Hello from Fl!! New kitty (and ??)

shelbynkatie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I just wanted to say hello. I have visited the site for a while, but just signed up.I have 3 kids and crew of 'unwanted' or craigslist 'must go now' pets.We are in LOVE with our first kitten, black and white girl, my 5 year old son named Katie Kitty. She is indoors only, and I am searching for a program to help her get spayed.I basically saved her just in time. She was ON THE WAY to the local animal control, very high kill. Anyways, I think I'll head over to the kitten or nutrition area for my other questions. Where would I post for info on who/where to get fixed?Even the low cost clinic is out of my budget right now.....Thank you kindly.... Tabby and the Crew...

tobilei

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi and welcome to the forum :) I'm no help with low cost spaying as I'm in another country but hopefully someone else has some ideas for you!

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Welcome!!!! I would ask the local vet,you never know, they might volunteer, or at the least let you make payments. Or get on the internet for low cost spays in your area. Ask at your local Humane society, even that shelter, they would be happy to stop all those unwanted kittens.  Spaying should be your TOP priority before she turns into a nuisance with that constant meowing, trying to dash outside and possibly getting pregnant and then all those kittens to find homes for. Remember, cats are not like dogs, they cycle almost constantly until they do get pregnant. Bless you for giving her a home, you have a big heart and will be rewarded for it with a sweet companion who will bring you years of pleasure, all the luck!

Gaven Kent

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The PDSA are the one charity I donate to. They are amazing. They treated my mums black Labrador Lucy for 5 years. She had diabetes and developed cataracts. She was 11 when diagnosed. Surgery to temive the cataracts wasn't practical due to her age. She needed daily insulin injections. Initially she was very ill and was in the hospital for two weeks. It would have cost thousands. My mum received housing benefit for her council house and that qualifies you for free treatment at the PDSA. In fact that's the main requirement to get registered. You can make a donation of what you can afford. I was going to give my mum my savings to pay for the treatment but the PDSA took her on. It was amazing. Their love and care for the animals they treat shows that the staff are passionate and commited. We would give what we could whenever Lucy went there. Mum would aim to give at least half of what it cost. I've seen people there who arrive in brand new Range Rovers, get thousands of pounds of treatment and leave nothing as a donation. I'm not judging but the system is open to abuse. My mum died suddenly and Lucy was registered there in mums name. They let me take over Lucy's treatment even though I didn't qualify for it. Atvthatbtime I couldn't afford the cost as it was a lot every two weeks and my savings were wiped out in funeral costs. I would make a donation if I had it or pay something later after payday. They treated Lucy better than the expensive vets I've been to over the years. A staff member even brought her back to me in a taxi after a day long observation. She wouldn't take the taxi fare and said Lucy was a pleasure to look after. Six months after mum died Lucy turned 15. She was happy but you could see she was reaching the end of her life. I took her in for a check up and to get her new insulin. The vet explained that Lucy's body was slowly giving up. The insulin dose was rising and her quality of life was starting to be affected. There were times when I worried that she was in pain. I was told that I needed to start thinking about what to do so that she didn't suffer. Putting an animal to sleep is something I've had to do only once before and it destroyed me but I couldn't allow a much loved friend to suffer. She said go home and think about it over the weekend and being her in Monday for another check up. That afternoon Lucy spent the day in the garden and did all her favourite things and relaxed in her favourite places. She was much more affectionate than usual and she was an affectionate dog. She spent some time with me and my dad and that evening she later down in her basket and drifted off to sleep. An hour later I went to see her and she was gone. We were so sad but thankful that she hasn't suffered and that we hadn't had to make that decision. Lucy's life would have been very different without the care and love from the PDSA. They allowed us to have a dog live until she was 15 years old and had given so much to the family. I'm sure we would have managed somehow to get the money for the treatment had the PDSA not taken her on but I know that our family would have struggled as it totalled about £15000 over 4 years, countless visits, overnight and longer stays and daily insulin injections.
As far as I'm aware you must be in receipt of UK Housing Benefit to qualify for treatment. I'm not sure how other benefits work so check it out. They are amazing and I know it's a long post but the story deserves telling due to their commitment to their work. Again check their website as things may have changed since I used their service. If you can visit their charity shops, buy something and donate while you're there.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Hello shelbyand katie, welcome to TCS :wave3:

Glad that you've decided to join us. There are many good stuffs here on cats and do browse around and feel free to ask questions.

Please post photos of your kitties for us to see :wink:

Gaven Kent

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
image.jpeg

Hugo covering the clean bedding in medium haired tabby fur. Not quite sure which end is which! That's about half the bed gone!

Gaven Kent

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Also forget to send greetings from London so hi! Haven't been online since Thursday as have been working and yesterday was a Bank Holiday in the UK so the one day where my partner and I are both off work at the same time. It rained on and off all day as it has done in every Bank Holiday that I can remember. Both cats were furious as if we had caused it!

Gaven Kent

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
image.jpeg

Hugo the social media savvy Tabby showing that he does indeed have the biggest jaws of all! Courtesy of Webbox Salmon and Trout Chewstick. They are slightly more expensive than the supermarket own brand so they have them as a treat and both cats adore them. Not sure how much salmon and trout is in them but they love them