Heel Spur

CatLover49

All Cats Are Special
Top Cat
Purraise
Hey everyone..I got a non cat question..I have a heel spur...Had an x-ray done and its a heel spur..Could any members tell me about their experience...that is for the one's that have had heel spurs...What was done for it?? What was you alls experience? ???Please HELP...TIA

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have not had or have a heel spur, but I have treated people with them.
First, unfortunately, the bone growth itself can really only be removed surgically, although perhaps new technology that am unaware of might make it less invasive, that you would have to talk to your doctor about.
As for helping alleviate pain and symptoms...
Usually a heel spur will form due to chronic inflammation and tension of the planter fascia (bottom of the foot). That is, IF your heel spur is located on the bottom of the heel where the heel meets the end of the arch of the foot....Is that where it is? Or is it at the back of the heel where the achilles tendon attaches?
If it's the former...
Treating your feet as you would for plantar fasciitis would help alleviate the inflammation and tension on the heel making the tissue surrounding the spur less painful while walking. Seeking treatment from a therapist would be very helpful, like massage therapy, physiotherapy. Treatments from a chiropodist or podiatrist would be a good place to start as well, they use things like laser therapy that seem to be effective for heel pain.
You can also get shoes made / insoles, with cushioning at the heel, some I've seen have even had small holes/indents to accommodate the spur area so walking is less painful.
Epsom salt foot baths can help ease muscle tension, increase circulation which will alleviate the stress on where the tissue attaches, and relieve inflammation.
If you have a bad flair up of pain, you can freeze a water bottle and gently roll your foot back and fourth to calm the inflammation.

I have effectively treated plantar fasciitis with many patients, some of whom also had spurs which did not bother them as much with treatment. I hope this points you in the right direction or gives you some ideas.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

CatLover49

All Cats Are Special
Top Cat
Purraise
I have not had or have a heel spur, but I have treated people with them.
First, unfortunately, the bone growth itself can really only be removed surgically, although perhaps new technology that am unaware of might make it less invasive, that you would have to talk to your doctor about.
As for helping alleviate pain and symptoms...
Usually a heel spur will form due to chronic inflammation and tension of the planter fascia (bottom of the foot). That is, IF your heel spur is located on the bottom of the heel where the heel meets the end of the arch of the foot....Is that where it is? Or is it at the back of the heel where the achilles tendon attaches?
If it's the former...
Treating your feet as you would for plantar fasciitis would help alleviate the inflammation and tension on the heel making the tissue surrounding the spur less painful while walking. Seeking treatment from a therapist would be very helpful, like massage therapy, physiotherapy. Treatments from a chiropodist or podiatrist would be a good place to start as well, they use things like laser therapy that seem to be effective for heel pain.
You can also get shoes made / insoles, with cushioning at the heel, some I've seen have even had small holes/indents to accommodate the spur area so walking is less painful.
Epsom salt foot baths can help ease muscle tension, increase circulation which will alleviate the stress on where the tissue attaches, and relieve inflammation.
If you have a bad flair up of pain, you can freeze a water bottle and gently roll your foot back and fourth to calm the inflammation.

I have effectively treated plantar fasciitis with many patients, some of whom also had spurs which did not bother them as much with treatment. I hope this points you in the right direction or gives you some ideas.
Its towards the back...And when I touch it it like sore and it HURTS ..Ad ive heard about these shots you can get..but ive heard they hurt like crazy...And I think its cortisone shot...But I had one yrs ago cause I had bursitis in my hip..And the Dr.gave me a cortisone shot believe in my hip and im NOT LYING I nearly passed OUT

Last edited:

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh poop, at the back of the heel is hard to help.
Yes, cortisone shots can be quite painful, but it depends on where and the person. It's basically a steroid shot that will help reduce the inflammation in the area helping to alleviate the pain. It can last a couple of weeks or even several months, but may not work at all...I've heard it all when it comes to cortisone injections.
One thing I would suggest is to stretch the backs of your legs. Lay on your back, and with your knee straight and your foot extended (toes up, NOT like a ballerina dancing), hook a towel or some sort of strap around the bottom of your foot and pull your leg up (bending at the hip) to stretch the back of your leg. You can also target your calf specifically by placing your toes/ball of foot up on the wall with heel still on floor, and then bend your knee while leaning towards the wall. You should feel a stretch in your calf. This could help to relieve tension of the tissue from the back of the heel.
Therapeutic massage of the achilles tendon and back of leg could also help.
Perhaps putting corn pads in the heels of your shoes would be a nice way to cushion it. Or on the actual spur...
The epsom salt foot baths are still a good option of soothing the feet.
Ice application on the spur site if it's inflamed can also help with pain.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I was told I have a small one. The Podiatrist sent me to physical therapy for plantar fasciitis; which helped a lot. The physical therapist was the ones that told me my arches collapse; which can lead to heel spurs. I went from daily pain for months (sometimes it felt like someone was driving a nail into my heel and meds did nothing) to much much less pain. I learned to stretch before I even get out of bed in the morning. But I also regained a lot of range of motion and strength I didn't know I was missing. So the PT was really good for me. Once I started wearing good insoles in my shoes I really lost the pain. I also have a few things i use to roll my feet on that help stretch them and that relieves the pain.

Good luck!

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
I supposedly have a large heel spur but am very fortunate that I don't experience any pain at all, at least I don't think I do!

I cannot offer anything except I hope that you find some relief from it!!!