Heavily Pregnant Panic

galaxywidewanderer

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So I took in a stray 58 days ago. I had been watching her for a while before I took her in. The people that had been feeding her told me they were sure she was pregnant about 2 weeks before I took her in. I got that confirmed by a vet. They didn’t tell me how far along she was, but she was very clearly showing already at that point. I’ve again had her for 58 days. She was pregnant already. So 58 days on top of the two weeks before that when I was told she was probably pregnant. She still hasn’t given birth. She’s gone in and out of her nesting box for days, has been screaming randomly, and last week she started demanding food every hour on the hour but hasn’t even been eating most of it and then wants a new fresh plate every time. I’ve been wasting a lot of her food. When she lays down on her side her back leg, which ever is on top, twitches a bunch and sometimes she just holds it up as high as she can. Then she gets up and walks away again. That’s been happening for over a week. She constantly tries to put her whole butt against me. Like backs up into me and I’m not okay with that because she can’t reach back there to clean and it’s not exactly clean right now. She’s also not using her litter box properly all of a sudden. She puts her front feet in, keeps her back legs on the doorway, and poops onto the floor. She pees inside. Just not poop. If I cover myself in towels and sit in the floor, she lays against me and really aggressively headbutts every inch of me and licks and nibbles on me and screams like I’m murdering her if I pull my hands away. Tonight her stomach felt hard as a rock again while she was on the towels I put on myself, but I had to get up and use the bathroom, when I opened the door she was standing there. I sat back down with her and her stomach was back to normal and the kittens were moving all over the place again in her belly. I’m 90% sure she’s late giving birth and just isn’t happy with anything unless she’s right on top of me, mainly her butt. If I don’t let her put it on my lap, she walks behind me and sticks in against my back and I don’t know why. I can’t take her to a vet until the weekend because my partner works out of town and I have no transportation until then. And even so my vet is appointment only and they’re backed up for weeks. I just need to know if ANYONE has any idea about what’s going on with her? I don’t need any extra advice. I’ve done weeks of research. I know what to do after they’re born, even while she’s giving birth. Absolutely nothing in her environment has changed since she’s been here. Everything is exactly how it was from day one, but something is wrong. Maybe I’m worrying too much I don’t know. This is my first cat in a few years because I wasn’t allowed to have any in my apartment until now and I feel like I’m being super extra.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She needs to see a vet, as I'm sure you know. You can feel the kittens move, so that is a good sign, but the other signs are not normal. The long end of a cat's pregnancy is 67 days, though some breeds may go as long as 72. So she is at the very end of the longest time. If she doesn't have the kittens in the next 24 hours she MUST see a vet. call your vet, explain it is an emergency and call everyone you know to get a ride. Call another vet if necessary, but get her in. you may lose both her and the kittens if you don't. I don't want to scare you, I'll try to get some expert help here first to advise you, please keep us informed! StefanZ StefanZ , and Sarthur2 Sarthur2 , can you help

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
This is an overdue emergency!

If she was already showing when you got her, and you’ve had her for 58 days, AND she’s acting this way, then something is definitely wrong. The answer is to get her vet checked ASAP.

She may not be able to have these kittens normally, or a kitten may be stuck or deceased in the birth canal. It really is an emergency. She may need a C-section, or Oxytocin to get labor started.

This cannot wait as you say it’s been going on for a week already. You may lose all kittens and mom.

Also, get a warm damp rag and clean her back end up since she cannot do it herself.

Please keep us posted!

galaxywidewanderer galaxywidewanderer

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

galaxywidewanderer

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Update! So for the last 3 hours, she’s been in labor. She had the first one at 8:17 this morning. It meowed very loud and has been nursing just fine. The second one came at 9:27. It was stillborn unfortunately. At 10:13 she gave birth to the third! Who also let out a very loud meow and is nursing perfectly. She’s cleaned her whole backside and let me remove the stillborn one to avoid any bacteria from spreading with no issue. She also insisted on some pets on the head. It’s like she’s completely back to normal. After I made this post I took her into the bedroom and laid down with her and cried for a minute and then she just started. Like as if she had to be in the one room I usually keep her out of. So I put her queening box in there and after she had the first one, once she realized it couldn’t follow her, she took it into the box and has stayed in it. She’s doing much better and acts like she feels better too. I called the vet as soon as they opened and they said if anything that she had going on continues after the birth is over to bring her in no appointment needed. If nothing is wrong they told me after 7 weeks I should bring them all in for shots and such. Apparently it’s most likely she was just really stressed because she couldn’t get in the room she wanted to have them in and it was causing physical issues. But everything seems fine now.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I am so relieved to hear this. The behavior you described was very concerning, so I am doubly happy that it has all worked out. So sorry about the stillborn, but good there are two healthy kittens nursing.

