Hello everyone - New Member - Purchased my first ever cat! [American Long Hair & Chartreux Kitten Mix]

Juniper_Junebug

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
A Blue/Grey domestic cat is a beautiful cat. Just like the Ginger ones are also regular cats from what I understand but they're still really cool. I guess I am just being OCD about the breed part and it isn't like I paid for a special breed so if it is anything else, it'll be a bonus and I am fine with a regular one as long as everything is good with it!
I agree! I adopted a 4-month old blue/gray kitty in October. I really wanted a "Russian Blue" at first, but ultimately after talking to a vet friend of mine, who explained that cat breeds are not like dog breeds, I realized I really just wanted a blue/gray cat-- because I think they are gorgeous! I lucked out and found one at a rescue. I probably paid what you did, but it included spay and vaccines. (I'm in the US.)

Regardless, you've committed to your kitten, which means you'll have a special experience waiting and watching him/her grow.

If it matters at all, when I brought my kitty home at 4 months, she crawled into my arms within 10 minutes of being let out of the carrier (Literally. She climbed my chest so she could rub her face against mine and then nuzzled in for some cuddling). It's possible I just got lucky (this is my first cat, so it sure feels like I won the kitten lottery), but at least from what I've seen, there can't be a "window" for bonding (as opposed to a window for being socialized to humans generally). My kitty follows me everywhere and is very affectionate.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mr_Kitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
That's all optimal but. . .cats have been born in barns for thousands of years and somehow they manage, lol. They aren't that delicate. So, really, as long as she's a reasonable caring pet owner I think everything will be ok :).
I get it but when all I see and hear are breeders and rescuers telling me or writing in articles or displaying in training videos that "Kittens must be dealt with extra care (and then showing all the things which need to be done) while I have no idea if she is doing any of it cause normal people who got a litter of kittens don't normally keep those scales and thermometers on hand let alone check each kitten's weight and temperature daily to make sure they're eating and are within the right temperature range. Luckily she seems like a lovely girl who really cares for animals and maybe that's all they really need and everything else is extra? I don't know by now. Let's hope I get it healthy and it doesn't develop any health/mental issues down the road.

I honestly saw some cats who got everything you could give them and turned out horrible and impossible to pet and frankly it seems to me they'd be happier away from their owner lol. While, some cats who got the minimum or not even what's required, are the most loving cats ever. I really think it's a hit/miss with cats... I am sure a breed plays a role but in the end of the day, 55 cats from the same breed all act so differently, regardless of the way they were raised as long as they weren't abused or mistreated in any way.

So I also think it'll be okay but I can't help but wonder if there's something extra I need to ask her to do. I am planning to buy an expensive dry/wet food supply for her for my kitten, so when it's ready, it can feed on the best and when I pick it up, I can continue with that diet. I just need to figure out what is the best. She has a ton of Whiskas and I know that stuff is bad for them, it's like fast food for us, I hope she doesn't feed it to my kitten.

I need to chill but there are so many factors out of my control in this situation. Hope it all turns out well.

It will be a beautiful blue cat and you will love it, I am sure. There is nothing wrong with being a "regular" cat.

I'm sorry about your disappointment. It's unfortunate when sellers misrepresent their kittens as mixes of specific breeds, when they are not. I understand that this lady wants to find homes for her kittens, and she is probably simply misinformed about the breeds of the parents. However, I do really hope that she (and her neighbor) won't be tempted in the future to keep breeding their cats, now that they see that people like you are so interested in buying them when advertised this way.
Like I keep saying... As long as the kitten will be healthy physically and mentally and will bond well with me and be generally friendly with others; that is what matters most. Everything else is a bonus.

I do believe he is beautiful, just would be cool if it was a special breed but again, you never know how any cat would turn out, like the comment I left above this one... 5 cats of the same breed can all act differently even though they are "identical". There will always be "people like me" who don't have enough experience and rush to do something because it feels right. In this case I may have spent 300 extra bucks on the vet bills since she is not covering them but I get to see it grow almost day by day and I get to be the one taking it to the Vet for all of those important steps and it feels like a bonding moment on its own which you don't get to have if you walked into a room and were handed a 3 month old kitten. I don't know, I guess there's some novelty around it, feels special.

