Heavy Object Fell On Kitty's Paw Yesterday, Now It Is Very Swollen

heatherfeather9360

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
One of the stray kitties I have been feeding for a couple years had a heavy object fall on his paw yesterday early morning. (A thick drinking glass fell off the shelf above my bed, where we were both laying.) Since I saw him last night, the paw is now double in size and looks quite painful. Because I was sitting next to him when it happened he thinks I had something to do with it and he is scared of me. I don't know how to help him and I'm worried for him and sad that he is in pain.

He is walking only when he has to and favoring that paw to the point of barely touching it on the ground. He ate some treats I gave him just now and he did eat dinner, so his appetite is intact.

I just spent every penny I had on one of my own kitties because she was attacked by a dog last month. $500 later I am severely broke and have no money to take this little baby to the vet.

I have some liquid Gabapentin I was prescribed for my kitty who was attacked by the dog. Can I give him that? What can I do for his pain and swelling? I know he wont let me ice it.

Does anyone have any advice?

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Unfortunately this is a case where there isnt anything we can tell you to do OTC. It would be very irresponsible of anyone to tell you to give the meds you have. He needs an xray to make sure nothing is broken and pain medication from the vet. There is simply no way around that. Try carecredit.com if you dont have money for him. But he does need to go in. It wouldn't be fair to him otherwise.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

heatherfeather9360

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you to the person who sent me the link for grants and low cost clinics. I've put in some applications and am waiting to hear, although I don't think I qualify because he hasn't been seen and given a diagnosis (or he didn't qualify for a particular charity). But it does not hurt to try.

I know he needs to see a vet. I have no resources after my kitty was hurt last month by a dog and I spent every last dime I had on her. I have used all Care Credit available and Scratch Pay will not approve me. There are no vets here who will accept payment plans or see an animal for free. I was hoping anyone had any outside-the-box advice or information about grants or financial assistance.

I am not holding out because I don't want to spend the money or saying he doesn't need a vet. He is not even my cat. He is a stray I want to help because I love him like my own.

I am sitting here sobbing after hours of reading and applying for grants and researching and finding that he doesn't qualify for anything. My next call will be to the humane society to see if they will take him and it breaks my heart to have to do this. I just went through a horrible ordeal with my kitty last month and I am going on pretty much no steam and a lot of sadness. I was just hoping for some support...or an idea...or something helpful.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Do you have a local Petsmart store? Many stores have a Banfield vet hospital on site. The first visit for new patients is free. Since your cat will need treatment, that will cost extra.

Call vet hospitals and ask if they have any financial aid for pet owners. Care Credit is one but some have pet care assistance funds.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Come to think of it, VCA animal hospitals provide a free first visit, too. I don't know how much they will do for free, but it's a start.

Leomc123

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Do you have an RSPCa shelter or vet clinic ? RSPCA is more cheaper in terms of vet bills. Are you able to speak to an online vet and send pictures and videos ?
Do you have a friend that may help with a cost and you pay them later? What suburb and state do you live in ?

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I personally wouldn't trust an online vet. You have no idea if the person on the other end is actually a licensed vet in good standing with a veterinary board or a troll.