Heavy

aradasky

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have found, as I get older (and yes this happens to all of us) that my cat litter is getting heavier. Even the 20lb boxes are getting unwieldy to lift and pour. Litter is cheaper in the larger sizes like 40lb bags but there is no way I can cart that around unaided. I just went to Amazon and got an inexpensive luggage cart that I will ease the bags onto when they are delivered, get them into the house and add a large plastic cup in the bag to scoop as I take the litter to all the litter boxes.

The cart is small and even folds when not in use.

Just thought this might help others...

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
A small hand truck is great, too. I had to get one to use at work because we didn't have anythng to move 25lb buckets and other heavy items around. We were just dragging the buckets up and down the loong hallway which is hard on the back and basically a PITA:headshake: I think that's one of the reasons why I ened up with back problems and eventally needed physical therapy. The hand truck I ordered through work is a cheapy foldable one that works well.

At home I cart the 42lb bag of litter from the car in a little shopping cart. The bag gets transferred into an old litter bucket and use a small scoop (really just an old margarine container) to refill the litter box as needed. I need to get a dolly to put the bucket on so I can just wheel it in and out of the closet as needed :think:

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have found, as I get older (and yes this happens to all of us) that my cat litter is getting heavier. Even the 20lb boxes are getting unwieldy to lift and pour. Litter is cheaper in the larger sizes like 40lb bags but there is no way I can cart that around unaided. I just went to Amazon and got an inexpensive luggage cart that I will ease the bags onto when they are delivered, get them into the house and add a large plastic cup in the bag to scoop as I take the litter to all the litter boxes.

The cart is small and even folds when not in use.

Just thought this might help others...
That is a good idea. I think I have one of those out in the garage somewhere. Need to dust it off and put it to use.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yes like that but square instead of round:agree: I found a few options on Amazon.

Purr-fect

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We use the 20kg boxes and its getting tiresome.

Sorry, no suggestions.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

aradasky

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I was using the 20LB boxes as well, but hubby travels and I end up lifting them from time of being delivered, to inside, to pouring into boxes myself. Now, I get the 40LB bag delivered to front porch, ease it out of box onto the carrier, into house, eased into a plastic box(just tall enough to add support) that will keep it standing and use a big, plastic cup to distribute litter to boxes. So far it is much easier than hand-carrying the heavy boxes. And the buying the larger bag of litter is less expensive.

Ardina

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I was getting tired of lifting the 40 lb bags of litter, even when they get delivered to my doorstep. So I tried switching to a grass-based clumping litter since it's lighter, but unfortunately my cats really prefer the clay litter, so back to the 40 lb bags...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

aradasky

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ardina, lifting those 40LB bags of litter is why I bought a luggage carrier so I did not have to life them anymore. Now I just "walk" them to the carrier. My back says thank you every time!