It was smart thinking on your part to let her in your room! Most cats have a deep desire to be with or near their special “person” when laboring and even the first 3 weeks after birth.

Let us know if she has more!

galaxywidewanderer

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She hasn’t given birth to anymore kittens and she looks deflated now. She’s gotten up and used the litter box successfully and PROPERLY. Her kittens are resting in the box seemingly with full tummies. She’s now in the living room cleaning herself up. She did so well for a first time mom who didn’t have her own mom to teach her. She demanded praise of course in the form of chin scratches. So we got two beautiful kittens with seemingly no issues. Only one loss. Honestly that works out perfectly as I only had two homes lined up so far. The blanket she had the other two on are nearly spotless, but I’ll of course still be washing it and replacing it. I gave the stillborn a small funeral. I lit a white candle and put some crystals next to it. I decided to name it Oscar. I don’t know why. It just felt right. Hopefully Oscar is having fun playing at the rainbow bridge.

JuliaNSteve

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Congrats on the new kittens and a successful birth. Sounds like you did a great job! You have a lucky cat. Now that you’ve been through it ... how far overdue do you think the kittens were? I’m asking bc I’m in a very similar situation. Rehomed a one year old cat, and noticed she was seemingly pregnant. And now here we’re are 8 weeks later and no kittens. She’s huge. And I thought she would have them last night, but still pregnant this morning. The only solace is that she is acting fine.

galaxywidewanderer

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Congrats on the new kittens and a successful birth. Sounds like you did a great job! You have a lucky cat. Now that you’ve been through it ... how far overdue do you think the kittens were? I’m asking bc I’m in a very similar situation. Rehomed a one year old cat, and noticed she was seemingly pregnant. And now here we’re are 8 weeks later and no kittens. She’s huge. And I thought she would have them last night, but still pregnant this morning. The only solace is that she is acting fine.
Well the kittens were really big, and based on the fact everyone told me it sounded like an emergency, I’d say she was a week overdue. My advice, if you have a way to a vet, get her to one as soon as possible. I got lucky, but you might not. Worst case scenario she has to have an emergency c-section. But if you wait too long it could get much worse. Trust your gut and her. If she acts like something is wrong or you notice something, go to the vet. And if everything is fine, they can at least tell you how many kittens there are and help determine when to expect labor.

galaxywidewanderer

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am so relieved to hear this. The behavior you described was very concerning, so I am doubly happy that it has all worked out. So sorry about the stillborn, but good there are two healthy kittens nursing.

It was smart thinking on your part to let her in your room! Most cats have a deep desire to be with or near their special “person” when laboring and even the first 3 weeks after birth.

I wasn’t sure but I thought you guys would like to see the ones that made it! It’s now 7:35 and she’s doing pretty good. I’ve had to roll her off of them a couple times because she ignored their squeals, but it seems like she might’ve figured what she’s doing wrong. I’ve had to help them find nipples multiple times as every time they unlatch she meows until I come to help. She knows I know what to do and trusts me so I didn’t get any sleep until 4. She came in here and curled up next to me and we took a nap. Woke up at 7, she used the litter box properly again, and she’s back in with them now. Say hello to the polar opposite siblings!

Attachments

galaxywidewanderer

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

Does anyone have any idea when momma should start eating again? She never went off her food before the birth and so far the babies seem to still be getting plenty of milk. Momma doesn’t seem like she’s hungry or anything yet either. But it’s 12 a.m. and she still hasn’t ate. I don’t think she’s taken a drink yet either. She just naps and cleans herself and nurses. Should I put her food and water next to her box so it’s closer? I read a few sources that said to do that and a few that said not to because it can make them feel like predators will come for the food so I’m not totally sure which to go with.

galaxywidewanderer

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So I want to start by saying I already called a vet, who said to wait until morning unless things get worse to bring her in, but my new momma that I posted about before puked up a good size puddle of gross brown liquid. It smelled like decomposed corpse and looked like there was some fur from her darker kitten in it. But I couldn’t show that to the vet. She’s otherwise acting fine, although still hasn’t eaten or drank anything other than the water I gave her in a syringe. I’m not too worried about that because she never went off her food before birth and her kittens seem to be getting plenty of milk. Does anyone maybe have some more insight?