Kind of like buying a car and knowing no one drove it before you and if it had to be driven to the dealership then it was a very short trip. You get it... fresh :)

:yeah: I so agree.
Is it really bad to not spay her? Is it because people just breed their cats and keep selling them for profit and the cats seeking adoption get picked last? I checked out an adoption agency, I was going to get a SECOND KITTEN but they won't sell it to me unless I buy 2 and some have to be selected for me. So if it is a brother and sister, you don't get to pick which one will be the second cat for example. I told her I will have the original one I purchased in about 3 months but they won't do it, unless you already have a young or adult but not a senior pet.

It is extremely common for people on kijiji to list kittens as such and such mix. Brown tabbies are often labeled bengal mixes. Greys are listed as either charteux or russian blue mixes. Longhairs? oh yes they must be maine coones or mc mixes. Colorpoints? Yep ragdoll or siamese mixes. It's extremely common as a ton of people are under the misconception that cats have to have some breed in them like dogs do, but 95% of all cats actually don't.

Unfortunately even with purebreds you can't guarantee personality, and with kittens especially you never know what you are going to get in terms of personality. Waiting until 12 weeks old is important but it would depend on if the owner is ok with that and the kitten will require vaccines and deworming, generally at that point they have 2 once 12 weeks. If you could get two kittens I would, it's more expensive yes but it can really help with personality problems like aggression and separation anxiety.
That's exactly what I was trying to say in the first two comments at the top of this whole post. I met so many people with cats with either a bad attitude or a MEH personality and some got pretty much the same treatment and care since birth or were the same breed even but they were mostly all different. Some obvious characteristics will almost always be there in certain breeds to the point they are pretty much identical... Like how Bengal cats walk and their energy levels but even between the 2 Bengal cats my friends own (the Male is likely an F3 and the Female is an F2 which also plays a role in their personality since the lower the number the wilder they are) yet it does not really translate exactly according to the science I read about all of this.

Somehow cats say "the hell with what you read about me and my breed... I choose to be this way, live with it lol." It may be an uneducated theory but that is what I usually noticed.

I think she is very much okay with waiting 12 weeks, I will try to push it into 14 weeks IFFFF the litter mates are still there, even 1 is enough. If there are no litter mates after the 10th week, I will let momma cat take care of her kitten until 12 weeks and then pick it up and arrange play dates with my friend's nearly 2 year old cat and another friend's nearly 1 year old cat., and hopefully they will get along and it will still be as beneficial as playing with their tiny litter mates.

If you and the breeder are OK with 12 weeks, take him at that time. First, 12 weeks was a long time standard for serious breeders. so its surely OK. (and some associations allowed 10 weeks)
Second, why breeders nowadays tend to let them go at 16, is not only the development, but also practical issues.

A serious breeder have them vaccinated, vet checked - at least immediately before selling, usually dewormed a couple of times, - and spayed / neutered (In USA, in Europe its usually done later by the permanent owner).. And they must heal inbetween, and have some pleasant time too... And as said, everything must be healed before the last vet check up a day before they are send to the new home. So it puts quite a some pressure on a serious breeder - and the kitten and its mom, if they are to be send away at 12 weeks.
but if 16 weeks, its much easier for everyone. :)
What a great explanation. I will be picking it up at 8 weeks JUST to take it to the vet for an Exam, Vaccine and Deworming as well as a fecal test unless they recommend to do this one later.

Then I will bring it back to her and finally pick it up at 12 weeks to rehome into my place but not before I go to the vet again for an Exam, Vaccine and Deworming and maybe then do a fecal test if it is better to do then.

Seems like 12 weeks is a good standard but I will wait 14 weeks if any litter-mates are left with it. If it is just the mother, for a cat... I think it is okay to take it at this point and expose it to my 2 friends' cats.

