Hello From A Stressed New Cat Owner!

solowars

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi, I’ve posted a little here but never really introduced myself! I adopted my girl Hammy (aged 3) from a rescue foster last September and she’s generally a gentle and affectionate girl who only gets vicious towards her toys at playtime :)

However, she was sick in December with fever and scratches and while she is is all healed up now and acting completely normal, I find that I am now constantly worried for her health and noticing a billion things about her that *could* be something wrong. It is really stressing me out that I’m thinking about calling or taking her to the vet for just about everything, even though she is sleeping/playing/eating/drinking/pooping/urinating normally. For example, I notice her drinking a little bit more water once I changed to a water fountain and I’m wondering if she has kidney issues. She starts blinking one eye a little more and I’m suddenly worried about an eye infection. Recently I’ve been wondering if her breathing is fast even though I’m pretty sure she’s always breathed this way in the past and I’m freaked out about the possibility of heart failure. This is also in the context of her just having gotten a full blood test and full body x-ray just in Dec at the vets so I’m sure they would have noticed anything seriously wrong then, so I myself am aware this is needless panic.

I don’t want to take her to the vet unnecessarily since it’s expensive and stresses her out, I just don’t know how to deal with all my worries in a healthy way right now. It doesn’t help that I live alone so it’s my sole responsibility to care for my cat and recently I’ve been overwhelmed and I think she gets anxious when I’m anxious, which just reinforces my constant fear that she is ill. So sorry about this rant on an intro board, everyone here has been so helpful and I really needed to get it off my chest somehow.

Attachments

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
graphics-hello-317403.jpg
solowars and Hammy, on behalf of The Catsite community, a belated
Welcome-Cat-Flowers-Animated-welcome_127.gif
to both of you.

Thank you for adopting Hammy and for giving her a warm and fur-ever loving home :clapcat:

Glad that Hammy is much better now. As long as her daily activities are normal, guess is that you don't have to worry's much. Just take one day at a time and don't be to anxious over her health.
It could be maybe something just irritated her eyes and she's doing the blinking stuff to ease the discomfort for that moment. Since the vet gave her a clean bill of health, and as you said, it's a needless panic.

Just do some observation and if in doubt, give the vet a call and check with them.

Relax and see ya around the site :thumbsup:

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Welcome to TCS! We’re glad to have you here! Hammy is so pretty!

Regarding your question about knowing when to take her to the vet, I can definitely understand where you’re coming from, we just want the best for our furbabies, so it’s natural to worry when something seems “off”. Cats should always have once-a-year check ups, just to make sure that everything is ok.

These articles have some guidelines for occasions when you need to see an emergency vet:

11 Cat Emergencies That Need Immediate Vet Attention

When to Call an Emergency Vet, and How to Find One for Your Cat | Catster

For non-emergency situations, what I’ve done in the past, is to start a thread here on TCS. That way, you can get the help of many experienced cat owners, who may have seen something similar with their own cats.

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello there, Hammy! Welcome to TCS! What a pretty nugget you are! Such a gorgeous one!

S solowars , stop stressing yourself although I can fully understand why it is so, since I also tend to be like you at most times. Based on your info, she seems fine. You got good advice here from our TCS family members. So, relax and enjoy (I also tell that to myself at times. LOL.)

Hugs from me to the both of you.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

solowars

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you everyone for the replies! This site has already been a wonderful help to me, with so many kind and experienced cat owners offering me advice and comfort! :rock:

I tend to be a huge overthinker about certain things in my life, and my dear cat seems to be the focus of all my bad overthinking habits at the moment. I will definitely talk to her previous foster (who has rescued many cats) or ask on the site if I'm terribly unsure about Hammy (or call the vet if I really cant get peace of mind), and try not to stress so much in the meantime.

Hammy's story is a bit of a sad one, as she was found abandoned in a drain with her two siblings early last year (she was clearly a house cat before then). Her siblings (one black, one white) did not make it, and she was with a foster for many months before I adopted her. She was almost adopted in July 2018, months before I even saw her, but the potential adopters apparently walked away from the visit with another cat they fell in love with at first sight.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. :wave2: Hammy is paws-itively gorgeous. :catlove:

For example, I notice her drinking a little bit more water once I changed to a water fountain and I’m wondering if she has kidney issues.
Maybe that just means she LOVES the water fountain you bought her. :hearthrob:

even though she is sleeping/playing/eating/drinking/pooping/urinating normally.
Those all all the things to watch for, so if normal, that's a good thing. :cheerleader:

