Hello from Linden and Lucy

JocelynJ

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone, I’m new to TCS. I have a 13 year old Linden, and a new furball named Lucy. Earlier this year, my 21 year old Missy passed away. Linden was bonded to her. We went through the grieving process and our vet felt it was a good time to try a new addition. Linden was demonstrating loneliness when I went out (I have a security camera inside and he’d wait on the stairs by the front door, not typical behaviour for him). So 10 days ago I adopted Lucy. It’s not going well. I’ve followed the steps for introduction (separate rooms, exchanging scented linen, limited viewing) but Linden still can’t handle the sight of her (hissing and moaning). He hides and decreased appetite, he’s had some messy pooping accidents. He’s usually very clingy but now not so much. I try to expose Lucy to Linden in small amounts (behind baby gate or new cat in kennel). I’ve tried treats or playful activity around the new cat but he’s not engaging, he retreats, hisses and hides. We have Feliway. He gets lots of attention and kept His routine. I know this can be a long process. 💔 I miss my Linden and his wonderful personality (kind, talkative, cuddly). Any advice or words of encouragement would be welcomed. Thank you.

Attachments

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Welcome to you and Linden and Lucy! What lovely cats they are!

I will tell you that 10 days is practically NO time at all in cat introductions, and you probably just rushed things a bit. I'd suggest making a post in our Cat Behavior forum, describe what you have done and what the cats are doing as fully as possible. We have LOTS of members who have LOTS of experience in introducing cats. I will tell you that time and patience are your best friends! Regardless, you aren't facing this problem alone anymore, you have a community behind you!

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
afacd132c529eacb77ece9123a8eb190.gif
JocelynJ, Linden and Lucy, on behalf of The Catsite community, a warm
c9cc88943ccb39ca68a4496df5dae4ea.jpg
to all of you.

So glad that you’ve joined this wonderful site and you are in the right place for all things cat and this site is loaded with tons of rich resources and you’ll find friendly and helpful cats around and many of our cats are very knowledgeable in cat related stuffs.

Linden and Lucy are beautiful! :hearthrob: :redheartpump: Do post more photos of them and we have a special thread here just for them in bi-color-kitties-only.85808 and show-me-your-stripes-and-spots-tabby-cats-only.347378

We are so
IMG_3272.GIF
to hear about Missy's passing:alright:. You may want to pay a tribute to her here in crossing-the-bridge.19

New Here? I Have A Few Suggestions For You!
Community Guidelines & Practices - Frequently Asked Questions
Forum Rules

Feel free to ask questions if you have any and start a new thread of your own and post them under the appropriate forums and do check out the many informative articles we have here in Articles | The Cat Site

Enjoy your stay and see ya around :wink:

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. :wave2: Linden and Lucy are cutie pies. Hopefully in time they'll become best buds. :catlove:

Condolences on the loss of your kitty, Missy. RIP sweet girl. :angel:

Tik cat's mum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:welcomesign:to you and Linden and Lucy. Who are adorable I must say. The only advice I have is take it slowly and it will be worth the wait. It's still early day's.

tyleete

Queen of the Crazy
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Welcome! As stated above, it can definitely take longer. I've had one that took a full 3mo (he was an outside feral) to fully become a part of the family. He was so scared, and when dominant cats feel weakness, they pounce.:/
I tend to say this wherever I can, but look into cbd for your cat. Most is THC-free, which means no 'high'. But it can help I several things here. 1- Anxiety! I've an elderly (17) cat that has Cancer and used to only stay in this one room reserved for her. It was open, but I wouldn't allow others in it. Due to her Cancer, I researched it and them we tried it. She is now out Every day! Just hanging out with us in the open. She no longer throws up (she's on chemo meds but since this, no longer Prednisolone), and it's increased get appetite. The whole 'munchies' thing.😄 So perhaps it can help your sweet baby too. For her, I use Lazarus's Salmon oil and tincture. The bottle that's 30ml/600mg. It's been a miracle thing for us. She takes only 9 drops twice a day and I mix it in her food. But She had to work her way up to that slowly.
Best of luck!