12 weeks is "OK" and won't cause problems for most kittens. Because kittens are so resilient and adaptable, most kittens are okay when they are taken from their mothers even earlier than that... even though it's not best for them. In this case, since the person wanted to let them go at 8 weeks, 12 weeks is probably a reasonable compromise.

But just because breeders used to do it that way doesn't mean it's "surely OK" or the best practice to follow. We now have evidence that it's preferable to wait longer than 12 weeks. Vaccination schedules have also changed over time, based on research findings. We used to do the last kitten vaccination at 12 weeks, but now we know that it's important to do the last vaccination in the kitten series at 16 weeks or even later, since maternal immunity is highly variable in when it drops off. Spay/neuter practices have changed based on research, too. Many vets used to wait until 6-9 months to spay a female, and now we know that spaying earlier is not only safe, but also reduces the risk of mammary cancer (as well as unwanted pregnancies).
Thank you for adding your two cents on the matter. Will you please look at my response to the comments above yours? I elaborated on this matter several times and I know it would suit as a response to you, thank you so much for responding to me yet again.

Leaving everything else aside, I wanted to say what a pleasure it is to have someone as caring as you are with us here on TCS. You're going to make a wonderful cat parent, and we'll be with you ever step of the way! Even before getting him/her, you have your kitten's best interest first and foremost, as it should be!
I really appreciate it!!! I just know it's a life... I know it is a life and that RIGHT NOW is when I can make all the difference as it is barely a week old and I am still unsure of the sex even though WE THINK IT'S A MALE. I need to be sure she is not handling it too much (I am afraid it will be dropped, its so squirmy and tiny and barely weighs anything so it's tough to tell where it will turn until it's almost too late. I can't imagine what will happen to a kitten who dives 5 feat onto the hard floor... Let alone I don't know if such a young kitten even should be held by a human being...

The upside is that this little one gets to learn to be okay with human touch but I think maybe I should tell her to give it some time but I just don't want to ruin my relationship with her as she has been so nice this far and it feels awkward to tell her what to do and be bossy/demanding when she is just trying to do something nice for me like send me videos and stuff...

If she ever reads this I want her to know I am so appreciative of her efforts to help me get this kitten and see it whenever I want and communicate with me almost daily. I am just super OCD about this cause whatever mistakes she might make, may last for around 15 years if you know what I mean. So I need to make sure this little one gets exactly what it needs during these crucial first few weeks.

The next few months are super important too but I am so over the top extra about this whole thing that I doubt it will get anything less than perfect with me, it's just that as long as I can't see what is happening with the kitten every day, I am a little uneasy lol.

A great sign that makes me trust her is how nice she was (kind of too nice at first but hopefully that's just how she is) and how calm, loving and trusting her own cat is. Let us pick up her day old kitten (which I think was a mistake but it happened and luckily momma cat did not reject it afterwards) and letting me stand near the entire litter without showing signs of aggression and letting both of us pet her near her kittens.

It gives me hope that my kitten will also be calm and loving. He squirms so much and I feel like he will be by far the most dominant and playful one of its litter haha. Always on top and always moving :hyper:

Thank you for helping a total stranger and putting up with my madness and all of my questions!!!

I agree! I adopted a 4-month old blue/gray kitty in October. I really wanted a "Russian Blue" at first, but ultimately after talking to a vet friend of mine, who explained that cat breeds are not like dog breeds, I realized I really just wanted a blue/gray cat-- because I think they are gorgeous! I lucked out and found one at a rescue. I probably paid what you did, but it included spay and vaccines. (I'm in the US.)

Regardless, you've committed to your kitten, which means you'll have a special experience waiting and watching him/her grow.

