Hello Everyone

Chief Brody

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a couple of questions. I have a 6 week old kitten who has had diarrhea since yesterday morning. His appetite is good and he's active. He was wormed this past Tuesday. Should I be worried? He has a sister, but she doesn't have diarrhea. Just him. Is it maybe being a new parent?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Food changes that affected him but not her?

Diarrhea, as you already know, resulting from worming probably should have occurred before now, or so I would have thought. But, worming can cause diarrhea. If the diarrhea persists, you can get some Pedialyte to add to his water - or food - to help reduce the loss of electrolytes in his system. If you have a vet, call them and ask for some ideas on what to treat the diarrhea with.

I am not sure what to personally recommend to help with the diarrhea in a kitten that young, but there are other members on this site who will have some suggestions for you. Just be patient and check back often for new posts!!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It may be food related - something not agreeing. What brand/flavors are you feeding?

I have two cats who get diarrhea from tuna wet food, but do great on chicken wet food.

If the diarrhea continues you’ll need to see a vet.

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I suspect Chief Brody is referring to themself as the new parent.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Chief Brody

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
What do you mean by this, exactly?

Are these kittens still with mom, or were they bottle-fed?
No. They were found abandoned at a Walmart near where my daughter lives. I bottle fed all three of them. There were 2 girls and 1 boy. They were infested with wolf worms. Vet pulled 3 out of two of them. A total of 9 came out at my house. I lost one of the girls after a week, and a day after I saw the last worm.

A friend of mine put out a call for help because she had surgery a week before she got the babies. I reached out and told her I would help. Just doing my Christian duty. But I have to admit, I haven't done this in 17 years. And I never had to deal with the wolf worms before.

Chief Brody is the one who had the diarrhea. His sister did not. He's better today, but I do have an appointment with a vet Monday afternoon.

Chief Brody

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It may be food related - something not agreeing. What brand/flavors are you feeding?

I have two cats who get diarrhea from tuna wet food, but do great on chicken wet food.

If the diarrhea continues you’ll need to see a vet.
I can't seem to get them to eat anything but tuna and salmon. And never mind the Mixed Grill flavor!!!!! They'd rather starve.

Chief Brody

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a 7 week old kitten who has been sick since he had his shots this past Friday. He's been throwing up and has had dry heaves. I gave him some Pedialyte last night. He will drink water but won't eat.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You might try offering some wet kitten food mixed with water or human meat baby food (no onions or garlic on label) to give him a moisture boost. Vaccines can cause adverse reactions but if it continues or gets worse you should contact your vet for supportive care and/or to make sure it isn't something more than a vaccine reaction.

Chief Brody

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
You might try offering some wet kitten food mixed with water or human meat baby food (no onions or garlic on label) to give him a moisture boost. Vaccines can cause adverse reactions but if it continues or gets worse you should contact your vet for supportive care and/or to make sure it isn't something more than a vaccine reaction.
Thank you so much!!!!! My little guy has been through a lot in his short 7week life. I really thought he would be out of the woods by now. Finished with the one thing after another.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Is he any better now? If not, he may need sub-q fluids from the vet. You’ll need to let the vet know how sick the vaccines made him before he gets anymore. He may be allergic to something in one of the vaccines, or they may need to give him anti-nausea meds next time.

Chief Brody

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Nope, he's not. He goes to my vet for a complimentary exam tomorrow. It was the person's vet I adopted from that gave him the shots.

Chief Brody

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Chief Brody Chief Brody How’s the kitten doing? Did he need subcutaneous fluids?

Yep. He's exhausted, and I am too. I wake him up every couple of hours to give him some Pedialyte. He's going back tomorrow morning for an x-ray of his tummy. My vet said he was too young to have had his shots. Poor Chief doesn't weigh but 1lb 10oz. I am utterly dumbfounded and angry that the rescue person MADE me get his shots BEFORE I could take possession of him!!!!!!!! I have had the 3 of them since they were two weeks old, granted we did lose one of the girls. I SHOULD NOT HAVE BEEN MADE TO PASS AN INITIATION to PROVE I could take care of them!!!!!! I bottle fed them!!!!!!!! And she dared to get upset with me because I let them go out onto our screened in porch?????? WTH?????? Sorry. I had to rant. My little boy is sick and it very well could be her Vets fault.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I’m sorry you are dealing with this. I hope your little guy gets help at the vet today. Please update us!

Chief Brody

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I’m sorry you are dealing with this. I hope your little guy gets help at the vet today. Please update us!
UPDATE on Chief Brody: After 2 rounds of fluids, and an x-ray, he's doing better. The only thing is he still has diarrhea. I'm still giving him Pedialyte for this. His x-ray showed that he had been eating his litter non-clumping kind). So we have now changed the litter. I have had some trouble getting him to eat the hard kitten food. I've tried mixing it together with no luck. Anyone have some suggestions as to how to go about getting him to eat it? I'm really hoping that this will curb the issue of the diarrhea .