Hello all we was wondering?

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He's an adorable kitten! I would describe Atlas as a red spotted tabby domestic shorthair. Bengals don't come in red. Spotted tabby is simply one of the tabby patterns seen in domestic cats, and doesn't indicate Bengal ancestry. Most cats are not any particular breed.

Is there a reason that they thought he was a Bengal, other than the fact that he has spots?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dtaylor653

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He's an adorable kitten! I would describe Atlas as a red spotted tabby domestic shorthair. Bengals don't come in red. Spotted tabby is simply one of the tabby patterns seen in domestic cats, and doesn't indicate Bengal ancestry. Most cats are not any particular breed.

Is there a reason that they thought he was a Bengal, other than the fact that he has spots?
Hello and thanks for the reply. He is very adorable and we love him so much. What we was told that his dad is a snow Bengal and the mother was a low quality Bengal. They said all they have are bengals.

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Red can't be carried, so for him to be red in color, his mother must have been either red tabby or tortoiseshell / torbie... these are not accepted colors in the Bengal breed.

Is it a backyard breeder that doesn't register their cats? Perhaps they are breeding domestic shorthairs with Bengals, or maybe they are breeding spotted domestic shorthairs and assuming that they are Bengals?

microrca

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Doubtful, since red is not a bengal color. What color are his toe beans? Bengals have black beans, even the light colored snow bengals.

dtaylor653

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Red can't be carried, so for him to be red in color, his mother must have been either red tabby or tortoiseshell / torbie... these are not accepted colors in the Bengal breed.

Is it a backyard breeder that doesn't register their cats? Perhaps they are breeding domestic shorthairs with Bengals, or maybe they are breeding spotted domestic shorthairs and assuming that they are Bengals?
The said they got him from a breeder., Don't know if I can say the place

dtaylor653

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Doubtful, since red is not a bengal color. What color are his toe beans? Bengals have black beans, even the light colored snow bengals.
We looked and they are pink so I guess that answers the question lol. No matter we love him so much. Thanks for all your help.

cataholic07

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yah for sure not a bengal. Unfortunately lots of bad breeders call their kittens some breed in order to increase the amount they can sell them for. Lots of spotted tabbies as bengals, longhair kittens as maine coones you get the point lol.. it is a real issue. Thats why its important to know the breed before getting one, and going to registered breeder. Who yes will be more costly as most times they will spay/neuter the kittens prior to them leaving and wont be allowed to leave until 12 weeks old but you are actually getting the breed you want lol. If you bought the kitten off of kijiji or something like that and can flag the ad I would do so. But nonetheless congrats on your new fur baby.