Hello from Minnesota

Crabbysquatch

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I moved from the twin cities to a rural area about an hour north of there a few years ago. We already have 2 senior cats ( Goldie and Callie ) that we keep inside at all times. Unfortunately we are surrounded by farms that I assume have lots of unfixed barn cats because at any time I have at least one or two strays/feral cats living in our outbuildings. Of course we are big suckers and put food out and built them shelters with hay so at one time we had a dozen or more hanging out.
We lost Goldie to old age not long after moving and I had befriended a feral kitten that started following me around and crying when I left so I had no choice but to kidnap her and bring her inside. The new kitten ( Emi ) and Callie the old grumpy tortie didn’t get along so what were we to do but get another cat from a rescue so Emi had a friend. This worked out pretty well. The rescue cat ( Minnie ) and Emi got along great and Callie is just fine being alone and not bothered with kitten energy.
A year ago one of our more frequent strays that was super friendly ended up in our barn looking very sick and not moving much at all. We called him Happy because he always seemed very happy to see us. We tried to bring him in before this but after an hour of wandering around he decided he wanted back out and was willing to destroy the house to do it. Anyways, we couldn’t let Happy just die in the barn ( it was late winter and bitter cold ). So we brought him to the vet. Happy only weighed 5lbs and had a bad upper respiratory infection. But what was worse is that He was actually a she and was very knocked up. Long story short we nursed her back to health in a heated room in the barn until she popped out two little black kittens. We brought all 3 in the house and locked them in a bedroom so we could keep an eye on them better. Happy never got along with Emi or Minnie so we gave her to a friend and she is living te high life. We kept the two kittens ( Odie and Puca ). And they have grown into the holy terrors only year old cats can achieve.
That’s 5 cats Callie 16. Emi 2 Minnie 2 Odie and Puca 1.
And that brings us to today. Another stray/feral cat had kittens in our barn. A small tuxedo mom and 3 black and white spotted cow looking kittens. She moved them 3-4 times as I kept my eye on them so I could catch the kittens and get them to a shelter or find homes for them. The kittens had bad crusty eyes when we finally were able to get close to them so we cleaned them off whenever we could. About 3 weeks ago I found one of them wandering around in circles blind meowing for the mom so I took her inside. She now lives inside as a foster fail. The mom and two other kittens are living in our big barn. I’m currently working on catching the kittens and after that trapping the mom and gettin her fixed.
That’s a short story of my cat experience the past 3 years or so.

DeesCats

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Welcome to TCS Crabbysquatch Crabbysquatch ! It's wonderful to hear of your efforts to bring the unwanted cats/kittens in to your home and give them the love they need.

Do you have a local rescue or TNR group that might be able to help you out with getting as many cats spayed/neutered at a reduced cost?

It's also great that you were able to rehome at least a couple of them to indoor homes.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Crabbysquatch

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It’s pretty tough around here right now to get cats in a rescue. It’s much easier to get them to accept kittens though so I have hope there. We haven’t found any programs or anything yet to help with the spaying of the mom. I’m afraid she is already knocked up again. The dad cat ( he is white with a black tail so it’s obvious it’s him ) has been around a lot. Maybe I’ll start my own rescue. Lol

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
PreciousPetsCatsHello.gif
Crabbysquatch, Callie. Emi, Minnie, Odie and Puca and on behalf of The Catsite community, a warm
27fcc15df3fba68a2a4b868777fc711c.jpg
to all of you.

So glad that you’ve joined this wonderful site and you are in the right place for all things cat and this site is loaded with tons of rich resources and you’ll find friendly and helpful cats around and many of our cats are very knowledgeable in cat related stuffs.

We are so sorry to hear about Goldie :alright: You may want to pay a tribute to Goldie and you may do so here in crossing-the-bridge.19

Do post photos of your kitties for us to see! :camera::camera::camera:

New Here? I Have A Few Suggestions For You!
How To Add A Picture To Your Forum Post
Community Guidelines & Practices - Frequently Asked Questions
Forum Rules

Feel free to ask questions if you have any and start a new thread of your own and post them under the appropriate forums and do check out the many informative articles we have here in Articles | The Cat Site

Enjoy your stay and see ya around :thumbsup:

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow what a story. You are doing yeoman’s (woman’s?) work and I am glad there is a “we” going on here; it sounds as if you might have an extra pair of hands. My first thought: befriend all the other people with barns, if you haven’t already, and set up some sort of TNR support system. Hopefully there are others who feel as you do about kitties and can help stem the tide. Thank you for all you do—those winters can be brutal. ….Remember to take care of yourself, too! 🐾

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
It’s pretty tough around here right now to get cats in a rescue. It’s much easier to get them to accept kittens though so I have hope there. We haven’t found any programs or anything yet to help with the spaying of the mom. I’m afraid she is already knocked up again. The dad cat ( he is white with a black tail so it’s obvious it’s him ) has been around a lot. Maybe I’ll start my own rescue. Lol
I’m trying to think up a good acronym for your new rescue program. It ought to be “B.A.R.N.S” only I can’t think what the B is. (“Better Alternatives Rescue & Neuter Society?” Or “Beneficent Association for Rescue, Neuter and Spay?”). 🙂

Last edited:

Crabbysquatch

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Just caught another of the kittens. I feel terrible because I saw how good the mom cat was but I know the kitten will live a much longer better life with a human. I pray to god we don’t foster fail this one too. We can’t afford anymore cats in the house. It’s amazing how much smaller it is compared to its sibling we have had for 3 weeks now. 2 down and one to go and the mom.

thanks for the welcoming words.

Crabbysquatch

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Is there a place I can post my YouTube channel ? It has lots of videos of my cats and the strays that have been around. I had an idea of posting videos of the kittens that I need to get homes for.

Crabbysquatch

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Is there a place I can post my YouTube channel ? It has lots of videos of my cats and the strays that have been around. I had an idea of posting videos of the kittens that I need to get homes for.
Just read the rules. Never mind. It just seemed so much easier that way.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
A BIG welcome to you, Callie, Emi, Minnie, Odie and Puca, and to Goldie, who joins us in spirit! I am so thrilled that you are such an advocate for barn and feral cats, who are all too often neglected. Thank you for all you have done, and continue to do!

Crabbysquatch

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
A BIG welcome to you, Callie, Emi, Minnie, Odie and Puca, and to Goldie, who joins us in spirit! I am so thrilled that you are such an advocate for barn and feral cats, who are all too often neglected. Thank you for all you have done, and continue to do!
Cats are awesome no matter if they are purebred test tube babies or born in a barn under a pile of leaves. The only downside is when we first moved in we had a blast feeding and befriending all the chipmunks. Now I haven’t seen one In two summers.

Crabbysquatch

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Finally caught the 3rd and final kitten :hyper: The little bugger sure was tricky to catch. I think the mom is knocked up again because she started hissing at the kitten when it would try and get too friendly. I’ll post some pictures when the kitten calms down some. It’s still pretty scared and thinks I’m a giant monster trying to eat it. It’s completely white with a black mask on its face and a black tail.