Helicopter Grandparent

ShereKhanDickon

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Scout! is ten months old. I assigned her a birthday. She showed up and jumped into my lap. I remember wondering if she was even weaned.

Her litter is one month old. I'm not saying they are poorly nourished. They are active and have bright, attentive eyes. I wish they walked more uprightly, rather than mostly crawling like alligators.

I thought I might try a little supplement. Further, I want to be prepared in case I am needed.

Our threads speak of caring for newborns as though it is an easy thing. I am having no success. Scout! will lap this stuff from her bowl in small quantities.

20210503_203449.jpg 20210503_203500.jpg

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
What is your question? It sounds like you are concerned about the kittens. How many are there? What do they weigh? Are they weaning to soft foods yet? Can they lap kitten formula? If so, it’s fine to give to them.

At 4 weeks they should have baby teeth and should soon start trying soft, pate kitten food, but many kittens do not wean until 6-8 weeks. Are they getting enough milk from mom?

If you state your particular question(s) more directly, I could give better advice.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ShereKhanDickon

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Simply stated, I am wondering why I have no success in attempting to feed the four kittens with the products shown. They do not take the nourishment. My experience is with larger animals and there is no trick to it.

Are they getting enough naturally? Maybe. I see pictures of four-month-olds that seem further along. Their mother Scout! is as thin as a rail and not all that much larger. She is only nine months older.

To your other point, yes, they have teeth. They chew on my fingers. I'll try the above formula in a bowl. Scout! takes it that way.

Perhaps I should try them with pate.

Perhaps I should just stop fussing. They're fine.

ShereKhanDickon

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Have I indicated four months? Try four weeks!

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Scout is pretty young to have had kittens, are you getting her fixed? Part of the reason the kittens and her are tiny could be that she was too young to have a healthy litter. Her body wasn't done growing so her energy reserves are going to the kittens and keeping herself alive.

Four weeks old is right around when most kittens start experimenting with solid food. Since they have Mom they aren't inclined to nurse from a bottle, so just leave a bowl with some formula down periodically for them to partake of if they want. They are still mostly reliant on nursing but they will start copying Scout and learn to eat when they are ready. Scout and the kits should be given as much kitten wet food as they want, you can mix in the kitten formula to make a slurry which is easier for kittens to lap up. Wet kitten labeled food is the best one to give Scout and the kittens the nutrition they need.

Edit to add, saw your other posts. It's good that yougot the boys neutered. Just keep an eye on Scout and don't little boys around her for a few weeks. She can still get pregnant again from them over the next few weeks. Once the kittens are weaned hopefully you can get Scout in too.

ShereKhanDickon

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The litter will not take the artificial nipple, nor will they lap at the formula in a bowl.

Scout! is lapping the formula and, in general, eating better day after day. Today is the first time that I noticed chubby bellies on the little ones. This is how I remember it as a child myself. It's hard to believe that Scout! is up to it.

I'll try another step toward weaning again on the weekend.