If it matters at all, when I brought my kitty home at 4 months, she crawled into my arms within 10 minutes of being let out of the carrier (Literally. She climbed my chest so she could rub her face against mine and then nuzzled in for some cuddling). It's possible I just got lucky (this is my first cat, so it sure feels like I won the kitten lottery), but at least from what I've seen, there can't be a "window" for bonding (as opposed to a window for being socialized to humans generally). My kitty follows me everywhere and is very affectionate.
I resonate with your comment. I also just wanted a color which looks unique and beyond the color/breed, I wanted to feel connected to my kitten and develop a great friendship with it and feel that he really cares about me. I don't know if you can have that with a cat. I met a few cats who were ultimately just like that. I was shocked. It wasn't a moment or anything out of the ordinary... They just always follow you and sit by your side and play and fetch and hug you. I wish my cat will be like this. I don't mind all of this neediness and attention seeking at all :hugs:

Your story sounds incredible and I hope to also have that sort of a moment with my kitten and know that it knows I am his official owner but first and foremost, his friend.

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think she is very much okay with waiting 12 weeks, I will try to push it into 14 weeks IFFFF the litter mates are still there, even 1 is enough. If there are no litter mates after the 10th week, I will let momma cat take care of her kitten until 12 weeks and then pick it up and arrange play dates with my friend's nearly 2 year old cat and another friend's nearly 1 year old cat., and hopefully they will get along and it will still be as beneficial as playing with their tiny litter mates.
"Play dates" with adult cats might not turn out as you expect. Cats aren't like dogs at a dog park. Adult cats may take some time to warm up to the kitten. Even when cats are buddies, something as simple as one cat having a different smell after coming back from a trip to the vet can upset a friendship between two cats, and necessitate going through introductions all over again. Also, are these cats spayed / neutered? Do they routinely spend time with any other cats now, or does each cat live as a single cat?

In any case, I wouldn't suggest introducing the kitten to your friends' cats until the kitten has received its last vaccination between 16-20 weeks. Unless your cat is going to live with one of those other cats and you need to introduce them, it's safer not to introduce the kitten to strange cats until its immune system is more developed and it has the maximum protection from the kitten vaccination series.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is it really bad to not spay her? Is it because people just breed their cats and keep selling them for profit and the cats seeking adoption get picked last?
Not just that but also it's best for you to have your cat spayed/neutered, because cat hormonal behaviors can be very difficult to live with. Many people get rid of their cats because of hormonal behaviors. As a first-time pet owner it's best not to worry about hormones and reproduction and just enjoy your pet.

In addition, there's a lot of health benefits, especially for females. Unspayed females have a much higher chance of reproductive cancers and other disorders.
I was going to get a SECOND KITTEN but they won't sell it to me unless I buy 2 and some have to be selected for me. So if it is a brother and sister, you don't get to pick which one will be the second cat for example. I told her I will have the original one I purchased in about 3 months but they won't do it, unless you already have a young or adult but not a senior pet.
Yes, that's pretty common for rescues to only adopt kittens out in pairs or to someone who already has another kitten. 3 months is a bit long for that kitten to be alone, so maybe wait a while before trying to get another kitten. Probably the best timing would be for them to arrive at appoximately the same time or within a couple weeks of each other.

Mr_Kitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
"Play dates" with adult cats might not turn out as you expect. Cats aren't like dogs at a dog park. Adult cats may take some time to warm up to the kitten. Even when cats are buddies, something as simple as one cat having a different smell after coming back from a trip to the vet can upset a friendship between two cats, and necessitate going through introductions all over again. Also, are these cats spayed / neutered? Do they routinely spend time with any other cats now, or does each cat live as a single cat?
I read on how you're supposed to rub them with a towel and let each cat spend time with said towel and then slowly with each day give them more access to each other but that is when you are introducing a second cat or pet into your household. I wasn't sure what is the best way to prepare for a playdate or if it even makes sense to have one with a cat that is 1 year old and a cat that is 2 years old while mind is going to be shy of 4 months old. According to the adoption agency, as long as the cat is 6 years old or younger, the kitten will be able to get along with it and learn from it like it would from another kitten.

The one who will be nearly 2 years old has 2 more cats living with it whom are older (1 will be 3 years old and one is 7 years old) and they're all tabbies.

