Hello From Italy And Question For A New Cat

Flavio

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello everyone, i am Flavio from Italy.

I have been reading this forum for a while and have some questions for you experts. I apologize in advance for my english, i have some language difficoulties but i am trying to improve myself.

Since two months i own Oliver, a beautiful ragdoll cat 5 months old.
The moment i took this cat i already knew i wanted to buy another one, so they could keep company each other, when me and my wife are at work. I guess it would be obvious to get another ragdoll so that they could get along, having the same temper.

However i must confess i want to get it for myself as well, so i would really like to take a different cat. Ragdolls are very calm and composed cats, they sleep a lot but follow you everywhere and love cuddles. Now i would look for a cat a bit more spry and lively, who likes to play and at same time who get really affectionate to its owners and love cuddling.

So my questions are: do you know a kind of cat like this? Do you think even being that different it could get along with a ragdoll?

One of my favourite (esthetically speaking) is bengal cat, do you think temperamentally it could match the cat i am seaking? I also read somewhere that siamese cats are very playful and love their owner, maybe siamese is more appropriate to live with a ragdoll?

Sorry for this long post! I'll be looking forward for your advices!
Bye!

dahli6

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
IMG_20170909_091054_427[1].jpg

Russian Blue are very sweet and personable. They seem willing to get along with anyone who is willing to get along with them. Usually very gentle but also playful.
IMG_20170912_091424[1].jpg

Occasionally they are coming in white.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Hello Flavio, on behalf of The Catsite community, a warm
IMG_3133.GIF
to you and your kitty.

Glad that you've decided to join the site and feel free to ask questions and post them under the appropriate forum and do check out the many informative articles in the Articles section and and do post photos of Oliver for us to see.

It's best to get another cat if you are really getting, get one that matches the character and activity level of your current cat. Otherwise, the more active one will wear out the other and when you are not home. And Bengals are high energy cats that needs lots of space and activities.

Anyway, some members with such experiences maybe able to help you with this. So hang on for awhile and in the meantime, enjoy your stay and see ya around :wink:

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Welcome to TCS!
It's best if you can choose a cat whose personality matches your current cat. Bengals are very energetic, and would overwhelm a Ragdoll. If you really have your heart set on a Bengal, I'd suggest getting two of them, that way the Bengals can play with each other while your Ragdoll relaxes. Another breed I think you might like is the American Shorthair. These cats are bred to have bold patterns, like Bengals. They have a calmer personality (not as much as the Ragdoll, but certainly not as energetic as a Bengal), but having descended from the "working cats", ASH love chasing toys around so that they can "hunt", so they'll play with you energetically, but then be relaxed enough to chill with your Ragdoll.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Flavio

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello guys, thanks for answering! I will reply to all messages in a single post if it is ok!

dahli6 dahli6 : i didn't know this russian blue, i did some research and it actually looks like a very sweet cat and it's cute!! It would get along with a ragdoll for sure! Yet it seems a bit shy, is it right or just my impression?

tabbytom tabbytom : you are right, it would be better to take a cat that machtes the character of my ragdoll, maybe at the end i will go for another ragdoll, but i have to admit i'd like to find a compromise. Anyway as I thought bengal is too active and i don't want to force two cats so different to live togheter.

abyeb abyeb : Bengal is a cat i loved right away, like ragdoll, also being very different each other. But actually i must admit it is difficult to make them live togheter and take two bengal would be inappropriate since i live in apartment, not a small one, but still an apartment. Two bengals togheter wouldn't have enough space i think.
I will consider the American shortair, it looks cute and clever! Thanks

Any of you have ever experienced a siamese cat? I also like this one, it seems playful and active but not like a bengal.

At great demand a picture of my little Oliver :D :D

Oliver.jpg

dahli6

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oliver so sweet!
All of my Russian Blue and Russian Blue mixes are calm but curious. They love to be petted and cuddled and they are very smart. They have charming personalities that induce a good relationship with anyone.
I have had a Siamese and my Great Grandmother kept a Siamese. They are very loyal, spirited, and demanding. It is hard to ignore the demands of a Siamese cat.

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Oliver is so cute! I do think you'd have better luck integrating a Siamese with him than a Bengal. Can you visit a cat show to see the breeds you're interested in?