Hello From Speck And Pixie

Mad_Jasper

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm excited to be here. 26 years ago, I disliked cats (not to the point of mistreating them) but I never thought I'd own one.

Aside from my 19-year-old daughter, the best thing my first wife (of many wives) gave me was an appreciation and love of cats.

A week after we married in 1993, she insisted on a cat and it had to be a certain male Persian at our local pet store. He did get my attention in that he would only eat by picking up his food with his paw. He was white with a red tinge that started at his brow and ended at the tip of his tail. The red furrowed brow always made him look mad, but he was a loyal friend. We named him Jasper. Hence my name, Mad Jasper.

Long story short, When Jasper passed in 2005, we found Jinx. He was a white Exotic Shorthair (Longest hair ever). He was my daughter's cat. He was the most tolerant cat a 5-year-old could ask for. And he remained that way until he passed on May 29th, 2019. I have a tribute video that I will post at a later, more appropriate time.

I just realized this was still a long story and I haven't even got to Speck and Pixie.

Anyway, in June of 2017... 12-year-old Jinx was still thriving as an only cat. I randomly told my third (and final) wife that if we ever get a cat again, I want it to be a rescue. Little did I know the next day while on a beer run following a severe thunderstorm, I would get that opportunity.

I was approaching the beer store while talking to my dad. It was still raining pretty hard, windows up and conversation over Bluetooth, and still I heard a bloodcurdling sound outside. It caught my attention... and I noticed the tiniest of black specks lying in the middle of the road ahead of me. I stopped the truck to check it out and it was a tiny black kitten, crying for help. The road was covered with water and he was barely holding his head above it. He was so tiny and weak. And I am tearing up just typing this.

I brought him home (after I picked up a 6-pack). He gave me a wicked staph infection on my hand. But a little over 2 years later that .4lb speck is a 16lb amazing Speck. And a member of the family.

So back to the first wife. She married a great guy that I consider a close friend. He has been an amazing step-father to my daughter and I hope that we both walk her down the aisle someday. She loves cats and has 2 1/2 inside cats and a colony of ferals that she spays/neuters/feeds.

One of these cats (actually a 12-week-old kitten) turned out to be very approachable and lovable. She developed a respiratory infection and was brought inside for treatment. But they couldn't keep her. While hanging out one night, she showed the kitten to me. A week later, Pixie is doing wonderfully and is part of the family.

Jinx never really embraced Speck. He was tolerant, but that was about it. Speck has been the best big brother to Pixie. They play, that chatter, she feels safe with him. While he is a bit of a rambunctious ahole, she is as sweet as they come. And they fit in so well together.

And I work from home almost every day so ultimately, the joy is mine.

Attachments

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
205484_34a50.gif
Mad_Jasper, Speck and Pixie, on behalf of The Catsite community, a warm
27fcc15df3fba68a2a4b868777fc711c.jpg
to you all.

So glad that you’ve joined this wonderful site and you are in the right place for all things cat and this site is loaded with tons of rich resources and you’ll find friendly and helpful cats around and many of our cats are very knowledgeable in cat related stuffs.

We are so sorry to hear about Jasper and Jinx :alright: but we are glad and thank you that you adopted Pixie and rescued Speck and for giving them a warm and fur-ever loving home and a safe sanctuary for them to live out their lives :clapcat:
I know what you meant by tearing up as you write this post as my boy is also a rescue too.

New Here? I Have A Few Suggestions For You!
Community Guidelines & Practices - Frequently Asked Questions
Forum Rules

Feel free to ask questions if you have any and start a new thread of your own and post them under the appropriate forum headings and do check out the many informative articles we have here in Articles | The Cat Site and don't forget to subscribe to our Newsletter :- newsletter-subscription-tutorial.33873 to stay informed of what goes on in TCS!

Enjoy your stay and see ya around :wink:

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. :wave2:
Beautiful story about how you became a cat purr-son. :petcat:
Looking forward to hearing more about Speck and Pixie. :catlove:

Jasper and Jinx sound like they were lovely cats. We have a Crossing the Bridge forum, if you would like to post a tribute to them. RIP sweet kitties. :angel::angel:

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Welcome to you, Speck, Pixie, and to Jasper and Jinx, who join us in spirit! I'm very partial to calicos and torties, AND to black cats, so you pushed all of my kitty buttons at once here! LOVELY fur family, sir!

I have to ask, did Speck learn about "inside voices?" As tiny as he was, he must have had phenomenal lungs! THANK YOU for stopping for him!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mad_Jasper

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you all for the warm welcome! I look forward to sharing cat tales for many years to come!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mad_Jasper

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Welcome to you, Speck, Pixie, and to Jasper and Jinx, who join us in spirit! I'm very partial to calicos and torties, AND to black cats, so you pushed all of my kitty buttons at once here! LOVELY fur family, sir!

I have to ask, did Speck learn about "inside voices?" As tiny as he was, he must have had phenomenal lungs! THANK YOU for stopping for him!

Yes! For such a big boy Speck has the softest meow that you have ever heard. We actually laugh at him quite a bit. Most of his vocalizations are chirpy sounds. When he is really playful, he almost barks. However, and it doesn't happen often, but when now and again when we are sleeping he will let out the loudest yowls you have ever heard. The whole house runs to check on him. He is usually just sitting on my work chair or the dryer or something...

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Welcome to TCS! You have such gorgeous kittie. I love the big, yellow eyes!