The one who is nearly 8 months old now and will be 11 months old by the time I get my kitten, lives in a large family with kids and no other pets. This one is a Scottish fold apparently but the ears are not folded if that makes sense... Maybe it is mixed or maybe my friend was told one thing but really it was not true. In either case, it's a great cat and looks beautiful.

In any case, I wouldn't suggest introducing the kitten to your friends' cats until the kitten has received its last vaccination between 16-20 weeks. Unless your cat is going to live with one of those other cats and you need to introduce them, it's safer not to introduce the kitten to strange cats until its immune system is more developed and it has the maximum protection from the kitten vaccination series.
That's a good point. I will have to wait like 5-6 months before I can arrange these playdates then.

Not just that but also it's best for you to have your cat spayed/neutered, because cat hormonal behaviors can be very difficult to live with. Many people get rid of their cats because of hormonal behaviors. As a first-time pet owner it's best not to worry about hormones and reproduction and just enjoy your pet.

In addition, there's a lot of health benefits, especially for females. Unspayed females have a much higher chance of reproductive cancers and other disorders.
Wow... Definitely will let her know about this and hopefully she will care. I am definitely planning on fixing mine, I was always going to do it. I was just curious why everyone was so fixated on that haha. Still learning!

Yes, that's pretty common for rescues to only adopt kittens out in pairs or to someone who already has another kitten. 3 months is a bit long for that kitten to be alone, so maybe wait a while before trying to get another kitten. Probably the best timing would be for them to arrive at appoximately the same time or within a couple weeks of each other.
Yea but I realized I don't have the money for it really.. I do if I want to really lower my living standards. I am already risking my quality of life by getting one cat... In the way that I will have to think about the cat before I think about myself. I just moved out and I am cutting it close so pretty much paycheck to paycheck but getting a raise and a premium soon (fingers crossed).

I calculated it and I know I can afford it but I will have to budget VERY wisely.

BY THE WAY, TO EVERYONE WHO SPOKE TO ME ABOUT THE BREED:

I watched this awesome video on YouTube and I don't have the context for it, maybe this is a super rare situation or maybe the owner is a super experienced trainer/owner. Either or, it goes to show that some of the most "normal/regular" looking cats and "non-specialized breeds" can be super smart and cute and make you want to take them home no matter what is their story.

Cat Uses Toilet, Then FLUSHES

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I just want to add that sometimes you don't have that instant love moment with your kitten. But even if you don't, it doesn't mean it won't come. My girl was feral when I got her at 3 months old. It took a lot of time and patience to earn her trust. But now at nearly 6 years old she is my velcro kitty; follows me everywhere, gives me big kitty eyes for affection and melts into laps. It is a different feeling to know that you've earned their love and trust. That first time they cuddle or want to be pet is extra special.

My boy was 5 weeks old when I got him. Velcro kitten but when he hit about 6 months old he got more independent. Also, not a problem. It makes the times he wants cuddles and wants attention all the more precious that they aren't as frequent.He definitely loves us, even when he doesn't want lap or affection he will often be in the same room or follow us around. He also is the most responsive to his name and direction of our three cats. He just isn't a physically affectionate cat. He does have a slight fear issue and anxiety my girl, doesn't which I attribute to early weaning and loss of mother. At nearly 7 years old, he is just now starting to slow down and want more lap time and we happily accommodate him.

Each cat is unique in their own way.

And 100% spay her. Ideally before her first heat (usually 6 months) for the most health benefit. All surgeries have a slight risk but kittens recover very quickly. With females, if you can afford it, I do recommend a private vet not a clinic just because of my own personal experiences.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I watched this awesome video on YouTube and I don't have the context for it, maybe this is a super rare situation or maybe the owner is a super experienced trainer/owner. Either or, it goes to show that some of the most "normal/regular" looking cats and "non-specialized breeds" can be super smart and cute and make you want to take them home no matter what is their story.

Cat Uses Toilet, Then FLUSHES
Teaching a cat to use a toilet is actually not a great idea. There are kits and people who do it. The problem is that if the bathroom isn't available one time it can lead to all sorts of problems.