Attachments

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is she eating/drinking, and have you seen signs of her peeing/pooping in the litterbox. The vomit could be from you syringe feeding her. she does have something wrong if she doesn't start eating in the next few hours, it has been over a day? I would definitely set some water and wet food nearby and encourage her to come over and check it out. my cats have vomited up what you show and have been fine later. she may be off because of her labor and the kittens arriving, but she should have started eating 24 hours later. It's horrible, but I would bundle her and the babes up and take her in if she isn't better when they open, she could have a fever.

galaxywidewanderer

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Is she eating/drinking, and have you seen signs of her peeing/pooping in the litterbox. The vomit could be from you syringe feeding her. she does have something wrong if she doesn't start eating in the next few hours, it has been over a day? I would definitely set some water and wet food nearby and encourage her to come over and check it out. my cats have vomited up what you show and have been fine later. she may be off because of her labor and the kittens arriving, but she should have started eating 24 hours later. It's horrible, but I would bundle her and the babes up and take her in if she isn't better when they open, she could have a fever.
She still hasn’t had any interest in food. But she’s started drinking on her own. And she’s gone in the litter box successfully 4 times since they were born. I’m gonna take her and babies in to the vet as soon as I can call and convince them to see her even though I don’t have an appointment. I’m having to watch close now, because she seems confused. She acts like she wants to pick them up and puts her mouth around them and just keeps moving from one spot to the other. She didn’t have a mom so I’m hoping she’s just trying to figure out how to pick them up and doesn’t intend on hurting them.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Good! She may have an infection brewing. The vet will need to do a scan to see if anything is left in her uterus, but it’s not uncommon for pregnant cats not to eat for a day or so if they ate all the placentas. If she just feels puny, vet can give her anti-nausea meds or she may need calcium or B vitamins.

Her trying to move the kittens is instinct and not abnormal. Moms pick them up by the scruff to move them.

Let us know what the vet says!

galaxywidewanderer

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Good! She may have an infection brewing. The vet will need to do a scan to see if anything is left in her uterus, but it’s not uncommon for pregnant cats not to eat for a day or so if they ate all the placentas. If she just feels puny, vet can give her anti-nausea meds or she may need calcium or B vitamins.

Her trying to move the kittens is instinct and not abnormal. Moms pick them up by the scruff to move them.

That’s exactly what was going on. They said it looks like a GI infection. Momma is staying with the vet until we’re sure she’s okay. And I’m home with the kittens feeding with a syringe every two hours because both refused bottles and multiple different nipple types. So far it’s going really well. They have screamed both times I’ve had to feed them now right on the dot of when I started making their formula. It’s been almost 60 hours and I’ve only had 3 hours of sleep so I’m napping between feedings right now with alarms to make sure I wake up in time to feed. It’s not an easy task for sure. They hate being forcefed and I have to reheat the formula every couple minutes because it gets cold even though it’s 82° in my house. So that’s been frustrating. The vet told me they couldn’t guarantee anything when it came to mommas recovery so I’m assuming that means the infection is pretty bad. Which was obvious. I might be raising these kittens all on my own. If that’s how it ends up and momma passes, I’m not rehoming these babies. Their names right now are Yin (the dark one) and Yang (the white one). I’m doing all that I can between loss of sleep effecting my mental health and being low on food for myself. And it’s going really well if I do say so myself. Yin has pooped on me once, and peed twice, and Yang has peed twice.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It sounds like you are coping well, which is a good thing, and I’m hoping mom will be home soon to care for her babies.

A GI infection should not keep her from her babies for more than a couple days at most. The vet should be able to medicate her and send her home with meds that can continue so that she can recover WHILE nursing her babies. We do not want mom to pass away, and her babies need her!

So please check in with the vet and get mom home to her babies ASAP. They need her for more than just milk. She provides comfort and teaches them kitten manners and how to be a cat. I do not know why a vet would keep a new mom from her babies any longer than is medically necessary.

Last edited:

galaxywidewanderer

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

I don’t think I’m going to be able to do this. The kittens are refusing every bottle, the syringe makes them cry, and no matter what I do I only have 10 seconds of warm milk and then it’s cold to the touch. Even if they’re eating enough of it, the fact that it’s cold is going to kill them. I don’t know what to do. They have 3 blankets and they’re still not very warm, they’re only getting cold milk because it doesn’t stay warm, they don’t even want to eat. I’m completely melting down and all I want is a few minutes of sleep. It’s 4 in the morning and they’ve collectively had maybe 4-5ml of cold milk. I’m in pieces. These babies are going to die and it’s all my fault. I can’t drive anywhere to get them help, the only person who could help is unreachable unless they’re awake because they turn their phone off at night and they don’t wake up until 11:30 in the morning. This situation is just impossible. There’s nothing left I can do.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Hang in there! It can definitely be overwhelming.

You really need to get the mama cat home to nurse, which she can do while on antibiotics or other tummy meds. She is probably full of milk and needs to nurse.

Take the kittens to the vet’s office and ask to put them with the mother. Barring that, ask the vet techs to feed the kittens and to show you how they do it.

Regarding the milk, put the container of milk in a pot or bowl of warm water. It will keep the milk warm while you feed.

Please update!

galaxywidewanderer galaxywidewanderer