I tend to be a huge overthinker about certain things in my life, and my dear cat seems to be the focus of all my bad overthinking habits at the moment.
I'm a huge over-thinker too, so I have an idea how you're feeling. Plus, it is hard being a single cat parent. :petcat:

She was almost adopted in July 2018, months before I even saw her, but the potential adopters apparently walked away from the visit with another cat they fell in love with at first sight.
I can't believe they didn't fall in love with the gorgeous Hammy at first sight, but I guess that's because she needed you to come and adopt her. :catlove:

or ask on the site if I'm terribly unsure about Hammy (or call the vet if I really cant get peace of mind), and try not to stress so much in the meantime.
I'm glad you've found us, so you can ask for advice/opinions on any cnoncern you may have about Hammy. And, of course, always call your vet if you really feel something isn't right.

It's totally normal, though, to feel a bit stressed, or overwhelmed, when our feline babies are ill. Hopefully now that Hammie is back to normal, you can stop worrying and relax a bit. :catrub:

GemsGem

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Hammy is gorgeous :heartshape:
I love her name too :hearthrob:

Welcome both of you to the site :wave3:

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Welcome to you and Hammy! She found just the right person, didn't she? I understand how we worry about our furkids, but I think you need to take a DEEP breath here. Did you know that she can pick up on and react to your anxiety? LOL, I'd recommend a cup of chamomile tea, sweetened with honey. Sugar and chamomile don't play well together. As for the drinking more from the fountain, that's very normal. Instinct tells cats that running water is less likely to be contaminated than still water, and they have at it! Generally, decreased water intake is the issue with kidney problems, so you're good on that!

flowergirl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi solowars - you sound exactly like me! My anxiety loves to latch onto worrying about my cat, too, and it is HARD being the sole one responsible. Everything is harder, from deciding what to do, to getting the cat in a carrier, to administering meds. I'm glad we both found this place!

solowars

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi solowars - you sound exactly like me! My anxiety loves to latch onto worrying about my cat, too, and it is HARD being the sole one responsible. Everything is harder, from deciding what to do, to getting the cat in a carrier, to administering meds. I'm glad we both found this place!
Definitely get it, especially with the meds! It was so stressful for the both of us because she had to be fed medicine 4 times a day and she'd taken to hiding from me after mealtimes, which really broke my heart (but she is back to jumping on to me and nibbling my toes now). She has been fully recovered for more than 2 weeks now and that's done so much to reduce my anxiety, although I still have moments of panic - recently she's been trying to scamper out the door when I throw the trash out at night so I've taken to keeping and ringing a loud bell at the doorway to dissuade her from coming near.

Is that your kitty in your profile? I love tuxedo cats, they look so regal!

solowars

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Welcome to you and Hammy! She found just the right person, didn't she? I understand how we worry about our furkids, but I think you need to take a DEEP breath here. Did you know that she can pick up on and react to your anxiety? LOL, I'd recommend a cup of chamomile tea, sweetened with honey. Sugar and chamomile don't play well together. As for the drinking more from the fountain, that's very normal. Instinct tells cats that running water is less likely to be contaminated than still water, and they have at it! Generally, decreased water intake is the issue with kidney problems, so you're good on that!
I can tell I've been driving her a little crazy with how often I examine her over the day when I'm at home - and this is a just a vicious cycle that reinforces my paranoia that she might be sick. I've been busy at work these couple of days and she's actually looking happier and more relaxed now that I've stopped staring at her constantly at home. Lesson learnt, I need to stop driving both of us up the wall :lol: Deep breaths will be taken and tea will be had (but I'm much more fond of green tea, chamomile tends to make me sleepy).

rosegold

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hello and welcome! Hammy is so so beautiful!! :loveeyes:

I too am an over-worrier and a constant-checker, especially after losing a kitty recently. But I’ve found this site to be a HUGE source of comfort and good advice when I’m feeling paranoid about any potential health problem. I’ve posted a looooot of different threads in the Cat Health forum about issues big to small, and they haven’t kicked me out for being annoying yet. ;) Just kidding, this is an awesome place—happy you’re here!

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Welcome to TCS from another cat worry wart. :wave3: I think most of the members here are overly conscientious when it comes to their cat's well being so you're definitely not alone. :hugs: Here is an Article about your cat and stress that may be helpful for you:
You, Your Cat And Stress