Mr_Kitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I just want to add that sometimes you don't have that instant love moment with your kitten. But even if you don't, it doesn't mean it won't come. My girl was feral when I got her at 3 months old. It took a lot of time and patience to earn her trust. But now at nearly 6 years old she is my velcro kitty; follows me everywhere, gives me big kitty eyes for affection and melts into laps. It is a different feeling to know that you've earned their love and trust. That first time they cuddle or want to be pet is extra special.

My boy was 5 weeks old when I got him. Velcro kitten but when he hit about 6 months old he got more independent. Also, not a problem. It makes the times he wants cuddles and wants attention all the more precious that they aren't as frequent.He definitely loves us, even when he doesn't want lap or affection he will often be in the same room or follow us around. He also is the most responsive to his name and direction of our three cats. He just isn't a physically affectionate cat. He does have a slight fear issue and anxiety my girl, doesn't which I attribute to early weaning and loss of mother. At nearly 7 years old, he is just now starting to slow down and want more lap time and we happily accommodate him.

Each cat is unique in their own way.

And 100% spay her. Ideally before her first heat (usually 6 months) for the most health benefit. All surgeries have a slight risk but kittens recover very quickly. With females, if you can afford it, I do recommend a private vet not a clinic just because of my own personal experiences.
I totally get it. I know that sometimes it has to be earned and I would even prefer that in a way cause then, the bond is that much stronger. I just still hope it wouldn't take longer than a month or two. It's a big need of mine to have an affectionate cat. I personally don't see the need or benefit of having one if it hates your guts when you try to pick it up or pet it. Kind of like a free-loader who doesn't want to contribute lol.

It's amazing how patient you are. I don't think I would be this patient but maybe this is the inexperience talking. I definitely will do whatever I can for it to feel loved and want to be around me. Sometimes, just like with humans, I would probably need to give it some space, for it to miss me.

Yeah so she is not my cat, everyone is talking about the seller's cat who gave birth to my kitten and the seller is not an actual breeder. I do not know the sex of mine but I think it is a male.

Teaching a cat to use a toilet is actually not a great idea. There are kits and people who do it. The problem is that if the bathroom isn't available one time it can lead to all sorts of problems.
Yea I thought about it actually. What I told my friends was that I would do it if I had a spare bathroom, which would ultimately become the cat's room. I would do everything cat related in there and it will be a pet's palace lol.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This one is a Scottish fold apparently but the ears are not folded if that makes sense... Maybe it is mixed or maybe my friend was told one thing but really it was not true.
Scottish Folds are kind of a problematic breed, as the gene that causes folded ears also affects the other cartilage in the body and this often leads to crippling arthritis. But also, folded-ear Scottish Folds must be bred to a straight-eared cat, so about 50% of the kittens will have straight ears. So in this case, yes, it can be an actual purebred without having the trait the breed is known for. Scottish Straights are fine kitties too :D.

But yeah, most cats don't do playdates so that's in the "probably not gonna happen" category, lol. Although who knows, you might end up finding the few cats who enjoy it.

Juniper_Junebug

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I totally get it. I know that sometimes it has to be earned and I would even prefer that in a way cause then, the bond is that much stronger. I just still hope it wouldn't take longer than a month or two. It's a big need of mine to have an affectionate cat. I personally don't see the need or benefit of having one if it hates your guts when you try to pick it up or pet it. Kind of like a free-loader who doesn't want to contribute lol.
Don't worry so much. I'm sure you're gonna love your kitty because he's yours. To paraphrase a little Saint-Exupery, it's the time you will have wasted on your cat that makes your cat so important.

My dear affectionate kitty was a real pill today, probably because I'm back to normal work hours after the holiday. But this evening I spent 15 straight minutes watching her try to understand a dripping faucet. And my heart almost exploded. 💖

Mr_Kitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Scottish Folds are kind of a problematic breed, as the gene that causes folded ears also affects the other cartilage in the body and this often leads to crippling arthritis. But also, folded-ear Scottish Folds must be bred to a straight-eared cat, so about 50% of the kittens will have straight ears. So in this case, yes, it can be an actual purebred without having the trait the breed is known for. Scottish Straights are fine kitties too :D.

