around a cat unsupervised, but the other maybe ok with them. I like girl animals better than boy animals for some reason. They just seem way calmer at times and nicer.
I have adopted kittens, teenage cats, and "elderly" cats. They are all a joy, but I completely understand not wanting to deal with the kitten stage. The girls being calmer and/or nicer, I cannot exactly concur based on my current cats! Haha! From most calm to least: Fennimore (7), Simon (16), Evangeline (11), Willow (7), Estella (8), Astrid (8), Freya (5), Tara (8), and Silas (almost 2). The one with the most attitude? Estella. She is a brat. An adorable, sweet brat! Astrid is the most demanding of attention, although, when Fennimore wants my attention, nothing can stop him from getting to me! Silas is the most curious and brings out the kitten in all the other cats. Tara is a former stalker of the other cats and is a bit of a spaz. It took us four years to calm Freya, but that is because she was a feral. She is calm but not exactly friendly to anyone except my husband and my daughter.

kittycatinthehat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello. That is awesome and very exciting :D. I also adopted an adult female cat. You get to both give an animal a new home and get a wonder best friend. Good luck!

inudemon

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My parents said no to me getting a cat, sadly. They also didn't like I didn't speak to them first. I sent my dad a text message and he thought I was joking. My parents don't like cats.

I told them I was gonna take care of her and such, and they expressed that my sisters dogs may not get along well with the cat. She lives at home with me and my parents too. My dad said maybe if the cat was the only animal he'd let me try it out. The place I was gonna get her from had a 14 day no fault thing so if it didn't work out I'd get a refund etc. I paid for her fee already too and they're refunding me!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm so sorry that it didn't work out, but stick around and enjoy the cats here! There may be another cat in your future at some point.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Sorry the adoption didn't work out. Hopefully in time you'll be able to adopt a cat. Meanwhile, purrhaps look into volunteering at an animal shelter so you can spend time around cats and get your feline fix. :petcat:

inudemon

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sorry the adoption didn't work out. Hopefully in time you'll be able to adopt a cat. Meanwhile, purrhaps look into volunteering at an animal shelter so you can spend time around cats and get your feline fix. :petcat:
I plan on doing that and socializing and taking care of the cats!

bella.cat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello!
:welcomesign: to the forum!
Its very nice of you to want to adopt from a shelter, I'm so sorry it didn't work out.
Hopefully you find somewhere to volunteer :)

game misconduct

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

will take time your gonna need to teach your dogs to not chase when/if the cat runs its their instinct to do so once the cat is part of the pack they should be okay together. make sure the cat has a good tree to get up high away from the dogs to if it wants