Heating pad ?

sweetlilac

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I finally hooked up a heating mat for my feral KittyKat. (Yes it sadly took a year to get outlet covers, etc,etc.) So sorry about that KittyKat.

Anyway it's plugged in. Wasn't sure: Do I put the mat where she sleeps at night (it gets into the 40's usually) or leave it out where she hangs during the day? This is the first day, so I left it out on a daytime chair, and she has been glued to it since she first sat on it. About 6 hours so far. Maybe 8. And it's about 60 or more outside. My guess is it's the first time she has felt warm anything next to her (other than me, petting her) since her siblings died two years ago. I mean, she's superglued to this mat!

Now - where to put the heated mat - more permanently? In her sleep cave? Leave it out in the day like it is now? Get a second one? (Do cats really want to sleep on a warm thing all night?) Would love input, thanks.

PS I could think about an outdoor house next, not sure she'd go in one... she's skittish about even coming inside our house, though she will she a couple of minutes here and there.

Attachments

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Since the sun is out during the day, she has a chance to warm up. If you only have one option, I would say in her night time place. Putting a second one out could be great. As long as she has away to get off it if it gets too hot. Also, is it where it will stay dry? Safety is important. She looks like she is sooooo content there! Yay for Kittykat! Hopefully she will learn how nice it is to be pampered and decide to come inside to live. She’s so beautiful! Sweet Kitty! Bravo for giving her such great comfort.

35 year catdad

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My sick ole Tortie loves hers as she's got low body temp. Hopeful only temp orary.
Its a K and H for animals and maybe a better temp. than the human ones.
Cats don't always know to get off a pad when its too hot so beware. I put a 1 inch foam pad on mine so shes not in direct contact with the pad. A timer would be a great addition? I would measure the temp so its not too hot.

Attachments

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sweetlilac

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Awww, shucks, but yeah, she cleaned up so nicely. She is a grooming freak too so she used to be a fuzzy whatever and now is so sleek. She loves combs, brushes of all sizes, don't stop!!! she wants more!!!!

Most important she is so sweet and gentle, she is polite and loving. It blows my mind. She is kind. Thoughtful. Communicative. I have learned so much from her. And to think I fed her/them for 8 years before her sibs died, and we never once "communicated" other than that.

I think I'll buy her a second mat but that means if she gets hot on it at night, she'll have to.... I know... I'll make a second sleep cave for her without a mat! Easy enough and I'd like to get a kitty house for her.

My hubby is a no on indoor cats. Sigh...

sweetlilac

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So true. How I would love to have KittyKat inside with me! But I do what I can... thanks for the kind words.

kittychick

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm sure KittyKat's going to LOVE having this as temps start dipping - what a good cat mom you are!!!! She looks like she's enjoying it as she dreams about how lucky she is to have someone who cares so much for her). I'm going to echo Jcatbird Jcatbird here (as always :)) but wanted to make sure - it is an outdoor rated one, isn't it? Not a "regular" human heating pad (they get too hot for kitties and just aren't safe to be unattended or outside). Even an outdoor rated one designed specifically for kitties needs to be used in a covered area (this is one of several types that we use in our garage with our TNR'd clan - Cozy Winters Outdoor Heated Cat Bed).

Since she'll be able to warm herself in the sun in the winter, if you only can have one right now I'd put this first one wherever she sleeps at night (assuming it's protected from the elements). You want to make sure that she's able to move off of it if she gets too warm (I've yet to have that happen in the winter!) - so any kind of kitty house you have, buy or make, be sure there's enough room for her to move off the pad if need be. Do you have any kind of shelter for her that's protected? Lots of us on here have made many of the "Double Rubbermaid" type shelter - - they're easy to make and use inexpensive materials. And they really do offer a good amount of protection from the elements while keeping more body heat inside. Put her new kitty heating pad inside and she'll be pretty cozy. AND you've got the added bonus now that her scent is on it, she'll likely take right to the shelter b/c she'll recognize - between the feel and scent - that the "fluffy sheepskin thing Mommy got" keeps her warm!

Keep us posted on how she's doing!

sweetlilac

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi and thanks for your input. I bought KittyKat a second pad so she could move about, day or eve. She has several resting places now, two heated, one in her cave-y area. One in the sun. She loves it!

I did try a Rubbermaid home for her and she wouldn't even go inside. Makes me worried about getting her something else, that she won't use it, and hence (another) waste of money. I think being feral she is fearful of being "trapped" somewhere.

Also. well, I will take the compliment, I'm doing what I can to give her a better life. I imagine she'd thank me in words if she could. For now, just purring and rolling around looking happy when I give her attention.

kittychick

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
DEFINITELY take the compliment! If all of the ferals in the world had more people caring for them - - we wouldn't have so many ferals in the world! (and the ones that are out there would be as happy as KittyKat!)

I've been there (as have most of us!) - you buy/make some wonderful shelter and they sleep under a bush instead! (kind of like buying a kid a toy and having them enjoy the box it came in instead). She seriously might be more likely to use it if you put one of the heating pads she's loving inside - - since it won't smell foreign to her. And yes - - some ferals refuse anything that doesn't have a second exit - an "escape hatch" if you will. Ours we care for have always been the opposite - - 2 exits - not a chance, 1 exit, and multiple cats take turns running in and grabbing the spot when the one inside comes out to eat!

So glad you were able to give her a second "warm spot!" Keep us posted on how she's doing! And if you need any tips if you do go to get her another house - just post - we'll all come running!

sweetlilac

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you for your offer. I'd love to get her a little house. Just worried after last fiasco. It did have the two escape hatches. She didn't even want to go inside. Not even once.

It does get cold, windy, rainy, and wet ... I worry about her. Her name... KittyKat, even now, she is so innocent, not all that big, and just looks like she could use some love and help from peoples.

However she's hooked on being groomed so she can "cat around" with any and all cats and show quite nicely!

kittychick

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Definitely having something that keeps her body heat in as much as possible (and keeps her dry - -another big factor in keeping warm!) is a big help in keeping her healthy. I really do know how frustrating it can be when they don't use what you got them. We also don't have a ton of disposable income, but we'd made a few "double RubberMaids" - - and one day hubby surprised me with 2 nice little "outdoor cat houses" that were nicely insulated, with heating mats already in the "floor" - and they had "roofs" that zipped off for easy cleaning (altho they couldn't be exposed to elements - - - which threw us both!). Of the 5 we were housing at that point - only 1 went in one of them exactly, you guessed it, once! However, they LOVED burrowing into the patio furniture stacked in the garage for winter!!!! (Hubby started calling the stack of chairs and side tables "the janky kitty condos" :lol:). Four years later they STILL haven't touched the "nice ones" he gave me/them!!!!! As we always say about them - they're all "their own dogs."

sweetlilac

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Great story, and sounds like you have a great hubby too!

An idea: yes, Kitty gets wet in the rain. It is so upsetting maybe more to me than her. She has some asthma or something that gets worse in the winter, I want to keep her safe.

I've seen cat houses that do zip shut, Maybe if I pet her and put the heated seat in one? with the lid off? Right now i have made a "cave" with cat thermal blankets on either side of a patio lounger and pushed it under the patio table. There is a cover to the patio but not much protection from wind and rain. Things still get wet on a nasty weather day.

For a cat she seems strangely uncurious. I thought cats liked going into boxes?

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I found that the ferals here loved going under simple tarps that I got at Dollar General! I tied them with the middle up a bit higher, like a circus tent. Pitched down on all sides. I put my patio furniture underneath and blankets in the chairs. A small table just a bit higher was over the chair seat. This kept everything dry and kept the wind off. The tarp has grommets and I secured as many as needed to keep the tarp still in the wind and secure. When the cats started using it, I added a second layer of tarp to hold more heat down and it made such a warm nest that I could go under the edge to lay beside the kitties. I added a second tarp beside the first to act as a dining room. Lol Before it was all over, I added a third to be a bathroom. All together it only cost about 25 dollars for the tarps and another few dollars for the cord to tie down the tarps. I had some concrete blocks in the yard that I used to toe the tarps too and keep it weighted down. Even in hurricane winds, they stayed put. If you start with a single tarp, you’ll be able to see if she likes it before much of an investment.
I bought two of those zippered houses. My cats did the same as kittychick kittychick cats. Lol I finally just had tarps all around my property. Cat tents! Camping out with kitties is actually kind of fun.

35 year catdad

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I just read about a new Purina? not sure...cat food that reduces allergies by altering saliva Thats where the problem comes from in case your hubby is allergic. Once hes had a warm purring lover cat on his lap or chest on a cold day...well that will do it.
Especially if his eyes and nose arent affected.
I had two highly allergic roommates yrs ago with my indoor only kitty but they soon adapted. Indoor only cats are less allergic to us. Forgot why. I'm really tired so excuse me if I missed that allergies arent his cat problem.

sweetlilac

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The Purina is interesting but not dh's issues. He knows he'd be doing all the caretaking (litter, etc) and for some reason was never an "animal guy". Since he is in the health professions he is so compassionate in general, and I've never understood his lack of interest in animals. I grew up with horses, dogs, cats, birds, ... on and on. I love animals! The look on Kitty's face when I say good morning to her is priceless! She is truly full of joy and it is contagious!

sweetlilac

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
As for the tarps, interesting idea. I will have to think of a way, perhaps, to put some tarps around her general area, perhaps? It gets cold, windy and rainy even under the porch and even when I push her lounge chair under the table.

Attachments