But yeah, most cats don't do playdates so that's in the "probably not gonna happen" category, lol. Although who knows, you might end up finding the few cats who enjoy it.
Oh that's actually super interesting. Yea I honestly didn't know about the playdates. I thought since they need to learn from each other, they'd appreciate being with other cats. Then again, they need to bond first probably, so that is an important step.

Don't worry so much. I'm sure you're gonna love your kitty because he's yours. To paraphrase a little Saint-Exupery, it's the time you will have wasted on your cat that makes your cat so important.

My dear affectionate kitty was a real pill today, probably because I'm back to normal work hours after the holiday. But this evening I spent 15 straight minutes watching her try to understand a dripping faucet. And my heart almost exploded. 💖
That's so cute and funny at the same time. How old is your cat? I am honestly really looking forward to getting it and starting the journey together. I can't tell I feel that it is MINE yet per-se.... I do feel like it is coming but it is not really there yet. I need the "grab-your-finger" moment a father would have with their newborn kind of thing to feel that. I will probably really feel it when I go over to her place again to see the kitten and it will be developed enough to properly interact with me, and especially when I take it to the vet.

Can a kitten dislike you for picking it up and its first one-on-one experience with you is sheer anxiety due to a car ride/vet exam/let alone being with someone it barely knows and and pain due to the Vet experience such as the vaccination?

Mr_Kitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Home raised kittens are pretty forgiving. They also usually like the vet. So unless the vet mishandles them I think it'll be ok.
Thank you for reassuring me. Would be nice if they set up a live feed so we can see how our pets are being treated. I think this should be mandatory.

CatladyJan

<><
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you for reassuring me. Would be nice if they set up a live feed so we can see how our pets are being treated. I think this should be mandatory.
Yes it has been difficult not going in with our pets. I have a lot of experience and trust with my vet so I’ve bern okay. If it was a wound or X-ray or tumor...I would think they could use video technology

Mr_Kitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes it has been difficult not going in with our pets. I have a lot of experience and trust with my vet so I’ve bern okay. If it was a wound or X-ray or tumor...I would think they could use video technology
Something tells me a lot of people will request this service from the vet clinics if they will continue keeping people out.

Mr. Meow

Special needs cat expert.
Super Cat
Purraise
My friend keeps telling me he got his Scottish Fold on his 8th week and that I will miss our on the best "Kitten" period if I wait that extra month and I agree with him, cause you'll never get that again.
I'm going to say this with all the kindness I can, but your friend is 1000% incorrect. Cats and kittens will continue to astound and amaze you their entire lives.
I urge you to take the advice of the members of this community very seriously. You mentioned that this is your first kitten, but please, please take the advice of people who have been living in the land of cats for years or even decades.
I'm going to hold my thoughts and comments about breeding/breeders, but a purebred is not a purebred without valid documentation...period.
We all want you to have the best, most positive first experience with cats that you can possibly have, and we want nothing but health and happiness for the little bundle of fur you'll welcome into your life.
We'll be here to answer any questions you may have from the first day until the end, and long after. But again, please be careful with what the "breeder" is telling you (without proof), and take the advice given here with a lot of weight behind it.

PuffandPercy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've adopted kittens, and I've adopted adult cats.

I actually prefer adopting older kittens (6+ months) or adults, for a variety of reasons. I personally didn't have cuddly cats once they grew up from being babies, whereas the adult cats you can evaluate their personality better, and judge what they're like (to an extent, sometimes they're too scared to know for sure).

Kittens also kept me up all night :rolleyes:
I like my sleep, so I won't be missing that!

Be prepared for some ups and downs, they can be a bit of work. But that bond you do get, and I have had with all my cats, regardless of how old they were when adopted, is why we're all here no doubt. That and to vent about when they're being buttheads :flail:I can see you care, and there's some great advice available for you here.

Keep us updated, and congrats :welcomesign: